“Super Thoughtful Staff Made It a Stay To Remember”

Loews Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #7 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 19, 2011

My husband and I traveled to Philadelphia for the flower show in March. It was also a celebration of my husband's 65th birthday and his retirement all rolled into one. When making the reservation I let them know how important this celebration was. The staff all went out of their way to make our stay special. Although we had booked an upgraded room, they upgraded it further giving us a corner room on a high floor with a teriffic view. The room was extra large and located in a very private, quiet area of the hotel. They even sent us a complimentary welcome tray of fruit, cheeses and other goodies. Very thoughtful of them to do that. The stay was wonderful, made even better by their efforts. We would certainly recommend this hotel to friends or family for a super special getaway. Great hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 18, 2011

Stayed here for just one night over a weekend to attend a wedding in town. Apparently we were not alone,there were lots of wedding groups in the same hotel. First a positive note: the front desk staff were both friendly and efficient. Now the not so positive: The parking in the hotel is very expensive, $36 per night, but it was raining cats and dogs all day and we paid it gladly to just have the car in the same building. The hotel is badly designed. The room numbering system was very complex and an array of elevators from the lobby were assigned to various floors, so you really had to read the signs to make sure that the elevator you got onto went to your floor.. Our room was just off the elevator lobby area which is really noisy. The hotel generally has awful sound dampening qualities. Hard floors, and high ceilings made the entire place noisy all the time. You could hear every "bing" from the elevator. Thelocal area around the hotel is "OK" but nothing special. My advice is to try elsewhere. Hotel is not a good pick. Would not recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JJH1
Reviewed April 10, 2011

A perfect visit was marred by an unusual experience. I was attending a conference at the hotel and took a break to get some things from my room. There was a cleaning cart outside my room, and the door had a card inserted in the door indicating that cleaning staff were inside. The door was locked from the inside and I couldn't get in. I knocked loudly with no response. Puzzled and needing to get into my room, I waited nearby in a sitting area by the elevators, peering down the hallway at the cart outside my locked room. I waited 20 minutes before calling the front desk, who responded by saying that they were sending a supervisor up to my floor. Finally 40 minutes after I first tried to get in, the person in my room left, moving the cart briskly away. No hotel supervisor ever appeared. Wondering what had occurred in my room for 40 minutes I spent some more time looking through my belongings to see if anything was disturbed, but I could not find anything missing or misplaced.

A very strange and a bit unnerving experience! I was hoping I think that the hotel management would also have thought so given it's reputation and cost of lodging. This is probably just a unique strange experience but....

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Mylonite
Reviewed April 8, 2011

The concierge never sent my travel confirmation after 2 phone calls, waited 45 mins at the airport for my car service and called the hotel to complain, you would think at that point they would have looked up my reservation to make sure my room was ready. I arrived, my premium wasnt ready, they bumped me down to another room. The hallways are dirty, room was dirty. There was a dirty handtowel, fingerprints all on the tissue box and amenity boxes. The armoire and desk were beat up and carpet was filthy. There was barely any hot water in the shower. I would never stay at this hotel again. I will continue to use the Ritz Carlton Philadelphia for business trips.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank vbo303
Reviewed March 24, 2011

The location is so central to many near by hotels, restaurants, shopping space and also to bus stops. The service is good, the staff are always so helpful and caring. We were in the executive club and the staff up there are so nice and caring as well as informed they made our life easier especially we are not US citizens and there is a lot for us to know about to go around the transportation and places. They have wifi in the lobby. very nice breakfast buffet and dinner menu. Prices are reasonable.

Reviewed March 16, 2011

The hotel staff was extremely friendly, courteous and valued customer service. There was a great ambiance in the hotel, but nothing extraordinary. Upon arrival our credit card authorization form was not on file, but was faxed a few days prior to arrival. Apparently, it was faxed to their centralized headquarters in another state that only had normal business hours and were not open on the day we arrived. For the inconvenience, one of our parties rooms was upgraded to the "nicer" rooms on the higher floors. I was lucky (or unlucky) and go to stay in the "nicer" room. The view was great, but there was nothing special about the upgrade room. It was a basic hotel room with uncomfortable pillows. A plus to the upgrade and being in a so called premium room we had access to the free continental buffet in the morning- what a surprise and a nice extra if you're on business/at a conference and on the run. If you are a light sleeper, be aware! The walls are extremely thing and I was kept up all three night of might stay due to noisy neighbors, doors shutting, and the elevator opening and closing.The internet was $10/day and parking $36, so not very pocket friendly.

Overall, if you're on business and your company is paying for you to stay here, great. The location is perfect for downtown and for use of conference facilities, but if you have the luxury of picking your own hotel--- go somewhere else with thicker walls and "real" luxury at a cheaper price in the same location.

Reviewed March 14, 2011

I'm pretty sure the previous reviewer's experience ("dingy") was an exception to most people's experience at the Loew's. I just returned from a week at the Loews and I did not have any of the issues that were discussed in the previous post.
I have traveled to Philadelphia four times in the past year for research and the Loew's has been the best hotel thus far (others I've stayed at include: Crowne Plaza, Sheraton Society Hill).

Best parts of my experience:

1) The location: The Loews is right across the street from the Market East train station terminal from the airport. It is within two blocks from the Reading Terminal Market, 13th street (some of the best restaurants in town: El Vez, for example), Macy's, the Broad Street line/subway. Minutes walk to shopping on Walnut/Chesnut. And a quick subway trip or longer walk to Old City. You couldn't be situated in a more convenient location.

2) The service: In all of my travel for business and leisure, the Loew's has the most attentive and kind staff. Very eager to please, always greeting you with a smile, and just about every staff member I came in contact with (whether it be on the elevator, in the hallway, or the doorman) asked if there was anything they could do to make the stay more enjoyable. Room service was quick, housekeeping attentive, and concierge very informative.

3) The view!!: I stayed in the cheapest type of room and I had the perfect view of city hall--it was absolutely beautiful at night! Really made the entire experience.

4) The room: Very soft sheets, nice pillows, ipod/alarm docking station, keurig machine with all different kinds of k-cups to choose from (free of charge), a chaise lounge (quite comfortable to get work done!), robe/slippers, plenty of extra towels in the bathroom.

5) The fitness room: The largest fitness facility I have seen in a hotel. It was huge. About 15-20 Cybex cardio machines: from treadmills to ellipticals to bikes all equipped with their own television screen (I'm a big runner so this is very important). Large area for weight lifting, Flat screen tvs on the walls. Apples and lemon/lime water available post workout. Locker rooms/changing areas. Spa is attached to fitness facility. Lap pool is also available. The gym is staffed at all times if you need anything.

Never noticed the hotel being 'dingy', noisy or terribly crowded. You may wait a minute or two for the elevators but that seems to be par for the course at most business hotels.

If you do stay here, I would recommend El Vez and Vintage (wine bar) for dining on 13th street. I also really enjoyed Max Brenner: Chocolate by the Bald Man on 15th, I think. There is a Wawa close to Terminal Market for bottled water, fruit, etc. DIdn't try the restaurant connected to the hotel bc/ of the reviews on TA.

2  Thank the_farmers_wife54