“Check-in STILL a problem and a few minor complaints”

The Logan Philadelphia, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #22 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
ohio
“Check-in STILL a problem and a few minor complaints”
Reviewed January 1, 2007

Well, they still haven't improved their check-in policy. I arrived at 1:30 and was hoping to check in a bit early, as I had a conference paper to give at 3:30 7 blocks away. I was told the room "was clean--they were just doing the finishing touches to it," so I asked how long they thought it would take. At that point I was told "they couldn't guarantee me a room until 3." I went to the bathroom, returned, only to find several other groups checking in. When I asked about my own room, I was told it still wasn't ready! Now perhaps all of the other people checking in before me had reserved huge suites. But I had the distinct sense that, because I had a slightly discounted conference rate, they were not going to give me a room until three because they preferred to hold the empty rooms in case other customers showed up. I suppose this policy makes sense economically, but why stay at the 4 seasons if one is going to be treated like a 2nd-class citizen? Only go to this hotel if you're paying rack rate, in other words.

On the plus side, they now have their story down. But, it gives the impression the room will be ready in a moment, when what they really mean is go away and come back at 3. I admit to being surprised--this is the first time I've stayed at a hotel where the front desk has been so absolutely unapologetic or unaccomodating and it was a bit surprising. Even a "so sorry--we're fully booked because of the conference" would have made a difference.

For what it's worth, here are my other observations:
Plus side:
Nice, tastefully furnished rooms
Very comfortable bed and sheets
Great doormen and very thoughtful valet parking--the gentleman even made good suggestions on what luggage to send up and what I should keep with me.

Negatives:
I was not terribly impressed with the spa area. Frankly, it was not nearly as nice as the gyms I'm used to in the Bay Area. I went down there at the suggestion of the front desk to try to relax before my panel. But, it was cramped, there was no comfortable place to sit, and they hadn't replenished their supply of grooming items at the counter, which was a problem since my luggage was in limbo somewhere.
Also, I had no verizon coverage anywhere in the hotel that I could find. I was sort of dismayed to pay $5 for the imported chocolate bar from the minibar (no chocolates on the pillow, sigh) only to find that it was fake "suisse" chocolate (made in the USA) that was quite bad. Spoiled by Trader Joes chocolate, who would have thought?
Finally, I admit to missing a coffee maker in the room to make some herbal tea at night or a pot of coffee in the morning. Call me frugal, but I just couldn't summon up the gumption to order $10 cups of tea or coffee. (Actually, I knew my husband would kill me).
Finally, the rooms aren't terribly soundproofed, and I had little kids in the room next to me pulling on the connecting door handle and trying to get the door open late into the evening.

No doubt all of these smaller issues would not have bothered me as much if I had been treated a bit better at check in. All in all, it's a beautiful hotel. But, I've realized it's nicer to be treated like royalty at a mid-tier hotel than like riff-raff at the 4 seasons.

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — Check-in
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank OhioElky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
staten island, ny
Reviewed October 31, 2006

Wonderful hotel.....booked an exexcutive suite online- we were upgraded to a huge Liberty suite- two full baths, giant living room, beautiful dining room, kichenette, huge bedroom.....Three wonderful windos opened looking directly (About 100 yards) on the fountain in logan sqaure....service was flawless....wonderful bellman, great concierge....check-in was a pleasure....food was fantastic - had roomservice breakfast....drinks in Sann lounge..all top notch....beautiful location....no noise from th street below...A/C easy to use..... beautiful facilities.... room nicely redone.... great toiletries.... a truee 5 star experience...already planning our trip back....

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maverick1653
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2006

This was a very beautiful hotel. Rooms were very comfortable and even though it is next to a major junction, the room was adequately soundproofed. The standard is what you expect of a four/five star hotel and furnishings/fittings were of very high quality. The room was also large and bedlinen was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on. Breakfast was qhat you expect of a hotel like this and also priced to the standard. The health spa had a beautiful pool, large jacuzzi plus the changing rooms were very clean and well maintained. The staff I encountered were extremely polilte and helpful too. The only fault I could make was that it was a slight walk to the shopping areas and slightly longer to Liberty Hall/Bell. Overall, very impressive and well recommended.

3 Thank 15may06
Paris, France
Reviewed October 24, 2006

I have stayed at this Four Seasons over the years. It is such a pleasure to keep returning to a hote that gets better all the time. The rooms have all been recently refurbished, and although the style of decor is still a little "federalist traditional" for my taste, the rooms are lovely in a very clean, understated but supremely comfortable way. On our last visit, I had an Executive Suite with balcony overlooking Logan Circle and the Fountain. I twas just the perfect size for four days with my husband. The living room was a bit small, square-foot wise, because the balcony was set-back into the building. but it was worth it. Being able to open the sliders and get in all the fresh air was a treat. I imagine people who try to cram their entire families into this room type would be pressed for space, but I book additional rooms for my children.

My older daughter and my small son occupied another large deluxe room (not a suite) and my mother had her own nicely sized superior room which faced the back garden courtyard. Very pleasant.

The service is really what sets this hotel apart. It is so warm and personalized and efficient as not to be believed. I stay at many four seasons and always expect good service, but by the end of my stay I felt like a celebrity!. I was greeted at every turn by name, the assistant director of rooms came out to meet me personally because I had made specific requests regarding our room choices and the wait staff in all the restaurants are amazing. The Food and Beverage manager of the hotel, Mr. Linsley, runs an incredible empire of excellent dining venues with a vast array of dining choices, bars, food, wine and most of all a superb dining staff with excellent service.

Over the years this hotel has evolved from a slightly stuffy hotel in a second-tier market where one stayed when one happened to be in Philadelphia. but the service was so awesome on our last trip that I am starting to think of this hotel as a destination in itself...especially now that Philadelphia is even more fun and vibrant than ever.

Great job, Four Seasons Philadelphia!!

• Liked — First-rate furnishings, bed, luxurious quality to all aspects of accomodations
  • Disliked — Placement of tv's which are outdated and should be changed
  • Tips/Secrets — Platinum Amex plan is a great deal
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dancemacabre
Toronto
Reviewed October 4, 2006

Service, furnishings and the atmosphere at the Four Seasons at Philadelphia were again terrific. This time, the family came and we had a suite.

Covering off the basics first, all Four Seasons' rooms are on the small side - even the suites. What you're paying for is the service, room furnishings, beds and toiletries which are all first class. If you are not planning to use the services - room service, concierge, bellman - then perhaps stay elsewhere. But if you want the full experience, the Four Seasons Philadelphia staff continue to live up to their reputation of remembering your name and providing outstanding, proactive service.

The only clanger was that Hi speed internet was an extra $10/day - time to get with the times and start providing your travellers with what they need for the cost of the rooms. Particularly when the hotel used to provide the service free in the lobby, but has stopped.

I continue to recommend the Four Seasons Philadelphia, but only 4 stars until the Internet is included.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank The_Lewis
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed September 13, 2006

Stayed at the hotel with my wife as an anniversary gift while I was taking my LSAT at Temple University. We did the breakfast with the room deal and the food was delicious! However, when I made a spa massage appointment for her, they neglected to confirm the appointment to me (something I found out later) and so when she went down there, they do not have her on their schedule. They still took her for another service though, but nevertheless damage was done. Overall the experience was good, and the staff was extremely friendly. Just make sure you get a confirmation for your hotel activities.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eric M
berwick, pa
Reviewed September 13, 2006

I just returned from a stay at the Four Seasons Philadelphia with my husband and three boys (10,7,4). We booked an executive suite for the weekend to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday, and had a lovely time in the city.
The room was well sized, with a sitting room (large pull out couch) and a separate bedroom closed off by french doors.
While the room had a lovely view of Logan Square, it was what I would expect from a nice hotel. Everything was very clean, with the exception of very faint, almost imperceptible staining on the carpet (not that I can complain, because my 4-year-old promptly spilled root beer on said carpet.) The bathroom was very nice with L'Occitane toiletries, and the bedroom was very comfortable.
I expected everything to be in order and it certainly was. What suprised me, however, was just how nice all of the staff were. From check-in, where a red wagon was rolled out with small gifts for the boys; to the phenomenal room service (delicious food) that featured child-size eating utensils; to the pool, which had baskets of kick-boards and floaties--a sincere effort was made to make my children feel welcome.
It's often difficult to find a room that accomodates 5 people (even when 3 of them are small). Indeed, we'd originally booked two separate rooms at the Ritz Carlton in Philly (they couldn't guarantee adjoining rooms), but switched to the Four Seasons because there were many options available for our size group.
Rather than the stuffy atmosphere that you can often find in 5 star hotels, the staff here seemed generally pleased to help you, and were always accomodating.
If you have children, and are still interested in a luxurious hotel experience, I highly recommend the Four Seasons Philadelphia. For my boys, meeting Sylvester Stallone in the lobby during Rocky Week was the icing on the cake.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — expense, but it was expected
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family