“Exactly What You Want in a FS”

The Logan Philadelphia, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #12 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Exactly What You Want in a FS”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Everything about my four nights at this hotel was a pleasure. An easy and personable check-in at 2 pm. A generously sized room overlooking the fountain in Logan Circle. A reasonable package rate inclusive of breakfast (reasonable by comparison to hotels such as the Sheraton, Omni, etc. for which rates seemed out of whack during the time I was there -- the rate at FS was much better than the rate at the Ritz ). So here are the details: the room had two double beds, desk, dresser, good sized closet (with mini-fridge for keeping dinner leftovers). Missing from the room was a comfortable chair (other than the desk chair), for which there was ample room. Super clean. No chipped or worn furniture or furnishings. The sheets were the usual high quality one finds at a FS. The bathroom was well appointed with plenty of towels, very nice robes and L'Occitane toiletries, which were plentifully replaced. Good strong Speakman shower. Room temperature controls worked nicely (windows could be opened too). Housekeeping twice a day (at evening, the ice bucket was filled). No extra charge for basic and adequate wi-fi (you can upgrade for a charge). Breakfast off the menu was terrific, and the hostess remembered my name and preferred table each morning after the first. While the Fountain Restaurant was closed for dinner while we were there, the Swan Lounge was a very nice place for a relaxed light dinner, and while menu prices are the ususal sky high, portions were good and shareable. The pool and fitness room were nice, with good amenities in the locker room. Sauna, steam, geat shower, etc. Food can be ordered at the pool, and the cheese tray and drinks we ordered came down in short order. While the hotel is formally decorated, it is so in a contemporary way, so there is no feeling of stuffiness. One is not uncomfortable in shorts and a collared pullover in the public spaces, except perhaps on Saturday night when there were folks milling about in formalware for a function. This contrasted nicely with the FS in NY, which had rather cold and formal feeling public spaces, beautiful though it was. The FS Philadelphia is well located just a few blocks from City Hall, and a few more blocks after that to Independence Mall, Broad Street, and the rest of Center City. The hotel is just a long block from the Barnes (highly recommended), a beautiful public library and the Philadelphia Art Museum. If you deign to ride the double decker tour bus (which I recommend if you are visiting for the first time), you will be pleased that there is a stop right around the corner from the hotel entrance. My weekend at the FS was exactly what I had hoped for . . . nothing dissapointed.

Room Tip: Logan Circle view is worth the premium.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Michael N, Hotel Manager at The Logan Philadelphia, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear 6101FCD,

Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your recent stay in Philadelphia. The details you used to describe the surronding area, hotel features and service is what we hope each guest receives when they depart the hotel. We appreciate all your feedback and we look forward to your return in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Two weeks ago, we stayed there for two great nights at the executive suit after a long red eye flight from California for our son's college moving.
Great service including complimentary espresso bar at the hotel lobby in the morning.
Very friendly staffs, specially hotel manager, Mr. Michael Nenner :)
Definatetly want to go back and we already have booked for our October visit to Philadelphia!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank M90049
Dear M90049,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for kind comments regarding our staff. I'm so glad that all of us were able to make your stay perfect and we look forward to seeing you again in October.

Delran, New Jersey
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed at the Four Seasons for three nights in August for a Philly getaway. We do this about twice a year and stay at a different hotel each time. The Four Seasons is the best hotel in town, the only Forbes (Mobil) 5-star in Philadelphia, and clearly a step up above most of the rest. We had a "superior king" guest room, the least expensive room because it is on the middle floors and overlooks the hotel's own courtyard, rather than having a more classic "view", i.e., overlooking the center-city skyline or the famed Swan Fountain across the street. Our accommodations were luxurious by any other hotel's standard: a overly large room with lovely furnishings, a marble bathroom, and soft terry robes. Our view of the courtyard was very pleasant: it overlooked a lovely quiet little green spot with fountains. We were lucky enough to see a wedding take place there one evening. The other public spaces in the hotel are elegant and very well appointed.

The hotel's Fountain restaurant is one of only two Forbes (Mobil) 5-stars in Philadelphia, the other being LaCroix in Rittenhouse Square, which is also wonderful and just a few blocks away. I had the Fountain's 6-course tasting menu, which was absolutely delicious. The waitstaff was very friendly and fun, and much less stuffier than we had expected they'd be because of the formal atmosphere.

We had a nightcap at the Swann Lounge each evening. We sat right at the bar, and the bartender was very personable and attentive to us. After the first night, he recognized us when we returned.

The location of the hotel is within walking distance of Rittenhouse Square, the Kimmel Center, the Philadelphia Art Museum, the new Barnes Foundation Museum, the Rodin Museum, and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, and many fine restaurants west of Broad Street in Center City, Fairmount, and Art Museum districts.

We had a grand time on our getaway and were very happy with our stay. We would recommend the Four Seasons to anyone.

Room Tip: Because we chose to go in mid-August when business is slow all around town, our room rate was consid...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tomas V, Manager at The Logan Philadelphia, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Linda270,
Thank you for the wonderful comments on your recent stay with us. We were pleased to read that you liked the view of your room as well as the furnishing and amenities.

We were also thrilled to learn that your dinner in the Fountain Restaurant was enjoyable and the service personalized. We were especially pleased to read that you were recognized by our bartender in the Swann Lounge. We are very proud of our staff and rest assured we will share your comments with them.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us about your experience. We look forward to your return!

Tomas Vlasek
Director of Food and Beverage
Cheshire
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stayed two nights and were very pleased. All the staff were so friendly and helpful. Location is good for art galleries etc. It is simply an excellent five star hotel. The spa is very nice. Our room did not have an easy chairs which I guess is my minor negative.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
AA_Armstrong, Director of Sales at The Logan Philadelphia, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. While we do not have easy chairs, we hope that you found the rest of the room extremely comfortable. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My stay at the Philadelphia Four Seasons was fine -- no more or less. Although there were a few small annoyances, nothing was terrible but I was definitely underwhelmed. I have stayed at this hotel previously, but it won't be my first choice next time I am in Philadelphia. The staff is friendly and helpful, but the hotel needs updating.

The first room they gave me smelled of smoke so I asked to be moved, which they did immediately and without any fuss.

The room I ended up in was spacious, but felt a little dated, especially the bathroom with its older tub and shower curtain. Personally, I prefer a glass stall shower with a rain shower.

The two small annoyances were the TV and the safe. The TV is a big flat screen with lots of channels, but the remote seemed slow to react so I'd hit a button and it would seem like nothing was happening so I'd hit it again and then either change the channel inadvertently or turn the TV off just when it was actually starting to turn on.

The other thing that bugged me was the safe. It is an ancient safe that is tiny and barely fits anything. There is no chance of getting a laptop in there and the worst part is that it uses an actual key! When I left to go running, I had to bring the key on its metal chain with me each time. Again a small thing, but at an upscale hotel you expect attention to the small details like a modern, digital safe spacious enough for a laptop.

The best part of the room was the bed. It was amazingly comfortable.

The location is good but you need to temper your expectations a bit and get a good rate; otherwise, there are better choices in Philadelphia.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Michael N, Hotel Manager at The Logan Philadelphia, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Inbru,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay and I'm sorry that this stay didn't exceed your expectations. We do have plans to update the property in the very near future and I ask that you contact me directly to make reservations and I will make sure your stay goes as expected.

Thank you again and I hope you give us another chance to exceed your expectations.

Robbinsville, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Staff was very accommodating, the hotel is lovely and in a nice location. Bar restaurant had delicious food, if a little pricey. Was there for a room to crash in, so didn't use a lot of amenities, but everything I saw or experienced was first rate.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear AaronH,

Thank you for your feedback. We truly value every single comment of yours. We were delighted to learn that you found our staff very accommodating and liked the location of the hotel.

I was glad to read that you found the Swann Lounge & Bar food delicious, I will certainly share your comments with the Culinary team.

Hopefully you will have more time to spend in our hotel on your next visit so that you can enjoy all the amenities we offer.

Thank you for your valuable comments!

Tomas Vlasek
Director of Food and Beverage
Hometown, USA
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This place was a disaster. Facilities ok. We had the misfortune of staying on the property at the same time as Jay-Z and the other entourages for the Made in America event, although our event was scheduled more than a year in advance. Even though I called repeatedly to confirm, our room was not ready at check-in time. In fact it was not ready for more than an hour after I had been promised the room. To make matters worse, I repeatedly asked if there was a schedule or anything left for me by our group. I was told there was not. Turns out there was a welcome bag with the schedule in it--which was finally delivered to our room 2 hrs after we got (late) possession of the room and an hour AFTER we were supposed to be at an event--which we missed!
That added to rude and aggressive "security" people confronting my family as we walked down the hall to a family member's room---I'll find someplace else to stay! Would advise others to run away as quickly as possible---especially if you're looking for good, reasonable, consistent service. I have been at many hotels when "celebrities" were in residence and usually don't even know they're there because the hotel is trained and equipped to handle it. Not this place or this staff.
For someone who has spent 12 nights in hotels in the past month, this is without question or doubt the worst hotel service I have received in many, many years.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SuitcaseAdventurer
Michael N, Hotel Manager at The Logan Philadelphia, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear SuitcaseAdventurer,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay this past weekend. I'm very sorry to hear that your stay wasn't perfect and that we didn't get you right as it relates to your room not being ready and missing the package. We pride ourselves on providing consistent service to all guests and I'm sorry we failed.

I would like to discuss this further if possible and have included my contact information below. I apologize again and look forward to speaking with you if possible.

michael.nenner@fourseasons.com