“Very surprised”

Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Prince George, Virginia
“Very surprised”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Id heard about this place from friends and decided to pay them a visit one day. It's a nice size seemingly friendly place with a down home feel. The food is buffet style or you can get take out platters if you want. They charge by weighing the platter. The food was great. They had a good selection of side and the choice of meats was great. The taste was indescribable. Talk about delicious. Even after taking some home and reheating it, it was great. Their drinks however are ridiculously expensive with no refills. They have a special lemonade the make I believe it's called an island something but it was out of this world. The also offer desserts. I decided to try something that caught my eye from my table. A humongous strawberry which I was told was hand dipped in chocolate and stuffed with a pleasant surprise. This was by far the best starwberry I've ever had I my life. Over all I'd deff eat their again and again. The atmosphere was nice the staff was friendly and the food was great...

• Visited June 2012

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We rarely go out to eat, as we enjoy cooking ourselves. Nevertheless, the decision to try out Picanha in Philly was a good one. At the end we were surprised by the quality of true Brazilian cuisine and friendliness of staff, even though the place itself inside and outside does not look too fancy. If it weren't for Groupon, we would have most likely not tried it.

Without doubt, we'll come back with friends!

• Visited June 2012
philadelphia
“Shhh.....Top Secret Brazilian Charmer”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I love Brazilian Grills. For those of you who have never tried, and are carnivores, you must find one. In a typical Brazilian Grill, there is a salad bar (not what you're used to) and meat, meat, and more meat. The salad bar normally contains many Brazilian side dishes, i.e. plantains, potato salad, kale, etc. Some of the more expensive places lure you in with shrimp, oysters, clams, fisf and pork shoulder, (obviously so you don't eat a lot of entrees.

The biggest attraction at a Brazilian Grill is the 'all you can eat' factor. Servers, dressed in 'goucho garb, walk around the dining room with skewers and skewers of meat. Anything you can imagine is served; including sirloin, pork loin, garlic steak, picanha (sirloin that has been salted while cooking), lamb chops, etc., etc., etc.

Prices can average around $40-$50/person plus drinks, taxes and tips. Caipirinha is Brazil's national drink and they can pack a wallop. Basically, its a sugar cane rum, fused with sugar and muddled limes. One and you're feeling pretty good; two, and I hope you're not driving. Anymore and you might just wake up in an alley way a couple of days later. This is not an inexpensive drink. Obviously, you can readily see that your bill can run up to that 3 figure level, per person.

If you live in or around the Philadelphia area, I have a treat for you. The Picanha Brazilian Grill is Phillys' version of a 'blue collar' Brazilian Grill. It's fantastic. it's BYOB and most of all, about 50% less expensive. You bring your own ingredients for your drink and the staff will make your Caipirinhas at no extra charge. The salad bar might not be as expansive as other places. but it is enough. Remember, the main reason why you're coming to this restaurant in the first place, is for the meat. Juicy, perfectly grilled meat. Now, you can have the Rodizio (they come to you with the meat), or go to the grill, have them slice it for you and pay for it by the pound. Why pay for the extras if you're not that hungry? Eat a couple pounds of meat and you're paying around $15.00/person.

If there is still enough room, you must try the desserts. Notice the plural use of the word. They are great and totally inexpensive. My wife and I usually take out 4-5 desserts. All kinds of cake, flan, puddings, etc. Don't forget the Treys Leches cake. OMG...it's heavenly!

Sorry if this was a long review, but I couldn't help myself. Here's a final tip. Try it during the week. Less crowded (less meat choices as well) and they are listed on restaurant.com.

Bon Appetite!

1 Thank gao1014
USA
“If you like down to earth ambiance ... great food ...”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We have been coming here with friends on many occasions. The food is good and the atmosphere is down to earth. Bring your own cachaça and limes, and they will whip up your caipirinha. You have to options, one is all you can eat (with the cook bringing out the meat to the table) or you can eat by weight. Either way. They have fresh fruit drinks, as well as an excellent array of dessert.

philadelphia
“Better than Rio”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Although this restaurant is more of less in my area and has been open for some time, I just visited it with family. We took a bottle of cachacha we bought in Rio some years ago and has the
staff make a pitcher of capirainas. They brought back cocktail glasses with delicious ones. I knew it was going to be a good night. We sampled the ample salad bar, which had many delights, but saved lots of room for the grilled meats, which were superb, perfectly seasoned. We also saved room for dessert, and the options were many. Dessert was great too. My only other experience with this kind of dinner was in Rio, where I thought the meats were overly salted. I had been reluctant to go to this restaurant because I was afraid the same would be true. It wasn't, and
we will be back.