“Still thinking about the Rice Pudding...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kanella Grill - CLOSED

Kanella Grill
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: 10th Street
Description: Kanella is a Greek restaurant located in the Washington Square neighborhood of Philadelphia.
Vienna, Virginia
“Still thinking about the Rice Pudding...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2010

My husband and I drove up to the Philly area for the day and made our first stop of the outing, for brunch, at Kanella’s. We chose this restaurant because of a Food Network feature on one of their breakfast dishes. We ordered quite a few options: French pressed coffee, cold almond milk (tasted like marzipan), Kanella platter (stuffed grape leaves, white beans, falafel, fried eggplant, Spicy tomato salad, tzanziki, olives and pita) and the Roast lamb sandwich (with feta, dill and spinach). Our two desserts were: Galatopoureko and Rice Pudding (just delicious—served warm). Everything was very good, as was the service (though not fast or rushed). We look forward to going back when in the area. As mentioned in previous reviews, the restaurant is small. There were a handful of tables outside. We were lucky to find street parking; however there was a paid lot not too far from the restaurant.

1 Thank spontaneoustrip

Columbus, Ohio
“Can't wait to go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2010

My mom loves Greek cuisine, and I saw some good reviews here so I suggested we check it out. At first I'll admit I was a bit wary. I had looked at their menu online and saw some "interesting" dishes. We still went and are thankful because we had a wonderful experience. Our server was very friendly and helpful with his recommendations and suggestions. We had the dips of the day appetizer and were very impressed with all of the dips. For the meal we shared the Greek salad and Arni (Grilled Top loin of lamb with Macedonian Giuvetsi). Our server offered to split them in the kitchen but we opted to split it ourselves so he got us fresh plates and silverware both times. Also he timed each dish coming out perfectly. Both dishes were fantastic. The salad was awesome and very refreshing. The feta cheese on top, if possible, tasted better than any I have had before. The lamb was cooked just right (we ordered medium rare) and the seasonings were balanced extraordinarily well. We has such a wonderful experience that the next time we're near Philadelphia we will most certainly return.

1 Thank And_By-The-Way
johnnyt918
“Astounded by the quaint but cute decor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

Kanella is a great Greek BYO. My appetizerSSSS (yes, that would be two) began with the Dips of the Day, a collection of hummus and Greek sauces accompanied with pita bread, and Koube, a very interesting lamb dish with sour cream-ish dressing.

My entree was an absolute delight—a roasted branzino fish stuffed with rosemary and roasted/sauteed vegetables. HOWEVER, the dessert was the show stopper. It was one of the most moist, delectable chocolate cakes I have had in many years. Imagine the cake as an island surrounded by a sea of caramel and Himalayas of vanilla ice cream. Truly extraordinary.

What I found most interesting was that there was one waiter for the restaurant (it was a small restaurant), but he was able to serve the entire room of 25-30 people with much ease (with a little help from the maitre d).

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Awesome Greek restaurant. It's not a straight forward "traditional" Greek but they make it even better. We tried the...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2010

Awesome Greek restaurant. It's not a straight forward "traditional" Greek but they make it even better. We tried the Vegetarian soup (of the day), Roasted Beet root salad (so fresh), "fish kebab" (with amazingly so much flavor rice), Roasted Lamb sandwich (perfect on 7-grain roll). The baklava is great too! I love the atmosphere and decor, even the bathroom. Recommended.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Outstanding food at a gem of a restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2010

It was a cold, snowy night in the city but that didn't stop us from going to Kanella, recently reviewed as excellent by Philadelphia Magazine. We got there early so went across the street to the Varga Bar, which has quite an impressive selection of beers and a cool vibe as well.
Even though we had to wait about 15 minutes for our table, the food was well worth the wait! The dining room is crowded and noisy but to me that is part of the charm. Being a byob is a plus for us as we go out quite a bit in the city and like to choose our own wines. But the food....
We started with the dips which were the best I have ever had. I had monkfish for my main course and it was excellent. My friend had the whole fish which was unbelievable as well. I do think the prices were a little high, entrees being in the $30 range, but you only get what you pay for. My husband had the lamb and my friend's husband had pork and they were both to die for. We finished with several mouthwatering desserts, the phyllo pastry being the best and of course, Greek coffee.
I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants true Greek food...loved it!

1 Thank phillygal2