“Awesome Greek restaurant. It's not a straight forward "traditional" Greek but they make it even better. We tried the...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kanella Grill - CLOSED

Kanella Grill
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: 10th Street
Description: Kanella is a Greek restaurant located in the Washington Square neighborhood of Philadelphia.
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2010

Awesome Greek restaurant. It's not a straight forward "traditional" Greek but they make it even better. We tried the Vegetarian soup (of the day), Roasted Beet root salad (so fresh), "fish kebab" (with amazingly so much flavor rice), Roasted Lamb sandwich (perfect on 7-grain roll). The baklava is great too! I love the atmosphere and decor, even the bathroom. Recommended.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Outstanding food at a gem of a restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2010

It was a cold, snowy night in the city but that didn't stop us from going to Kanella, recently reviewed as excellent by Philadelphia Magazine. We got there early so went across the street to the Varga Bar, which has quite an impressive selection of beers and a cool vibe as well.
Even though we had to wait about 15 minutes for our table, the food was well worth the wait! The dining room is crowded and noisy but to me that is part of the charm. Being a byob is a plus for us as we go out quite a bit in the city and like to choose our own wines. But the food....
We started with the dips which were the best I have ever had. I had monkfish for my main course and it was excellent. My friend had the whole fish which was unbelievable as well. I do think the prices were a little high, entrees being in the $30 range, but you only get what you pay for. My husband had the lamb and my friend's husband had pork and they were both to die for. We finished with several mouthwatering desserts, the phyllo pastry being the best and of course, Greek coffee.
I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants true Greek food...loved it!

1 Thank phillygal2
Cary, North Carolina
“Outstanding Greek-Cypriot Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2010

My wife and I honeymooned in Greece last summer and wanted to visit this little Philly gem to enjoy the Greek-Cypriot cuisine. We had read about Kanella in Philadelphia Magazine and varous online reviews looked promising.

We visited for lunch on New Year's day. The small dining room is bright and cheerful and evocative of Greece and Cyprus. The space was full, but did not feel too crowded. Lively conversation at many tables made for a fun and relaxed atmosphere. Table service is a team effort and you'll get a few different waiters throughout your meal, including the chef/owner (who is charming and dedicated).

We enjoyed the Kanella platter (a great sampler with spicy tomato salad, white bean salad, tzatziki, dolma, eggplant, falafel and pita) and the daily meat special -- braised lamb shank with potato confit. The lamb was wonderfully tender and flavorful. The sampler was also very tasty. We didn't have room in our stomachs for desert, but those delivered to tables around us looked (amd smelled!) great.

If you like great food in a casual setting, we highly recommend Kanella.

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Excellent Cypriot Food in Casual BYOB Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2009

Kanella's food is outstanding. Having eaten there twice with three other people, we have tried many dishes and they were all interesting and delicious. I've been to Cyprus and, while I can see the authenticity of Kanella, I only wish I had found such good food during my travels. Kanella's atmosphere is not fancy (although we were offered a variety of nice stem ware for the selection of champagne and wines we brought). The service is deliberately slow as they expect you to enjoy a multi-course, slow-paced dinner. The surfaces are a bit hard so the restaurant can be noisy during weekend peak periods. The BYOB setup makes Kanella reasonable.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook