“great food and ambience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kanella - CLOSED

Kanella
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: 10th Street
Description: Kanella is a Greek restaurant located in the Washington Square neighborhood of Philadelphia.
Denver
“great food and ambience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This small but charming restaurant was perfect from start to finish. We were greeted warmly for our reservation and our server was engaging and helpful. houmous and grilled pita were exceptional. The Cypriot and Chicken Kebab were our two entree choices along with Greek salads. Exactly what we had expected and certainly above average dishes. Pleasant experience in a busy, upbeat and fun restaurant.

Visited July 2014

San Francisco, California
“Best Greek restaurant ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

I LOVE this restaurant and I have been to lots of good ones. It's located in the Gayborhood which is filled with the best restaurants in Philly. We went there at 5 when they open since we didn;t have a reservation. They were very nice and put in a window seat. Service was friendly and causal. Food is modern, not heavy with fresh ingredients. By 5:30 the place was filled with large dinner parties and families with children. Please make reservation of you will be sad for not able to eat there. Dessert was a warm custard filled with orange zest. Amazing!

• Visited June 2014
Nicosia, Cyprus
“Even better than the real thing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

WIth Cypriot food made this good there is no reason to visit Cyprus unless of course sun and sand are your thing. The exceptional dips and creative take on traditional Cypriot and Greek dishes are amazing. The lamb meat balls were fantastic. We visit Kanella every time we're in Philly and will certainly visit again in the future.

• Visited May 2014
Philadelphia, PA
“Tasty, slightly overpriced mediterranean food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying that my friends and I for various reasons had a heck of a time finally getting ti come here so maybe I was expecting more of a wow factor. That coupled with the fact that I am of a Mediterranean and middle eastern background, I guess I expected more.
All of the dishes we ordered were fresh, I could tell, but some of the portions were small and in order to eat certain meals, one needs more bread than they serve so I kept asking for more. There were certain items I recall (forgive me this is a few months late) thinking were lacking side dishes that shouldve been served with them. I'm not sure I would return here again. The food was fresh and tasty but portions not so Much and some main courses lacked the side dishes that would've complimented them perfectly.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Safita
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sunday night menu is a hidden gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

You can't beat Kanella's Sunday night chef's menu. My wife an I enjoyed an incredible meal at this charming BYO in center city. We shared the vegetarian and meat/fish menu and had so many favorite dishes we lost track. The amount of food was just right as we still had room for dessert. Vegetarian menu is an incredibly reasonable $30 while the meat/fish menu is still a great deal at $35. Desserts were extra at $5 each, but good size and well worth the extra cost.

• Visited May 2014