“"OPA"”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: 10th Street
Description: Kanella is a Greek restaurant located in the Washington Square neighborhood of Philadelphia.
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Finally had a chance to try Kanella . Went with my wife and 2 other couples. Having traveled the Greek islands I thought I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. I must say that the menu and quality of food far exceeded my expectations. This place takes Greek cuisine to a gourmet level. Since we were a party of six we were able to sample an array of hummus/ tazhiki /super fresh salads/ veal meatballs / lamb apps. The entree menu was well balanced w/ just enough choices for all tastes.One member of our party was a "meat and potatoes" guy who ordred the pork dish which he described as the "best pork he ever tasted. The fresh branzino was perfectly cooked and seasoned. The staff and our waiter (john) were courteous, informative and efficient. Being a BYOB we were able to enjoy excellent and not experience " sticker shock" when the check arrived.Its no wonder why its hard to get a reservation.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Kanella is a cozy Greek/Cypriot BYOB with excellent food, service and atmosphere. The menu gives you a chance to order things not seen elsewhere (at least not in Philadelphia), so take advantage of the opportunity. Starters we got and highly recommend are lamb dumplings and bureki, which is tasty phyllo dough packed with Greek goodies and served with honey. For main courses we tried goat stew (mild and delicious), and an unusual tortelloni preparation that came with a sauce so good we asked for extra bread to sop it up with. The desserts were equally enticing, although due to the bread we scarfed up earlier, we decided to be good and shared just one dessert. A bonus was our server, John, who entertained us with his enthusiasm for Kanella, as well as guided us to the right choices.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

My fiancee and I went here for dinner and absolutely loved it! It is small so reservations are a must and while we had reservations we had to wait a bit for our table to clear. Everything we ordered - from the appetizers to the desert - was wonderfully prepared and hit the spot. The menu appears to have some seasonality so I am looking forward to trying again later in the year.
Note that Kanella is a BYOB so come prepared, and also note that it is a small main dining room and you will be a bit cozy with other tables. The food is worth any trouble those items may cause you.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

One of these days, when I dine at Kanela, I'm going to order something else. Yet once again last weekend I ordered the same thing: Shakshouka - two perfectly poached eggs floating in a steaming fragrant cumin-flavored tomato soup, topped w/ two crunchy pieces of toast.

Consistently the menu, featuring lamb, is varied & each day there are provocative specials for the adventureous eater, such as calf head stew offered last Saturday.

Like many good restaurants in Philadelphia, Kanela is BYOB, so there is no bar, but the price is right & a nice bottle of red wine is a good bet to compliment just about any meal.

Altho the sparsely decorated restaurant is noisy when crowded, as it often is, the mood is festive; the service cordial & efficient & a reservation is a good idea.

8  Thank Herstory_62
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We'd been here once before a couple of years ago, but I didn't recognize the name when I was looking for somewhere on Yelp today.

As we got close to the restaurant, that part of my brain that is dedicated to remembering great food experiences kicked in, and I almost ran the rest of the way.

The restaurant is pretty small, and was packed. It seems to attract a very eclectic set of patrons, but the majority seemed to be 20-something hipsters. The service was excellent.. very, very friendly and even though the place was busy, it took no time at all to turn a table for us.

I remembered what I had the last time here so well (Pan fried homemade lamb merguez sausage with organic duck egg, pita and spicy yogurt, washed down with a hot soumada (very tasty almond milk), that I ordered exactly the same again. My wife switched things up a bit, going for the lamb kofta, which is grilled spiced ground lamb with pistachios served with white been stew and yogurt. She had a lemonnana, which I guess is the Greek equivalent to an Arnold Palmer // half & half, as it is a combination of lemonade and mint tea.

The food was excellent, and what was even better, the check was less than $32 for the two of us.

Highly recommended!