“Wouldn't eat anywhere else”

Hershel's East Side Deli
Ranked #44 of 4,390 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Wouldn't eat anywhere else”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I go to Reading Market once monthly for fresh fish and meat. However, the primary reason for our trip is an excuse to eat at Hershel's Deli. We always ask which between the corn beef and pastrami is leaner and order accordingly. It is amazing how lean the meat is after being hand trimmed of all fat by the server. The meat is hand cut and piled high on the fresh rye bread slathered with mustard or Russian dressing, coleslaw, or sauerkraut, if desired--and a kosher pickle on the side--for $9-$10. The matzo ball soup is the best we have ever eaten. The large size is more than plenty for two people, with 2 huge matzo balls, carrots, chicken, and celery in broth. The two of us often share 1/2 sandwich and the matzo ball soup. If eating solo, this is also an option on their menu. Remember to order their specialties for dessert and buy a loaf or 1/2 loaf of bread (sliced) to take home. One suggestion is to try to get there early so you can order before noon. This is a very popular restaurant and the lines get long from 12-2 (when they sometimes run out of meat.) Also, more tables have been added toward the back of the market, so don't despair if all nearby tables are occupied.

1 Thank mimibreeze

Redding, Connecticut
“Amazing pastrami omelet!”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I was in Philly only briefly, but stopped at Reading Terminal market for a couple of meals (what an awesome place that is, by the way). My favorite was the breakfast I had at Hershel's East Side Deli; probably the best breakfast I've had in my recent memory. We got there early and sat at the counter; a man who I believe was the owner took our orders and started making our stuff right in front of us. I got the omelet with pastrami, cheese, peppers, and onions, and it was amazing. Huge, juicy chunks of pastrami - I've never had anything like it before or since. The owner also gave us some free potato pancakes because there was a slight delay (he was the only one there that early); these too were delicious. Though I take it that Hershel's is more of a lunch kind of place (being a deli and all), don't hesitate to come here for breakfast - you'll be glad you did.

• Visited April 2012
Westport, Connecticut
“The BEST Pastrami and Turkey in the WORLD !!!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

It has been 31 days since my last visit to HERSHEL'S East Side Deli in downtown Philadelphia inside the Redding Terminal Market. I have eaten there over 40 times and ALWAYS had the BEST sandwiches ever. This time coming from North Carolina I diverted "126 miles" from my route to satisfy this craving for Fresh cut rye bread smeared with russian dressing, Tender Pastrami seasoned to perfection sliced by hand with the speed of a machine, a slice of sharp swiss, a dash of sauer kruat then put in a panini machine to blend everything together. The pastrami is piled so high I had to ask the carver to remove an inch ! I always like my pastrami lean and they always oblige.
My son had moist turkey with one slice of provalone melted to perfection and he said it was the best he ever had. Each plate is given a delicious sour pickle. Steve the FRIENDLY owner keeps a watchful eye over this amazing operation that aims to please everyone. Last year I missed President Obahma by one day, thats right HE ATE at HERSHEL'S ! I will put Hershel's against every NY Deli I have tried and Hershel's is the only place I will have pastrami as it is so worth waiting for. I eat at the Palm and Peter Lugers, If given the choice of their steaks or Pastrami at Hershal's I WOULD PICK HERSHAL'S ! Steve please open up a HERSHAL'S in Conecticut and NY.
See You Soon !
Regards
Bob

1 Thank robert c
Burlington, New Jersey
“Does corned beef melt in your mouth? IT DOES HERE!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I don't know how Hershel's does it but they make the most tender, juicy, flavorful corned beef that I've ever tasted. Simply amazing! I would recommend Hershel's Reuben just as it comes - beef, kraut, dressing, swiss cheese on rye grilled on rye. I also like to get the open face Reuben without the rye. I can also recommend the Matzo Ball soup - very tasty here.

The atmosphere is set in the Reading Terminal Market...a unique experience of crowds of people and rows ans=d rows of vendors. If you've never been to Reading Terminal, you must put this on your list.

Pikesville, Maryland
“Steven rocks and the Tuna on Rye is the bomb!!!!!”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We eat here every time we come to Philly. The sandwiches are so good and today we actually had the owner, Steven, take care of us. We always get service with a smile, a joke or two, and are treated like family. Please stop and have a little knosh or knish. You'll love it.