“Take some pastrami home”

Hershel's East Side Deli
Ranked #10 of 4,610 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I've eaten here before and love the pastrami and brisket. This time we ordered a pound to go. Next time I'll make it three pounds so we can enjoy their pastrami a few more times!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

If you ever have a chance to walk around Philadelphia, do not miss Reading Market if you like to eat, shop or just people watch.
Aside from the shopping for food and a few other things, the casual restaurants are fantastic. While there are many which may fit any taste, perhaps the best example is Hershel's East Side Deli. As you stand there waiting to order you can watch people, see how they make their sandwiches or scan the menu trying to decide before they are ready to serve you.
Once you get your food, you must look for a place to sit. While a few places have stools to sit at a counter, Hershel's does not; as most places.
Once you have finished your sandwich & if you have room for desert, then get up & look for another place; there are many choices.
One piece of advice, get there late morning to avoid the crowd. Do not worry about who you may sit next to, I sat next between a laborer and a lawyer my first visit. Always room for conversation.

1  Thank DrBob41
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Hershel's gives visitors delicious choices, but I recommend the Pastrami Rueben. The meat is perfectly seasoned, moist and succulent. The bread is soft and fresh. The meat is piled high and falls out of the sandwich, so make sure you eat sitting down, so that you can mop up all the little scraps and stuff them into your mouth while you dream of the next time you will be able to visit this place!

1  Thank Courtney M
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We went there not to long ago and I had one of the best omelets. The corned beef is
unbelievably melt-in-your-mouth tender, I selected the swiss cheese, but the choice is yours
and the rye bread was one of the best breads I had. In fact, we took a loaf of the bread
home.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We only recently discovered Hershel's, although Reading Terminal merits frequent visits. Usually I go there to grocery shop - produce, meats and fish are very good value.

But about Hershel's - I had corned beef on rye, my Jewish dining companion had the three meat platter, we split an order of potato salad & there was coleslaw (included with the meats, I think). I asked the counterman for some wrap for our leftovers. He said I could take it now, or bring back the leftovers for them to wrap. We opted to wrap our own.

Wow - was this ever good, good food. i learned to eat deli in NYC, and the corned beef was moist tender and carefully trimmed. I actually would have preferred a bit more fat on mine. The meats on the platter were all lean fresh, moist and flavorful - he had brisket, corned beef and pastrami. Standard Jewish rye - unseeded. Adequate salads, good pickles.

I pick 1/2 the meat off my sandwich, otherwise i can't fit it into my mouth. Friend had a plastic fork to cope with his meats, but in spite of being hungry, he couldn't finish what was on his plate. We bought a loaf of rye bread to take home and had 3 more sandwiches next day from our leftovers.

I think the bill, with 2 sodas, was just under $30. Considering the size of the portions, this was very good value.

The ambiance at Reading terminal is ultra-urban - noisy, crowded, dense, diverse. Don't expect your personal space to be respected here; there just isn't room. You can eat at Hershel's own counter, or in the large communal space on the other side of Hershel's. Both are rather tight space.

1  Thank MizLoo