“Wait for a seat at the counter!”

Hershel's East Side Deli
Ranked #43 of 4,359 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Maryland
“Wait for a seat at the counter!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is one of the best places to get pastrami, corned beef, and fresh roasted turkey sandwiches outside New York.

You'll have to deal with the cramped spaces and long lines of Reading Terminal Market, but the line at Hershel's isn't as long as at the Italian deli right next door.

My friends and I got on a take-out line, which we estimated would take 15 minutes. But we realized that it would be quicker to just wait behind some of the few diners that could fit at the counter on stools.

We got seats in about 5 to 10 minutes and ordered a variety of sandwiches. They came out almost instantaneously. All three of the sandwiches--turkey, corned beef, and pastrami--were succulent and delicious, but the pastrami reigned supreme. It just melted on the tongue.

If you don't mind crowds and cramped spaces, Hershel's is great for a Jewish deli sandwich.

Visited September 2012

“Their Reuben sandwich is the best in town!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Personally, I don't like Jewish food but since I am a big fan of Reuben sandwiches I decided to give this place a try. What can I say? They make everything right in front of you, so you know what goes into the meal and also you can see the quality of the meats. Talking about the meats, they put so much meat on the sandwiches it just ridiculous. One sandwich would be enough to feed two people.

• Visited September 2012
Herndon, Virginia
“Excellent Corned Beef”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The hotel we were staying at in Philly was about a block from the Reading Terminal Market. I met my husband there when his conference day ended to pick something up to have for dinner in our room. After walking around, browsing, we decided to split a corned beef sandwich from Hershel’s. The corned beef special comes piled high with freshly prepared corned beef, coleslaw and Thousand Island dressing on freshly baked rye bread. Since we wouldn’t be eating the sandwich for a few hours, I asked if they would put the coleslaw and dressing on the side. The guy waiting on me asked if I wanted the corned beef and bread wrapped separately, which I though was very nice of him. When we put the sandwich together, it was as if it had just been made at the deli and it was delicious.

• Visited September 2012
Tampa, Florida
“Hershel's Delight”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My favorite deli in Philly. I reconfirmed this yesterday by having a Reuben with corned beef and brisket. There's no better taste than the meat at Hershel's. I can't come to Philly without eating here. This is a must eat here before you die place!

Visited September 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
1,448 restaurant reviews
“Killer Sandwiches... The BEST corned beef and pastrami”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

If you're headed to Reading market for one of the DiNics pork sandwiches... and the line is ridiculously long, don't fret. Go right next door to Hershel's for a corned beef or pastrami sandwich. I had an amazing corned beef sandwich, perhaps the best I've ever had. Just watch them slicing it and making the sandwiches and you'll see what I mean. Amazing... guaranteed!

Visited August 2012