“Excellent Corned Beef”

Hershel's East Side Deli
Ranked #42 of 4,351 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Herndon, Virginia
“Excellent Corned Beef”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The hotel we were staying at in Philly was about a block from the Reading Terminal Market. I met my husband there when his conference day ended to pick something up to have for dinner in our room. After walking around, browsing, we decided to split a corned beef sandwich from Hershel’s. The corned beef special comes piled high with freshly prepared corned beef, coleslaw and Thousand Island dressing on freshly baked rye bread. Since we wouldn’t be eating the sandwich for a few hours, I asked if they would put the coleslaw and dressing on the side. The guy waiting on me asked if I wanted the corned beef and bread wrapped separately, which I though was very nice of him. When we put the sandwich together, it was as if it had just been made at the deli and it was delicious.

• Visited September 2012

Tampa, Florida
“Hershel's Delight”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My favorite deli in Philly. I reconfirmed this yesterday by having a Reuben with corned beef and brisket. There's no better taste than the meat at Hershel's. I can't come to Philly without eating here. This is a must eat here before you die place!

Visited September 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
1,439 restaurant reviews
“Killer Sandwiches... The BEST corned beef and pastrami”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

If you're headed to Reading market for one of the DiNics pork sandwiches... and the line is ridiculously long, don't fret. Go right next door to Hershel's for a corned beef or pastrami sandwich. I had an amazing corned beef sandwich, perhaps the best I've ever had. Just watch them slicing it and making the sandwiches and you'll see what I mean. Amazing... guaranteed!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank WINEandTRAVEL
Covington, KY
“Great (big) sandwiches”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Reading Terminal Market was suggested as a good place for lunch by our Big Bus tour guide. We wandered around the market, having a hard time deciding what to get. We chose Hershel's East Side Deli. We both got Hershel's Special sandwiches (basically reubens without the cheese). Like all good delis, they pile the meat high. The bread (marble rye) was fresh and flavorful. We got sides of cole slaw and potato salad. (I wanted to try the latkes but they apparently make them fresh and I didn't want to wait the 8 minutes or so it would take to make them.) Everything was delicious. We were only in Philly for one day but already we're ready to go back to try other offerings at Hershel's.

• Visited August 2012
Lansdale
“Big Reuben Sandwich”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Hershel is a Jewish deli in the Reading Terminal Market which is across from the Philadelphia Convention Center. We ordered a brisket Reuben on marble rye and a pastrami on seeded rye for lunch. OMG, they piled tons of meat on the bread. The sandwiches are BIG! They are very tasty. If you are a big meat eater, you are in heaven! It was more crowded that usual because there's an international conference being held in town. A lot of the conference attendees were in the market. The lines at various food stands were quite long. But the people behind the counter at Hershel were fairly efficient. We did not have to wait too long. Once again, because of the crowd, it was kind of difficult to find seats.

• Visited August 2012