“highly informative and entertaining”

Taste of Philly Food Tour
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed August 13, 2009

offers insider insight and stories behind such philadelphia food favs as scrapple, turtle soup and of course the quinnessential Philly cheesesteak. The Reading Market can be intimidating to the uninitiated; this jump-started my visit there. Not the usual standard schlock tour - this one is by a bona-fide food historian and expert.

Reviewed August 5, 2009

I was disappointed in this food tour of Reading Market. The focus of the tour was primarily on the history of the market and the history of different vendors in the market. I thought we would get many more food samples, but we sampled only a few things. We would have been better off to use the money we spent on the tour to buy some of the local items we would like to have tried, i.e. Philly cheesesteaks, and some of the local Amish specialties. If you really want a historical tour rather than tasting, however, you might enjoy this tour. The guide is very knowledgeable; the experience just wasn't what I expected.

Reviewed July 8, 2008

I must say I took this tour because I had some time to kill and it was the closest thing to do. The tour was really informative and most of the food samples were good except the batch of Peanut butter ice cream I got. From the second I tried the ice cream, there was not one Peanut Cup Piece to be found. I scooped through the entire large cup and there was nothing!?

Obviously, there is war in the Middle East, poverty and a billion more important things in the world than this ice cream. However, I just want to express how disappointed I was with the ice cream and its claim to have Peanut Butter Cup Pieces in it.

While the peanut butter flavor of the ice cream was good, the lack of chocolate cup pieces was a major disappointment. This basically ruined my entire trip. I only wish I had a camera with me to document this.