“First trip to Philly - this was a great way to start!”

Taste of Philly Food Tour
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Toronto
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First trip to Philly - this was a great way to start!”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My friend booked the Philly Food Tour last weekend. I had never been to Philly before and this was an entertaining, educational and delicious way to start off our Saturday. We had breakfast in the market before the tour - which I recommend, otherwise you'll be starving. Carolyn is very knolwedgeable and makes the tour very entertaining, complete with samples of ice-cream, soft pretzels and turtle soup.

I loved it!!!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Julie N

Philadelphia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“fascinating idiosyncratic look at philly's signature foods”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Tremendously enjoyed this non cookie-cutter primer to foods I had been long curious about - scrapple, hoagies, soft pretzels....The tour guide gave just enough info to whet my appetite and provided a good framework for exploring the market on my own afterward. Well worth the money. Lots of interaction and a good mix of kitsch and history. Tour guide was very interesting and welcomed my several questions.

1 Thank Mary V
Rockville, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Interesting Facts, guide needs more personality”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Went to the Reading Terminal Market for the first time and decided to take the market tour. The tour was very interesting, there was alot of fun information. The tour guide however seemed like she really didn't want to be there and it felt like she was just reciting the words to a script. She needed to give it a little more personality. There were a few tastes, we all shared a cup of ice cream and shared a small cup of soup and all shared a soft pretzel. It was a bit off putting to share food with strangers!!
I did enjoy the tour and was glad we did it, but it could be better.
It's important to note that there a several parking garages(one of which is where we parked) that advertise throughout the market $4 parking if you spend $10 in the market and get your ticket validated, which we did. On exiting the garage, after 31/2 hours, we were told the $4 rate was only for 3 hours so we had to pay $28!!! What a colossal rip off and misrepresentation of the true price of parking.

1 Thank sellacar
Texas
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Loved this and was lots of fun”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Didn't want to do a huge walking tour or an expensive one. This fit the bill. It's only set in the Reading Terminal Market but "only" does not mean you do not see alot and experience alot. Learned the history of the place which was not presented in any of our other tours regarding Philly. Saw the entrance into the new Convention Center and that was neat to see learn of history regarding it's construction. Then the market. Huge and without some info one may get not only lost but no clue as to what may be a bit more special if you're not capable of visiting this place anytime soon. Got small samples but enough to enjoy. It was just me and my husband and another very nice couple from New Jersey. The best cheesesteak we got in Philly was here. LOVED the amish made soft pretzels and the ice cream place we visited on the tour was so so so good. We went back to get more later. The only thing I was disappointed about but only for a few minutes was our guide was not the author. I'm awful at names but I think our guide was Gale and she was friendly and fun and informative and not afraid to check her notes to get information correct. I wanted to eat the rest of our snapper soup but I knew we were going to eat our lunch there later and so passed the opportunity. Wish the tour included just a few more tastes like of the Middle Eastern or more different food venders. I believe she said the tour would be about 75 minutes but it last longer than that in fact hubby said he was getting irrated since the market was filling up by then and he wanted to get food. lol Not a problem to get more than you bargained for. Just perfect for us. Again tips are not asked for but happily taken.

2 Thank texascouple67
Yorktown, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fabulous Find in Philadelphia”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I was in Philadelphia from 3/10-3/16/12, and while there took the Taste of Philly Food Tour encompassing sites within Reading Terminal Market. It cost $16.00 (cash only) for adult admission. Our guide was "Kim" , a foodie herself who lives in the neighborhood of the Market and who has lived in Philadelphis for about 7 years. The tour began with a brief history of the Reading Terminal from its beginnings as a railway depot. She pointed out its architectural design, etc and we then proceeded to the tour around the Market. We saw the making of, and tasted, Amish rolled pretzels hot from the baking! We also tried snapper (turtle) soup, heritage chocolates, and homemade ice cream. It took about 1 1/2 hr, and was fantastic! I highly recommend this tour. Note: our group consisted of 6 adults + Kim, so I can't comment on how it would have been as a family experience.

Visited March 2012