“Fun, enjoyable and tasty.”

Taste of Philly Food Tour
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Carolyn gives an informative, fun and tasty tour of Reading Terminal Market. Fun facts and history add to the informal presentation while walking to different vendors in the market. After the tour, my appeal for the Market increased as I learned how it came to be, the diversity of the shoppers, stories of the businesses and about the people working there. The tour would be enjoyed by all ages including kids. If you have never been to the Market or if you are a frequent shopper, the tour is bound to offer you new information and 90 minutes of enjoyment.

There are newer reviews for Taste of Philly Food Tour

Reviewed May 3, 2011

My wife and I (two senior citizens), two granddaughters (young teens) and niece (middle aged woman) went on this tour and found it to be delightful. Even though we were quite a mixed group the guide, Carolyn, managed to keep us all informed and interested. We saw, tasted, felt and met many of the people and shops in the Reading Public Market. We would not have known or saw as much as we did, if we did this on our own. Thank you Carolyn for a wonderful morning in Philadelphia.

Reviewed May 3, 2011

Reading Terminal Market is my local market. As I shop there at least 3 times a week, I thought it would be worthwhile to take a tour and learn the history of "My" market. Carolyn did not disappoint- The history of the market is interesting and well worth the tour- learned a lot of tidbits about why things are laid out the way they are in the Market. It was cool to find out about who has shopped at the market. The tour is well researched and entertaining. I highly recommend this tour.

Reviewed October 7, 2010

We just went on this tour and highly recommend it. We live in the South Jersey suburbs and visit the Reading Terminal market once or twice a year. We now have a new appreciation for its history and its offerings. Carol is full of great information and the hour and a half flew by. We especially enjoyed hearing about the President's recent visit for a cheesesteak! We thought the samplings of food (snapper soup at Pearl's, butterscotch vanilla ice cream at Bassett's, etc) were just enough. As we'd read on this website beforehand not to expect to be full, we took the tour, got great suggestions from Carol then spent some time afterwards meandering around the aisles and selecting from the many delicious choices for our lunch. The timing was great as the 10:00 tour was during a less crowded time of day and we were ready to explore on our own before the full rush of lunch hour began. The price was very reasonable. Well worth it given the time and attention to detail Carol provides. Thanks, Carol!

Reviewed July 10, 2010

I booked the Taste of Philly Food Tour because I was going to Reading Terminal Market and wanted an affordable tour around the market. I've never been on a "food tour" so I was hoping that this tour would offer small sample sizes of the best places to eat in the market, but it didn't! When we stopped at different vendors, and the tour guide would mostly talk about facts. Some places would pass around 1 small cup and everyone in the group would get 1 BITE, literally. We had 1 BITE of sticky bun, soup, ice cream, scrapple, and 1 chocolate kiss. The only thing I liked was that our tour guide was friendly & very knowledge about the history of Philadelphia and Reading Terminal Market.

So if you are looking to just walk around the market and LEARN about their food, and not eat food, then this tour is for you. I highly recommend eating a big breakfast before so your stomach won't be growling. Overall, I was not satisfied with the tour. The only thing that left me satisfied was when the tour was over and I was able to eat Dinic's famous roast pork sandwich!

1  Thank JP326