“View and food were great”
Review of The Water Works - CLOSED

The Water Works
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kelly Drive
“View and food were great”
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Had a business lunch and must say the food was wonderful and the service was very attentive. A bit pricey. The view from the outside veranda was lovely. However it was very warm and we had asked for inside seating when we made the reservation. Our guests were fine but we should have been given the option of eating indoors.

Hamilton, NJ
“Excellent food, picturesque view, amazing location”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We liked Water Works a lot for its simple, no-frills, but extremely fresh, and deliciously prepared food. This is just the case when there is no need to embellish the dishes with multiple ingredients for the sake of pure experimenting. Our grilled octopus was done right on the money, very moderately grilled (unlike most other times when our grilled octopus came charred to the black). The Washington Bay oysters were very fleshy and amazingly fresh. Our main courses were prepared totally to our liking, the salmon was done as rare as we asked for, and the organic chicken breast was very good.
The view is another great plus, however, we would recommend either a night-time or an evening visit, for otherwise your much-anticipated view would include both a nice water part and the grimy left part with an unkempt and dirty highway landscape.
The service was friendly.
Recommended, especially after a visit to Philadelphia Arts Museum which is right two minutes' walk from water Works, if that.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank RGSOUNDF
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Sparse service and not much food”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Recently had dinner with over 70 of my closest friends. They knew we were coming months in advance but just did not seem to have the staff to cover a group our size. Poor preperation by management. Although this was a buffet, there were not enough seats, no tables were set with silverware, water goblets, etc. The food consisted of 3 entrees which although not bad, at these prices deserved to be better. No extras and I mean no extras. Had to go to the bar to get a glass of water with my meal. Rolls came out after the food, no salad or anything at all besides the 3 main entrees. No desert and only a small amount of us ever got coffee, The waiter said they hadn't made enough. On top of that when it came there wasn't creme & sugar and of course no spoons. Appetizers were tiny and there were not enough for the number of people in our party. Luckily I was not the payer, or there would have been trouble. The only thing going for this place is the view, and even then half of the view is of the Schuylkill Expressway. Best viewing is at dusk into night. You don't even have to go to the restaurant to go out where the view is. It is accessible to the general public. I had heard this place was great, but I was extremely disappointed. I would never go here again.

• Visited June 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“The nicest meal on this Insight tour”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

As two of 36 people travelling to cities of the east coast with Insight Gold, we were pretty tired of being served sub-standard meals on an expensive tour. It was a relief, therefore, to enjoy a good meal at Waterworks. (Mind you, the meal was nowhere near as good as others we ate with our first tour company, the Sydney-based Academy Travel.)

My first course was crab cake. Quite nice. My partner chose minestrone, which was flavourful, and hot.

Our entrees (mains) were chicken served with semi-fried potatoes and kale. Thank heaven for vegetables other than mashed potato! The chicken was tender and moist. Good!

We both chose the baked cream-cheese cake for dessert. What else would you have in Philly? It was delicious.

• Visited May 2014
Maryland
“Bring your own ranch, they do weddings”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

So we made a reservation online and I generally am not super fond of the internet, but I trusted, and it worked out! we were even late getting on the road so we called and said we were going to be about 20 minutes late, and they were very accommodating. FREE VALET FOR LUNCH. I'm convinced that heaven is full of free valets, and that's probably mostly it.

They were getting ready for a wedding so there was a lot of hustle and bustle going on. We went for my grandma's 87th birthday and I had asked to be seated by the water in the reservation. well let me tell you, with the wind-shields down in their tent, it was soooooo loud. and on top of that, grandma doesn't have the greatest hearing AND our waitress was talking unbelievably quietly. I went up to the front and asked to be loved to a table that I guess is technically considered in the bar, but it was a booth facing the water, behind glass, and there was nobody else in that area. They checked with the manager and then were incredibly accommodating. It was great.

In another review someone said that it was a gross city view, and I guess if you're expecting a beautiful crystal blue river with boats and stuff, you're not going to get that here. I mean, it's the skukcjckckcjcycill river. Nobody even wants to try to spell it or pronounce it, much less look at it, but for what it is, it's a historic sight, and it's a large body of water, and there's a wonderful breeze so for and escape from summer heat, it was amazing.

They brought all of our food to us as we finished eating and didn't rush us with anything, which was such a nice change. oh, THEY HAVE A FANCY WATER MENU. We paid $110 with tip for an appetizer, soup, a salad with shrimp and two sandwiches, no alcohol, one ice tea, and normal tap water, which I felt dirty for having to order and say out loud. I had the roastbeef and horshradish and it was super horseradish-y. Boyfriend had bacon burger which he ate. their fries were unbeliveable. the only thing that broke my heart was that they didn't have ranch dressing for the amazing French fries and when I asked for it, I was sort of laughed at for even asking...which...I don't know who hasn't had ranch on their fries, but if you've never done that, you are a small child, not in my generation, or something. regardless, you haven't lived. they also brought ketchup in a fancy glass dish with a lid and a spoon. my goodness.

Since we were the only ones in the area, someone who was in charge of the waiters waited on us. He was wonderful and personable and really made the experience fantastico. his name was Enzo. THANK YOU ENZO!!!

About 3/4 through our meal, they started doing wedding consultations in the booth next to us. No hard feelings to the restaurant, there was literally nowhere else they could do it. the guy seemed pretty nice but just from listening, if you don't already have a pretty good idea of your budget, wedding guests count, and what you want specifically, you're going to feel like you're getting your butt kicked into gear, because it is.

Since the last reviews, they cleaned the bathrooms, but their elevator is broke so you have to go up and down a long flight of stairs, which isn't bad, unless you're an 87 year old woman. then it's your work out for the week. Cheaper than a gym membership, at least....well...sort of.

Everything being said, they let us overstay our welcome significantly and didn't kick us out, they were very nice, and even though I'm not engaged, I got some great wedding advice. Next time I go, I'll just make sure to smuggle in my own ranch.

• Visited June 2014