“Nice Hotel Not for Cookie Cutters”
Review of The Independent

The Independent
Ranked #36 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed March 6, 2011

I stayed at the Independent last year for a couple of nights for business. Fortunately, it was not the high season, so I could get the government rate for my room when I was on government business. The hotel is definitely not like most hotels where I stay (i.e., it's not a big chain hotel). The room is decorated in a unique, very attractive way, and the service was great. I was steered to restaurants that were close and convenient, as well as some that were a little further and nice. There was also a little wine and cheese in the early evening.

The room was very clean and the bed was huge for just one person, but I wasn't complaining.

The only problem was the computerized phone-and-all-else system contained in the phone. Maybe there was a wiring issue in my room, but I got an occasional beep throughout the night indicating I had asked for room service. It went off and on for a while until I got another phone. Unfortunately, the second did this too, so I unplugged it. The next night it worked fine without the beep.

For me, the location was excellent because I could walk to work in 10 minutes. When it was rainy, they called a cab.

I would definitely return to the Independent if I'm in Philadelphia.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
IndependentHotel, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2011

Thank you for your review - here at The Independent we definitely rely on our guest’s feedback and experience to better serve our guests.

We definitely listened and you'll be happy to know that we replaced all of our guest room telephones with brand new cordless phones - so no more high tech options to steer around and certainly no unwanted noises! Here at The Independent Hotel we offer all guests FREE local & long distance calling within the U.S. and Canada, no doubt an added value amenity that isn't offered anywhere else in Philadelphia!

Again, we appreciate the generous compliments about our rooms, service and style - we hope to see you again for any future needs while visiting Philadelphia.

There are newer reviews for The Independent

Reviewed February 26, 2011

The Independent is a wonderful hotel to stay at. I stayed here in October for one night as I had a grad school interview in the city. The receptionist at the front desk was very helpful and always willing to answer any questions we had about the area. We had actually flown in from the west coast on a red eye the night before, and so were pretty tired by that afternoon; however, the staff were very accommodating in trying to the get the room ready to check in a little early. The room and bathroom were spotless, beds very comfortable and decor very aesthetically appealing. The only downside was that there was noise coming from a bar below our room, as it was a Friday night and I was trying to get rest before my interview the next day.
Admittedly, I don't stay in hotels very often but would definitely go back to The Independent and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
IndependentHotel, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I'm sorry to hear that the bar noise effected your stay with us but glad there were more positives about your visit with us at The Independent. While we continue to work with the bar below the hotel to minimize their noise levels with music we appreciate your understanding. I hope you found that we addressed your concerns during your stay and appreciate your comments that focused on the positive aspects of your visit. Thank you again for your time and communication - we hope to be of service in the future if/when you make back out to the East Coast.

Reviewed February 16, 2011

I am from Philadelphia and have lived here all my life. My boyfriend and I got a room for Valentine's Day and we were just in awe. We only stayed for a night but I promise you it did not feel like we where in our own city! If you're anything like me, a stickler for clean hotels, you will love it here! I am extremely picky about staying in hotels but I loved The Independent! The only problem is that there is a night club located just outside the hotel and it can get a little noisy (so you might want a room that is located on a higher level)

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for such a great review of your recent stay with us at The Independent. We truly appreciate the honest sentiments you shared about enjoying a night out right inside your own city. I hope you and your boyfriend enjoyed the night and glad we could be a part of your Special Valentine's Day celebration. Hopefully you found the special heart shape of chocolates on your bed enjoyable too. We look forward to being of service in the future and thank you again for choosing The Independent!

Reviewed February 12, 2011

The Independent Hotel is a quiet home away from home but better! I took my husband on an overnight stay for his birthday just to escape from home and the staff and cleanliness of this hotel by far exceeded my expectations. Beautiful rooms to say the least, spacious and comfortable and not your average decor either I had to remind myself that I booked it for such a low price, I mean CLASSY! Hardwood floors? Yes! Thank you for such an ellegant night and the restuarant you suggested was amazing as well!

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed February 10, 2011

What a gem! This hotel is the best kept secret in Philadelphia. The service was great, hotel was clean and attention to detail superb. My wife and I don't get the chance to get away much so when we do we want to relax and enjoy. Did just that!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2011

My stay was a wonderful experience... The staff was exceptional the rooms are charming with nice decor and comfortable furnishings. The location was perfect allowing for a quick 15 minute walk in the morning to the convention center straight down 12th street. The complimentary Breakfast in and access to the 12th street Gym made this a perfect Philly business experience for me...

Thanks to the entire Staff for a great stay :-)

Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your such wonderful feedback about your stay at The Independent. We really appreciate when our guests acknowledge our staffs service since it's paramount to our success as a Boutique Hotel. We realize that you could choose any hotel for your stay in Philadelphia but find it most rewarding when we've created the experience that you look for as a business traveler. We look forward to seeing you back again at The Independent Hotel on your next trip to Philadelphia!

Reviewed February 2, 2011

We were pleasanly surprised by the unique feel and warm hospitality of the Independent. The staff was superb and the quality and cleanliness of the property was outstanding. A nice touch was the hand delivered complimentary continental breakfast that you could choose the night before. We thouroughly enjoyed our time at the Independent!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business