“My Favorite Boutique Hotel - I travel monthly for business and l love to stay in boutiques”
Review of The Independent

The Independent
Ranked #36 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 1, 2011

The charm of this boutique hotel is un-comparable. The staff is sincere, detailed and accommodated any request and offer several suggestions of the Philadelphia area. This is my 3rd time staying at the Independent and I have recommended to several friends. Every room is a bit different with consistent charm of a fantastic boutique hotel. There is affordable parking literally across the street. (not easy to find in the city) But you don't need a car, the hotel is within walking distance of amazing restaurants, great boutiques/shopping and the convention center is the perfect distance for a great walk thru the city. Every time I stay, I uncover another fantastic "find" around the corner that becomes a must do when I visit Philly!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed February 1, 2011

What a hidden gem in the heart of it all. The rooms are amazing and my clients raved about this hotel. I'm in the hospitality industry and travel significantly for work. I would recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
IndependentHotel, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, February 3, 2011
Thank you for choosing the The Independent on your recent visit. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Philadelphia.

We strive to exceed our guest expectations by providing the right room, the right technology and the right service to make every stay relaxing, enjoyable and filled with positive experiences.

Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to being of service during your next visit at The Independent!
Reviewed February 1, 2011

It was the perfect getaway for a weekend in the city. Great service and my room was posh yet comfortable!

• Stayed January 2011
Naples, Florida
Reviewed January 27, 2011

This boutique hotel needs to raise it's standards. We only stayed 2 nights. The first night was ok, the hotel is in a great area, the employees are polite, and the bed is comfortable. However, the second night we were unable to sleep because of the non-stop party across the hall that was held from 10:30 pm - 8:30 am the next morning. Upon two calls to the desk nothing was done about the situation. I was asked if I wanted to move rooms, but I didn’t feel I should have pack at 2:30 am? The party should have been refunded their money and asked to leave or moved to a lesser occupied area of the hotel. I was told the next morning that the people who checked-in across the hall had friends over? That was my apology and explanation for losing a night’s sleep. Other minor things, the room is awkward (small shower, faucet drain problem), the wine & cheese reception is not really accommodating (there is no place to sit with your drink and plate if there if there is more than 2 people), the breakfast is basically a checklist of items you could pick up at 7’11 and dropped in a basket outside your door, don’t bother....

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank asuroiu
Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit to Philadelphia. We appreciate your business and value your time in posting this review.

After reading your recent post I was concerned to hear about your experience with our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I was disappointed to hear about the problems from your second night. I can assure you that we strive for a level of service and style that best fits our guests. Our proven track record which is reflected in our online guest reviews reinforces our high standards. I do apologize that the resolution we offered to you wasn't satisfactory as we didn't receive any other guest complaints that evening. I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern. We do take our guests complaints/concerns with urgency to correct and will always find the best resolution for all parties involved.
DC
Reviewed January 9, 2011

I stayed at this hotel because I needed a place that was close to my interview. It was definitely a boutique hotel. The room felt like I was staying in someone's nice guest room. Definitely spacious and nicely decorated. Thought the bathroom was pretty big and even had a scale (for better or worse!). The entry is somewhat offputting because the hotel is actually on the second floor so you walk in and immediately have to get in an elevator. Because the first floor space borders a bar? the entry kinda smells like beer which is not cute. Once you get in the hotel everything was pleasant and clean. My only major gripe was that I signed up for a rate that "included breakfast". You are given the option between cereal or oatmeal, banana or orange, orange juice or apple juice, then some kind of cereal bar. The problem I had is that i had ordered that breakfast to arrive at 7am and they were 30 minutes late which unfortunately meant I was unable to get a bite in before my interview.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 28, 2010

What a great place to stay - terrific location, reasonable rates - but please believe the others who reviewed this and mentioned the nightclub below! Maybe it's different during the week - we were there on a weekend - but the thumping, music, screaming, etc. went on until the club closed. If you can sleep through anything or will be at the nightclub until closing, this is the hotel for you. If not, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fancyn1
IndependentHotel, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
Great New - The Club is now closed under The Independent! Coming soon will be a beautiful high end restaurant, construction to start this August.

We're very sorry that you had to incur such an unpleasant experience while staying at The Independent. Our management worked very hard with the club below the hotel to minimize any issues, while out of our control. We do hope that you'll try us again and experience us the right way.
North Yorkshire
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Stayed 2 nights earlier this month. Entrance to a hotel is a small lobby with a lift to the hotel recpetion. Reception very informal but pleasant. Room was average size - the biggest bathroom we had on our trip to 4 US cities with a great shower although no bath to have a soak in! Corridors a bit bashed where luggage has scuffed the walls and could have benefitted from a lick of paint, the windows in the room needed a good dust and clean. Air conditioning and fridge in room very noisy; we switched both off at night. Had room at the front of the hotel; couldnt hear the nightclub although my husband was awoken by a marching band going past playing loud! Breakfast basket was delivered to room - basic and oatmeal was to cook in the microwave yourself. Choice of croissant or bagel would have been nice. As a tea drinker it didnt quite taste the same warming the water in the microwave or putting it through the coffee machine without a coffee bag. Our breakfast was late both mornings, the second morning us having to go and ask for it so we could eat before leaving. Ipod dock in room was good, large TV with good choice of channels. No inroom safe. Central location; wouldnt like to walk back late at night as a single woman but was fine as a couple.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple