Tripadvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
1,145 results
All reviews breakfast delivered queen loft breakfast basket yogurt exposed brick street noise within walking distance small hotel each morning center city across the street large room independence hall restaurants and bars few blocks public transportation coffee maker
Selected filters
Reviewed January 17, 2020

I stayed in The Independet Hotel for one night in November and Philadelphia was pretty cold in the upper 30s. The hotel entrance was in construction and you need to take an elevator to check in. The hotel is well located and the decoration inside is very cozy. I checked-in in the evening without any issues and the attendant was quite helpful and nice. Room was quite comfortable and well decorated as well, optimizing the room space. I took a shower and walked around Philly to eat dinner. When I came back around 10PM, the room was freezing despite heat temperature was set correctly. I called reception and the attendant told me to turn on and off the heater and wait. It worked but it took a couple of hours to heat up the room and it was hard to sleep. In the morning, I called to order breakfast and after an hour and half they didn't bring it, I called again and I was told there was no breakfast that day (what was suposed to be included) so I went to the local Starbucks. I tried to get the reception people by phone and in person to made a complaint but they literally disappeared. I sent a couple of emails never responded. It was a strange experience for the purpose of the hotel and didn't match the TA good reviews. I am sure it wasn't the norm. Suggest keep an eye on the potential issues.

Room tip: Check the heater is heating the room when ON. Secure breakfast.
Date of stay: November 2019
1  Thank ANDRETS1966
584GeorgeB, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

thank you for your comments will share with staff. appoloiges for the breakfast and the heat issue

Reviewed January 13, 2020

Friendly staff, large rooms, breakfast delivered to your room. What more can you ask for. I was so surprised that the room was so large and well done. I travel a lot so it takes a lot to surprise me and this one did. Large room, super friendly service!. You have to park a couple of blocks behind the hotel. I wish I knew that coming in because it would have been easier to park and then check in. It is a one way street so it takes a few minutes to get back to parking....but all good!

Date of stay: January 2020
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
584GeorgeB, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2020

Thank you for your kind words will share with staff, see you soon

Reviewed January 6, 2020

It was almost perfect for the value. This is my second time staying there. The first time was in a queen size room with my two kids and this time it was in a double queen room with two friends. Both rooms were great but this one was really spacious and comfortable. It’s well decorated and extremely well located and you can’t beat the price. The only negative I experienced is the loud noise coming from the street. I did not notice it on my first day but it was quite loud on a Fri night.. Maybe it depends on the room or whether or not it’s a weekend.In any case I would still stay there again

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
584GeorgeB, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2020

Thank you for your kind words and yes can be a little loud on weekends we have food service on either side of us and a night club 1/2 block away so when you come again ask for a non-street room.

Reviewed January 2, 2020

The staff here are friendly and professional. We were welcomed by India, who couldn’t have been kinder. Our room was big and beautiful, so was the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and the towels were nice. The continental breakfast was brought to our room

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
584GeorgeB, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2020

thank you for your kind words will share with staff members

Reviewed December 31, 2019 via mobile

While we had a few complaints, overall we felt that the friendliness of the staff, the incredible location in Philly, and the fact we booked it for way less than an AirBnB would have been made this hotel pick worth it.

Our room was beautiful. You can tell it’s old in the details, but it was very spacious.

The few complaints:
Breakfast: We enjoyed all of the breakfast options, but were never given what we actually asked for. I assume they ran out?

Housekeeping: We came back to our room on our first full day around 1:00 pm, and housekeeping still hadn’t been there. We assumed they weren’t coming, but when we came back later that night we had a hand written note left that they couldn’t do any housekeeping because of our personal items. There were a few things on the bed, but there was no reason for us to not get any fresh towels or additional bathroom items.

Side note: check out Bud and Marilyns on the same block! Great bar/food options.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
584GeorgeB, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2020

Thank you for your comments will share with housekeeping and breakfast attendant as a source for training