“Amazing Stay...”
Review of The Independent

The Independent
Ranked #38 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed December 20, 2009

Stayed on a monday night, and had the 4th floor. I couldn't have enjoyed my stay any better. I checked in to a friendly staff member who was expecting me, had my registration ready, and even invited me back down for wine and cheese open to the guests. I was expecting a small room, but found one of the nicest rooms ever. I had the entire fourth floor to myself, and when I opened the door...amazing. Wood floors, sofa, HD Direct Tv, beautiful bathroom...and a california King bed to die for. I know other reviews said it was noisy, but I found the hotel quite as can be, and the comfort more than pleasing...

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed December 16, 2009

The Independent is a great find in the never ending search for hotel that doesn't look or feel like every other chain hote. Unique entrance, incredilble service during check in process by a knowledgeable, corteous, professional young man named Jim. His suggestions & directions for our evening were all wonderful. What a pleasure it was to interact with an individual who actually seemed to enjoy his job.
Once in the room, we were very impressed tasteful Decor, wonderful size, very comfortable bed and the bathroom with exposed brick walls was excellent.
If you like a boutique hotel in a great location with wonderful service stay at The Independent in Philidelphia.
No negatives about our stay except we wish we could have stayed longer. We will be back!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2009

We were very disappointed in The Independent. The only positives were the location, friendly staff, & room size. Otherwise, the room was dark, the breakfast was pedestrian & worthless, & worst of all, we were unable to sleep due to the extreme noise from the bar downstairs. This location should not be a hotel, unless it is limited to party-ers who only sleep during the day.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank grannydi29
Reviewed November 11, 2009

So, when I heard this was a boutique hotel, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. And when we walked into the front door and saw nothing but an elevator, we were thinking...ohhhh no! What did we get ourselves into! And then we stepped out onto the 2nd floor reception area and it was fantastic! We booked our stay through gophila.com and got a good deal....2 nights and free parking for around $330. The independent is not RIGHT downtown (it's actually in the art district) but everything is still within walking distance. We walked to both center city and to the historic district. It was about 10 blocks to both. Took all of 20 minutes to walk there, so that part was very convenient. You get a "european style breakfast" which they deliver to your room (I actually liked that!!). The rooms were clean and well appointed. We stayed on the 5th floor and had a queen room....though I hear they have some nice suites there too! The staff was accomodating and helpful! I would definitely recommend this to couples or friends....wouldn't recommend kids (too many breakables in the room!)

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank captiancash
Reviewed November 7, 2009

We stayed at the Independent for 3 nights and had a pleasant time with no problems. Having read some of the other reviews, I can understand why people have mentioned certain concerns, but they did not affect our stay and as a result I have given fairly high scores. We would stay here again.

The hotel seems very new and our room was clean and modern. We were also upgraded to a two-room suite with the bedroom upstairs and a mini kitchen. It was great to have a bit of space, a second TV downstairs etc.

There is definitely a hands-off corporate vibe, with minimal staff presence. This wasn't an issue for us at all, and the staff we did speak to at the front desk were helpful, but it is not a place you'd go for attentive service.

Further evidence that the hotel is running on a corporate mentality comes in a slight lack of attention to detail - not enough lighting in the rooms, as has been mentioned, and odd placement of light switches, cupboard doors that came off etc. Again, not an issue while the hotel is new but I imagine it won't age very well!

The breakfast was more of a snack than a full meal - mini packages of cereal and a yoghurt predominantly. I can't remember whether we had to pay extra for this, but I wouldn't take the option if it's offered.

The car was parked in an open lot a short walk away, not owned by the hotel. As I said, no issues but not what you'd choose if you could park anywhere!

The hotel is very well located. it's just off the main shopping and restaurant area, midway between the two ends of town, so everything was in walking distance.

W e did here some slight noise from the nightclub downstairs, but not enough to keep us awake. I would make sure if you stay here that you request a room on the other side of the building, and on the upper floors.

Overall, a great place to stay as long as you know what to expect.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Our room was beautiful, the bed very comfortable and the shower amazing. I agree with everyone, the room is dark as is the bathroom. We had the room right above the nightclub, but luckily we always travel with earplugs so had no problem sleeping. The music was a consistant boom boom, so you could almost get used to it. We enjoyed our stay and was walking distance (for us) to all the sights.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2009

We checked out the reviews on this site for this hotel, but were unable to find accommodations elsewhere in the city so we decided to try it out. Overall, the property is just ok, however with more attention to detail, it could be a very nice boutique hotel. The entrance to this hotel is a single door on the street, and reception is on the second floor (you get there via an elevator). Upon arrival to the second floor, we found the front desk person 'lounging' in his chair (behind a desk, not a counter), and didn't move until we asked him if we could check in. He turned out to be knowledgeable and helpful, however he had a hard time keeping his eyes off the television across the lobby during the check in process. Management might want to consider a little training to ensure the front desk personnel understand that they are the "face" of the hotel. We parked our car in an open lot, which was 1/2 block away -- a negoatiated rate of $15 for 24 hours. The room ("queen loft" on the 3rd floor) was very large. On the first floor, there was a large table at which several people could have a meal, along with a very small kitchen area, with a small microwave and mini-fridge, a powder room, and a living area with a flat screen TV and small fireplace. The second floor loft had a queen sized bed, large chest of drawers, and a bathroom (no tub, though, just a shower). Consistent with other reviews written about this hotel, it had an odd and somewhat quirky air atmosphere about it. The furniture was slightly low-end (for example, a tiger-striped rug, glass-topped tables, a fur throw-pillow on the bed, and some of the lighting was the old-style florescent). It only had one table next to the bed. The second floor bathroom needs a good scrub down, although for our one night stay it was acceptable. The breakfast that is included in the price consists mainly of packaged cereals, and non-chilled bottled juices. It's delivered in a basket that is left outside your door at the time you request. Coffee and other items are only served in the lobby. The room rate was $199/night, which we thought was a fair price considering it's in the city, and for reasons mentioned above. I don't highly recommend this hotel, however if nothing else was available in Philly, you could do worse!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple