“Lovely hotel with friendly, helpful staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Independent

The Independent
Ranked #28 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Sydney, Australia
“Lovely hotel with friendly, helpful staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2009

We stayed here for just one night in May, wished it had been longer. Philadelphia has a lot to offer, and this is a lovely hotel. The room was a good size, with a large bathroom and timber floors. The bed was very comfortable, there was a desk in the room and free Wifi as well. The room had a warm, country feel to it and was very quiet. A light breakfast was delivered to our door, they suggest a range of times but will accommodate you outside of those times as well. There was coffee and tea available in the lobby all day along with newspapers. It is a flat 10-15 minute walk to Independence Hall etc, and there was a subway station close by but we didnt use it. I would highly recommend this hotel and Philadelphia as a place to visit.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
san antonio, tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

After spending quite a bit of time researching hotels and bed and breakfasts in the area, I ended up making my reservation at the Independent. Rate and location are at the top of my list of what's important after I've flipped through the photos to find rooms that look comfortable, clean and pleasing. The second runner up was $60 more per night. While I was in Philly, I dropped by that hotel and asked to look at a room. I'm so glad I ended up choosing the Independent. The rooms were comparable but the location of the Independent is much better and the rate much less.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

You set the foundation for what we were hopeful would be a pleasant stay and we were shocked to have our expectations surpassed. The reason we chose the hotel was for its proximity to the Kimmel Center and the fact it was a boutique hotel where we knew the service would be far superior to that of a "Chain Establishment" which there are many in Philadelphia.

Upon check in we were greeted with plite attention and from there it only got better. The housekeeping staff was friendly, courteous and met our every need without having to ask. Our room was spotless the entire week. The front desk staff in the evenings was also very helpful with their recommendations on dining. I must also add the wine & cheese in the evenings made our long stay much more relaxing. The morning staff was also attentive to our needs with calling for transportation and recommending activites for us during the week.

We have travled all over the world and i must tell you we have never been treated so kindly. We will recommend this hotel to everyone and I can say without a doubt we will be returning.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank FamilyCrew10
Hartford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2009

My family stayed for two nights for a quick get away. The location was fantastic for walking to the historical sights and enjoying great food. Our room was beautifully decorated - love the hardwood floors and copper celing in the bathroom - great touches! The shower was fantasitc and amenities were appreciated. Our room was cleaned while we were out and the chocolates on the beds were a nice surpirse! We enjoyed the wine tasting and the boys loved the breakfast - especially picking out their own cereal box. There is no pool or work-out room, so we were lucky that we had great weather. The flat screen TV was nice and we did use the computer room as well. The service was very helpful and we used all the advise we got on where to eat and what to do. We felt very much at home.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank HartfordKitcat
Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2009

Number 1? I'm surprised! We are just back from two nights. We had two rooms. First, I must say that the service was good (for the most part). The front desk staff was generally eager to please - but much overworked. Many times they were away from the front desk taking things (water, shampoo, etc.) to guests. The hotel was interesting and unique in design. However, I do not believe it should have a #1 rating. I am not picky and travel quite a bit. This new hotel is showing wear and tear already. The toilet paper holder had come off the wall, so the roll of paper sat on our toilet - the hole in the wall unrepaired. The robe holder was the same - just a hole left in the wall and wallpaper. The baseboards were really dusty. The flat screen tv was nice, but all the cords were hanging from it which was messy and unsightly. My main complaint is that the rooms were EXTERMELY dark. I called the front desk to ask for a brighter room and he said the rooms were dark on purpose. Hu? Seriously, I couldn't read our map in full daylight with all the lights on in the room. The two windows were 3/4 covered by very thick dark blue (almost black) curtains and couldn't be opened wider to let in more light. The closed was in a corner that had NO light at all - almost pitc dark during the day. The above bed lights sometimes didn't work. The fake palm tree blocked any light that the covered windows let in. The refirgerator didn't keep anything cold and was really noisy at night. At 2am I pulled the refrigerator out if it's built in cabinet (which broke a fingernail) so that I could unplug it. The overhead air vents were loose and also very noisy. The fan in the bathroom (which comes on automatically when you turn on the lights) was SO loud that it kept me from enjoying my morning routine because it was so obtrusive - and couldn't be turned off unless you turned off the lights. On the morning of our check out the elevator was broken and we had to haul all our very heavy luggage down the stairs. When I asked the front desk clerk if there was anyone to help us because my husband has a bad back she simply said, "and I'm pregnant." She offered to see if any of "the ladies" (who I assume were the maids) could help. I decided to hoof it and do it myself. When we finally got our luggage outside (through the basement door) the door automatically locked and we wouldn't have been able to get back in the hotel so I had my young child stand there holding the door while we loaded the car. The wine and cheese reception was skimpy, and the front desk clerk was gone when we arrived and they keep the white wine locked in the wine cooler, so red was the only option. There was a small amount of cheese available, so I felt like I couldn't take more than one or two cubes because I wanted to leave enough for the other guests in the lobby. There were no beverage options for kids except for ice water. So, what did I like? Well, the location was good for walking to the Liberty Bell area and dining options. The overall feel was unique. Some of the staff was hard working and dedicated to trying to please the guests as best they could. The breakfast options were good - and on the morning that the elevator broke they brought in Dunkin' Donuts coffee and donuts because they couldn't get to their storage room in the basement. I love Dunkin' donuts coffee - so that was a fun option and shows that the staff did try to go out of their way to provide a good morning experience despite the inconvenience of the broken elevator.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank battgirl
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2009

This is a small comfy hotel. You take the elevator to reception on the second floor. There's only one person at the desk at any time but each one we spoke to was very helpful. You use the room card to activate the elevator. Our room on the top floor had a big bathroom(shower only and strangely no curtain), good towels, robes, microwave, fridge, coffee maker. Too bad the safe was not working. We had bagels, juice, cereal, hot chocolate, tea in the small breakfast area next to reception. Utensils and plates are plastic but no problem for us. Free USA Today paper and free bottled water are available. There are 2 computers and a printer, all free. Market St/Septa station 3 blocks away, walked to the historic area and Rittenhouse Square. To top it off, got a good deal with travelzoo.com

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StChris
Tucson, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2009

Had a noisy fan that wouldn't turn off in our first room, some trouble with mildew issues (my travel mate is sensitive and the building next door is derelict and moldy) in the second room, then we got moved to the top floor, where we had a little trouble with the heat becoming overwhelming. You would think that all of this would have earned the hotel a bad rating, but the service was fantastic - they were very attentive and eager to fix whatever went wrong. Helpful and full of advice. It was a real deal for the location - and just a lovely place to be while in Philly.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business