“Nice hotel - very friendly staff”
Review of The Independent

The Independent
Ranked #30 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Passaic, New Jersey
“Nice hotel - very friendly staff”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

This is a really nice hotel with an exceptionally friendly and accomodating staff. They have set things up to really put the guests' comfort front and center. The rooms were nice, the beds comfortable, and it doesn't have the cookie-cutter big city hotel feel or the falling apart boutique feel.

The location is a little loud and there are little things in the rooms that could be fixed up (crack in the paint, for example) but overall would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear MKChicago,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found your experience with our boutique hotel to trump that of a larger, chain hotel. You are correct that comfort for our guests is our main focus, and I am pleased that we did not disappoint you in that regard. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

Emily Kuch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Petersburg, Virginia
Reviewed April 7, 2014

The Independent was a delightful place to stay at. I highly recommend it because the staff was warm and friendly throughout the stay. The rooms were clean and a light breakfast was delivered straight to your door. There were many restaurants around the hotel to choose from that were walking distance. And the theatre district is conveniently located nearby, as well as the subway so as to get around town ever too easily. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Philadelphia.

Room Tip: There was a shower without a bath tub in the room I stayed at. The sink was high. So if you are tr...
Green Features: They provided an ihome as a charger for your iphone. That was very thoughtful of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear WafaHozien,

I am absolutely delighted to hear how pleased you were with our hotel. We have a high standard for cleanliness, and I am glad that you found your room to be spotless. I am also glad you enjoyed how friendly and helpful our staff is. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Rolla, Missouri
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Nice place, helpful staff, neat room. Philly is walkable from here. If you stay here with kids you will need to explain various paraphilias in the area and why the HIV testing bus is parked a block away on weekend nights.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear legolaceration,

I'm happy you enjoyed our property, our ready-to-help staff, and your guest room. While I am also glad you found our central location convenient, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the surrounding neighborhood. Although Midtown Village is regarded as one of the safest neighborhoods in Philadelphia, there are indeed imperfections to be found that come along with such a large metropolitan area. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed April 2, 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights while we were in the Philly area looking at colleges. The hotel was perfect- clean, great location, nice and spacious rooms, simple breakfast delivered to your door, parking right near by, and very friendly staff. If my daughter gets into one of her schools of choice in Philly, we will be back!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank cowmu1
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear cowmu1,

I am very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, from the cleanliness and spaciousness of your guest room to the convenience of our parking garage and our hand-delivered breakfast. Perfection is absolutely what we are going for! We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed at the Independent while in town for a conference being held a few blocks away at the Marriott. The neighborhood around the hotel is cute, with many bars/restaurants. The staff was exceedingly warm and friendly. They had to change our room from the one we initially booked and gave us a bottle of champagne for the (minor) inconvenience. Our room was clean and comfortable. Continental breakfast is brought to the room and you select from a variety of options (cereal, oatmeal, croissant, granola bar and string cheese, as well as yogurt, juice, fruit etc). The room came with a fridge, microwave, and Keurig coffeemaker. Wifi was free and fast. I'd stay there again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear S0phea,

I am so glad to hear that our staff left a lasting impression on you, and that you were thoroughly pleased with your accommodations despite the inconvenience of having your room changed. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the charm of our neighborhood, Midtown Village. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I absolutely loved this hotel, the rooms are gigantic and well furnished and the staff are very friendly. I have stayed in single rooms in some UK hotels that were the same size as the bathroom here !!! There is a real ambience of cultured charm and it is impeccably furnished and decorated. The location is perfect for exploring Philadelphia too and surrounded by lots of great night life. They bring a small basket of breakfast good to you, orange juice, muffins, that kind of thing and its included in the price.

My only small negative, I dropped something the rolled under the bed and it was filthy down there, really the whole room was absolutely sparkling clean and never would have noticed this except for the need to lie on the floor and look.

Overall an absolutely fantastic place to stay!

Room Tip: They provide ear plugs but the rooms at the back are very quiet, don't know if needed elsewhere...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank lee_bear
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear lee_bear,

I am absolutely delighted that you found our to hotel to be exceptional, and that you enjoyed the spaciousness and coziness of your guest room. I am also glad you took advantage of our complimentary breakfast and the convenience of our central location. However, I am sorry to hear about the cleanliness issue underneath your bed, and I have taken the neccessary steps to make sure this does not happen again. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

new jersey
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Since I was going to be in Philadelphia Thurs & Fri at the Convention Center, I decided to stay in the city rather than commute in both days. The location was great, I was at an event down the street at the Curtis Institute of Music and this was very convenient and walking distance. They offer discounted parking which is great for the city (no onsite parking) and free room service breakfast. Coffee/tea in the lobby 24/7. With a one night stay, I didn't get to use a lot of the amenities and services but if I need to stay again, it will be here.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank chrisx98
Dear chrisx98,

I am happy to hear that you found the location of our hotel convenient for your visit to the Curtis Institute of Music, and that you were able to take advantage of our discounted parking and coffe/tea in the lobby. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.