The Independent Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District(Philadelphia)(Great Value!)
$197
$197
$234
$219
  • Restaurant
Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square(Philadelphia)
$239
$167
$208
$199
$329
  • Room Service
All reviewsbreakfast deliveredqueen lofthardwood floorscontinental breakfastlocust streetyogurtexposed brickgreen eggsgreat boutiqueeach morningstreet noisewithin walking distanceshower stallsmall hotellarge bathroomkimmel centercenter city
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed at The Independent for Valentine's Day on a weekend trip to Philadelphia. We were both impressed with the understated elegance of the hotel, which is nestled on a busy street near Center City. It is very near all the action, close to theaters, restaurants, shopping, historical sites, and the Metro. The staff were incredibly friendly and hospitable, which made it hard to stay just one night!

The queen room was well-appointed with hardwood floors, high ceilings, and large windows. The bathroom did not have a bathtub, which was disappointing, but everything was clean and modern. The bed was a bit soft for my taste, and the street is quite noisy on a Friday night, but overall it's a wonderful little place to stay if you're going to be "out and about" in the city anyway.

Overnight parking was expensive and, if you choose to self-park in the garage, limited and exposed to the elements. This would be fine in the spring, but there was significant snow covering parking lines and piled in spots, which really made parking a headache. The garage IS very close to the hotel, though, so that is a plus.

If I visit Philadelphia in the future, I will definitely consider staying here again. It is worlds better than any hotel chain you can think of.

Room Tip: Rooms off Locust and on a higher floor would be quieter. Corner suites have a few windows, which was lovely in the morning. If you aren't going to be sitting around in your hotel room, save the money and go for a smaller room - it's just as lovely and accommodates all the basic needs.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear quackel,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am so glad that you had a wonderful stay during Valentine's Day. We love being located so close to Philadelphia's great shops and restaurants, and I am pleased to hear you were able to explore our exciting neighborhood. However, I am sorry to hear you had some trouble with parking. On your next visit to The Independent, we would be happy to assist you with parking in a different parking lot which we are also associated with. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I needed to stay at a hotel in downtown that was reasonable and I am glad I picked this one. They have complimentary wine and cheese in the evening which is excellent. Walking distance to stores and various restaurants. The bed was as if I was sleeping on a cloud. And the staff was very professional and accommodating. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Dear xty20783,

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our wine & cheese reception, our convenient location, and our extremely comfortable mattresses. I am also delighted that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I've stayed here a few times...it's not your average hotel, high ceilings, wood floors. I stayed in the two bedroom suite this last time, very cute and the Murphy bed was very comfortable ...great for 2 couples to share

Room Tip: The 2 room suite was great
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Dear 2Jaded4U,

I am so pleased to hear that you have visited us several times and enjoyed it each time. Our Queen Loft Suite is popular with guests due to it's coziness and luxurious comfort. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

If you want a great location with a short easy walk to the Reading Market, the Liberty Bell, the City Hall and the old historic Eastside neighborhoods this is the place. The staff is so friendly and accommodating, if you need something they will help you get it. Our two rooms were very large with big bathrooms. We stayed here for two nights on a train trip from NYC to Washington DC and I wish we could have stayed a few more. The first morning I was so surprised to find my breakfast outside my door in a cute little basket. I will stay here again when visiting Philly. I will try to post some photos.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Dear DenverDanny,

I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay with us, and that our staff showed you the exceptional hospitality service that helps distinguish us from other hotels in the city. I am also glad that you are already looking forward to visiting us again, and we will of course welcome you with open arms on your next trip to Philadelphia. The photos you have posted are fantastic! We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Excellent friendly staff with all the amenities you would expect from a hotel paying 2x. BUT what trumps all is the beds! Quality and comfort all the way. We have stayed in many different Philly hotels over the years and this is the only one that has King size pillows on a king bed! Breakfast at your door each morning and staff that remembers your name makes this hotel a stand out. We will be back!

Room Tip: We started our 6 nights stay in the beautiful front corner room, noise from the street had us asking for a backside room, which was super quiet-so if quiet is your thing ask for a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Dear Deb0B_12,

I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed our guest amenities, helpful staff, and comfortable beds. Many guests come back to stay with us again and again because of our supremely comfortable Serta mattresses and soft pillows. I am glad this will be the case for you as well! We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.