We stayed at The Independent for Valentine's Day on a weekend trip to Philadelphia. We were both impressed with the understated elegance of the hotel, which is nestled on a busy street near Center City. It is very near all the action, close to theaters, restaurants, shopping, historical sites, and the Metro. The staff were incredibly friendly and hospitable, which made it hard to stay just one night!
The queen room was well-appointed with hardwood floors, high ceilings, and large windows. The bathroom did not have a bathtub, which was disappointing, but everything was clean and modern. The bed was a bit soft for my taste, and the street is quite noisy on a Friday night, but overall it's a wonderful little place to stay if you're going to be "out and about" in the city anyway.
Overnight parking was expensive and, if you choose to self-park in the garage, limited and exposed to the elements. This would be fine in the spring, but there was significant snow covering parking lines and piled in spots, which really made parking a headache. The garage IS very close to the hotel, though, so that is a plus.
If I visit Philadelphia in the future, I will definitely consider staying here again. It is worlds better than any hotel chain you can think of.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Independent is a 24-room boutique hotel located in a fully restored Georgian-Revival building located at 1234 Locust Street in the vibrant Midtown Village area of Center City, Philadelphia. Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, The Independent is ideal for tourists and business travelers looking for a grand feel in a boutique, personalized hotel experience. Our guests experience luxury accommodations in the heart of Philadelphia, and are able to walk to theaters, the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Rittenhouse and other Philadelphia attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, HotelsClick, Jetsetter, Agoda, Reservation Counter and Despegar.com so you can book your The Independent reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Independent Boutique Hotel Philadelphia