The Independent Hotel
Agoda.com
$229
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbreakfast deliveredqueen lofthardwood floorscontinental breakfastlocust streetyogurtexposed brickgreen eggsgreat boutiqueeach morningstreet noisewithin walking distanceshower stallsmall hotellarge bathroomkimmel centercenter city
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I had a pleasant two-night stay at The Independent in mid-September in conjunction with my visit to the Barnes Collection. The lobby is upstairs from the street, which adds a measure of security, as the block the hotel is on is a bit dicey at night. When I arrived, complimentary wine and snacks were offered in the lobby. My room was very spacious, but extremely dimly lit. It featured a little mini-kitchen in the corner, and a large bathroom (no tub, though). Comfortable bed. Breakfast arrives in a basket and is pretty basic...yogurt, an unappetizing Red Delicious apple (who eats these mushy specimens?) and some kind of bread (can't remember what it was, so obviously pretty ordinary). Disappointed with the breakfast, but I did like the hotel in general. Very helpful front desk staff, who mailed me a scarf that I forgot in my room!

Room Tip: My room facing the street was surprisingly quiet due to the good quality windows. I would imagine that rooms facing away from the street would be quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank greenleafhill
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear greenleafhill,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you took advantage of our special guest amenities such as our wine and cheese reception. However, I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the breakfast options. If you choose to stay with us again, please contact me and I would be happy to discuss how we can improve your breakfast basket during your stay. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We booked The Independent due to the reviews here on Trip Advisor and the hotel's price point. We stayed one night in a second floor suite, which felt much more like a Bed & Breakfast than a hotel, largely due to the suite's proximity to the second floor lobby and reception desk. Our room was quite large, with hardwood floors throught and a funky collection of furnishings. It's a nice change of pace from your standard hotel room layout.

We were concerned about the potential for noise, based on what has been written previously about the second floor and our proximity to the street, but those fears turned out to be unfounded. And the staff at The Independent were very pleasant and helpful. The quirkiness of the hotel means it's not for everyone, but I'd absolutely consider returning to The Independent.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rdooz
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Dear rdooz,

I am delighted to hear that you found our property to be unique, comfortable, and a nice break from more standard hotels. One reason guests return to our boutique hotel is because they feel at home when they are here. Our secret: hardwood floors, high ceilings, attention to detail and stellar customer service. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

This is a great little boutique hotel. We came here straight from NYC so the room seemed HUGE. (Could have fit at least two of our NYC room inside it.) We had a fridge and a place to make coffee, a couch, a fake fireplace and our shower had two shower heads! My only quibble is the fact that the window blinds were broken, making it difficult to raise and lower blinds and there wasn't much sunlight to be had in any case, so that made the room dark. I'm leaving it at five stars nevertheless, because the service was great. We wanted to find a place to do laundry, and the desk clerk/manager offered to wash some non delicate items for us with the hotel laundry for no extra charge. So thoughtful! My husband actually took him up on this (not me, I'm delicate all over :)). Also, the location was great -- you could walk out to a number of very nice restaurants, or just look at the Halloween decorations and the extremely old architecture. Very fun. One other thing -- a free breakfast basket came with the room, and there was more food than you could eat, but luckily most of it was portable, so we just packed it up and took it with us. This saved time and money later in our trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with more light.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank katdarcy

Dear denisetheartist,

Thank you for choosing The Independent and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am so glad you found the King Suite to be very spacious and comfortable. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast delivered to your door, our front desk staff, and our Midtown location. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

I love boutique hotels. The quaint, quirky difference are so worth giving up the big hotel chains' travel point. This is one of the best, especially in Philadelphia. It is a small 24 room hotel with each room individually decorated with chic comfortable and tasteful furnishings. I am staying in a king room with amble space to relax and even do a little yoga. The bed is uber comfortable and I didn't want to get up this morning but stay tucked in all warm and cozy. The bathroom is roomy with a large enough shower. Breakfast is delivered to your door in the morning with a wide selection of your choices. Coffee is k-cup style with more in the lobby. Wine and cheese at 6pm is complimentary and parking is free--a reason alone to stay here. And the price is right to boot. I stayed in the Double Tree earlier this week on the 15th floor and could hear much more street noise there than here on the 5th floor. The front desk person, Richard, is charming and friendly. Then there is the amazing location off the corner of 12th and Locust right near all things center city. Hubby is on his way to spend the rest of the weekend with me and I know his 6'7" height will be well accommodated here.This may be my go to hotel in Philly from now on...if they keep the price right.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank denisetheartist
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Dear denisetheartist,

Thank you for choosing The Independent and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am very pleased to hear that you found your accommodations at our hotel to be perfect for you and your husband. We love having spacious rooms and comfortable beds, and I think it's great you even had enough room to do yoga! I am also glad you took advantage of our complimentary amenities, such as our breakfast and wine & cheese reception. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We loved everything about this small, friendly hotel. The price was perfect and incredibly came with free parking. Parking in Philly is very expensive. Our room was clean and large enough.
Breakfast (free) is waiting at door every morning, along with newspaper. We walked everywhere,
and were always greeted when we returned.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MoldyOldy

Dear MoldyOldy,

I am delighted to hear that you had a great experience at our hotel. I am pleased that you took advantage of our parking coupon via TripAdvisor, and also the complimentary breakfast hand delivered to your door. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.