“Excellent Downtown Location”

Ranked #30 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Tucson, Arizona
“Excellent Downtown Location”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My overall rating of my stay here was Very Good. The location is great for those who want to easy access to the many historical locations. The room were a little small, but clean and comfortable. The bathroom was spacious. The staff was very friendly and did all they could to make our stay enjoyable. There is some downtown street noice in the evenings but not so much to effect our ability to sleep at night. If I return to Philly someday I would definately choose The Independent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear azlljones,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

It is wonderful to know that we will be your first choice for accommodations when you return to Philadelphia. I agree with you about the convenience of our location to the historical attractions of Old City. Many guests are surprised to learn that we are also walking distance from the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Rittenhouse Square, and the Italian Market in South Philly. I am happy to hear that you also found our staff friendly and helpful. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

Emily Kuch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed 8/26-30. Hotel was wonderful. Rooms look like their photos, bathrooms large. Staff friendly with lists of great area restaurants (many). The hotel had a happy hour with wine and cheeses which was a fun way to meet other travelers and get ready for an evening out

Room Tip: 2nd floor is where the small lobby is- quiet floor overall,l and easily accessible to coffee and hap...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear jkgm,

I am glad to hear you had a fantastic stay with us, and also that you enjoyed our amenities such as the wine & cheese reception. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed September 12, 2013

What a lovely place. The room was cozy, yet elegant. The location could not be more perfect - right in the center of town near all the great cultural institutions and in easy walking distance to the more historic areas. The staff could not have been more accommodating and pleasant. The amenities, including breakfast delivered to ones room, were great. However, I had no internet and the television did not work. The hotel did make an adjustment to my room rate because of that and as a result I felt very fairly treated. I will book this hotel any time I return to visit my home town.

Room Tip: I chose a the fifth floor to escape the noise from Locust Street.
Green Features: Excellent "green" consciousness. Notes about not washing sheets and towels unless necessary and registers in each room to adjust and not overuse the heat or air-conditioning.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear poplar311,

Your description of our property and your stay is motivating, and I am very pleased that you found the hotel to exceed your standards. Our staff thrives on making guests feel comfortable and informed, and it's great that you found them to be so helpful. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in the 2 queen bed room in the independent hotel from Sept 8-10. Having just landed in the USA, we wanted comfort to settle into our road trip, and we found it here. The location is ideal with everything being walking distance. The mural mile is on your doorstep. The staff could not have been more accommodating & were very pleasant to deal with. Complimentary breakfast is delivered to your door! We got the free parking offer which made a huge difference-parking is expensive in Philly! Wine & cheese reception every weekday from 6-7pm!! Only two criticisms-the shower floor needed a good scrub with mildew spray so we used a towel on the floor. The room also faced the next door restaurant which was busy until closing time, so dosing off at 10pm (jet lag) was harder, but it was peaceful otherwise.
I've just read over this review I've written thinking 'this is what I don't like to read when I'm looking for an honest review...it looks a bit cheesy'. But honestly, if you want comfort, and don't mind paying a bit more for it (pay in advance for 20% off), then I recommend the Independent Hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear MaryRose K,

It is wonderful to hear that you had such a comfortable stay with us, and that you enjoyed our convenient Midtown Village location. I am also glad that you took advantage of our free parking promotion via TripAdvisor, wine & cheese reception, and complimentary breakfast. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

NJ
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here recently in August with our three children (ages 12, 9 and 5) and with my daughters best friend-another 8 year old. We all were very comfortable! We did not feel cramped at all. We had a bed up in the loft for me and my husband with our own bathroom (though we did have only one shower)We had a pull out sofa bed for 2 kids and a Murphy bed for 2 more! The room and loft space were clean and nicely decorated. The staff didn't blink an eye when they saw all of us piling out of the elevator :-) and were helpful in giving us ideas about where to sight see. The kids loved the hot chocolate that was always available and we liked the breakfast that was delivered to the room. Not the most amazing food but it did the job and was super convenient. We parked about a block away and the location was good. Nice street within quick driving or walking distance to many attractions. Also the staff let us drop of our copious amounts of stuff: luggage and bags and food (oh my!) during the day before our room was ready which was really convenient. Additionally when I was calling around to various hotels in Philly to make inquiries I noted that this hotel was the most welcoming-even over the phone! Altogether I think a great place to stay with children!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear msw7,

I am absolutely delighted to hear about how accomodating our Queen Loft Suite was for you and your family. I am also pleased that you had a great experience with our staff, starting from the moment you spoke with them on the phone. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed here because of the mix of location, quality of hotel, and price. I'm so glad we did. The hotel is easily accessible from the airport regional rail (get off on Market East station and walk a few blocks), and is close to great restaurants and cultural sites. The room was nicely appointed, clean, reasonably quiet (it is a bustling urban area after-all), and the staff are very welcoming. The wine/cheese happy hour was fun and it was interesting to mingle with the other guests. This place seems to attract diverse clientele. We chatted the most with a multi-generational family from France and an urban hipster from LA.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jill C,

I think it's wonderful that you not only thoroughly enjoyed the time you spent at our hotel, but in the surrounding area as well. It is true that we are a quick walk away from many fantastic restaurants, tourist attractions and cultural venues. I am also glad that you had the chance to meet other guests during our wine and cheese reception, as it's a fun way to mingle with visitors from around the world. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

easton, pa
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed here one night for a girls' weekend with my friend and our teenaged daughters. We had tickets to see the Phillies at CBP, and Fall Out Boy at Temple. I wanted to stay someplace central with easy transportation between the two venues.

I chose The Independent based on previous reviews. It's a boutique hotel that gives very personal service. I had many questions upon arrival regarding parking, dining, and subway transportation. I was given specific instructions and suggestions in a friendly, attentive manner.

The room itself had just enough space for us. Large, well-lit bathroom, yes the shower might be too small for tall men, but it worked for us ladies. Keurig machine, iHome, strong free internet, nice dark curtains for sleeping, flat screen TV...all the comforts of home.

We loved that the hotel delivers your continental breakfast, and a newspaper to your door. Your key card only works for your floor, and you need to use it to gain entrance to the hotel's entrance after 10 pm. Nice safety feature.

Subway is nearby making exploring the city convenient. We had no trouble getting to Citizen's Bank Park, or Temple University. I would love to stay here again whenever my plans include an overnight stay in Philadelphia.

Room Tip: Our room faced a building. We did not hear any street noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends