The Independent Hotel
Travelocity
$179
$125
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbreakfast deliveredqueen lofthardwood floorscontinental breakfastlocust streetyogurtexposed brickgreen eggsgreat boutiqueeach morningstreet noisewithin walking distanceshower stallsmall hotellarge bathroomkimmel centercenter city
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 19, 2013

What a fabulous boutique hotel in a perfect location. The staff, especially Nick, could not have been more accommodating. The room was clean and beautifully appointed. Lovely continental breakfast delivered to our door. We will definitely return. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank GypsyHeiress
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear GypsyHeiress,

I am very pleased to hear that you fully enjoyed your guest room, the central location of the hotel, and our accommodating staff. Nick is a valued asset to our company, and I will certainly share your praise with him and the rest of the staff. I am also glad that you enjoyed the unique breakfast system we offer. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary, so I called the hotel a couple of days early and asked them to ensure that the flowers I had ordered would be in the room when we arrived. I spoke to Erik, and he said he would take care of it. Sure enough, Erik checked me in and he made sure the flowers were in the room. In addition to Erik, all of the other staff members I encountered were friendly and professional. One night I asked for suggestions for a jazz club to visit. The gentleman at the desk recommended three not far from the hotel, and we went to a bar called Time--and had a blast. The band was great on Friday night.

We only had two real complaints. First, the air conditioning worked too well. It blew straight out over our bed, and there was no way to adjust the direction of the air flow, so we had to let it blow for awhile and then stop it so we wouldn't freeze. Second, the bed wasn't as comfortable, i.e., firm, as I would have hoped, but it wasn't bad. Overall, this is a great place for a cozy, romantic getaway. The hotel is within walking distance or a quick taxi ride to numerous restaurants and bars downtown. My wife and I stayed at this hotel many years ago, I guess when it was The Inn on Locust, and we are glad we returned for another visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear fwy,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am delighted to hear that you chose to spend your anniversary with us, and even happier that we were able to make the occasion extra special. Our staff thrives on professionalism, diligence, and friendliness, and I am very glad that you were able to experience this from your encounters with each of our employees. I am, however, sorry to hear that you didn't find the air-conditioning in your guest room comfortable. If you stay with us again, we will gladly adjust it for you or give you a room where this won't be an issue. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights and loved it. Great location - convenient to all, very reasonably priced. The staff - Emily, Dan, Eric, Rodney were so great and took great care of us. My birthday was during our stay and they were very gracious. We will be back.

Room Tip: One of the nights there was a ton of street noise - request a quieter room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear coreyman97,

I am very happy to hear that we were able to make your birthday in Philadelphia a great one. I am also glad that you found our rates to be reasonable. Some may think because we are a boutique hotel in the center of the city, we will be expensive...but we aren't! We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Independent is in a great central location to the historic sites as well as the convention center and Reading Terminal. We had the double deluxe queen room and since we have two teenagers requested a cot. Even with the cot we still had room to walk and relax. The bathroom was large enough for two people to get ready at once. The vanity top had enough space for all our toiletries. There was a fridge, microwave and Kerig coffee machine. All came in handy for leftovers. Others have reviewed that they did not care for the continental breakfast getting delivered to the room or for the choices. Our family enjoyed it mainly since we could continue to get ready while eating or while others were in the shower. We are also light eaters so for use the choices were good.

Dan was working when we checked in and was very knowledgable on local restaurants, parking and other things to do in the area. Dan was very accommodating in ensuring that we had plenty of towels as well helped with the delivery of the cot. We took him up on a few of his resturant choices and we was spot on with all of them.

Erik was very helpful when i called to reserve the room and helped to pick the correct size room for traveling as a family with two teenagers (1 boy and 1 girl). He was also working the morning we checked out and was quite helpful as well.

The only complaint would be that there was not enough lighting in the room. Weal agreed that the lights could have been brighter for reading.

We would return to this hotel for sure

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear meanica123,

I very much appreciate the fact that you wrote such a thorough review, detailing all the things that made your stay so special. Our Deluxe Double Queen rooms are known for being very spacious and comfortable for family stays. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the customer service of two of our friendly and knowledgable staff members, Erik and Dan. I will certainly pass your comments along to them and the rest of the staff. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is a gem of a hotel. It is small, the desk remembers your name, the king bedded room is large, clean, and very comfortable. Housekeeping does a great job, and they give you a large continental breakfast (more than we can eat) delivered to your room. It is located in the heart of center city with convenient parking. Do be prepared for an elevator trip from the street to the lobby with no luggage assistance, but this is no big deal if you can manage your own luggage.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear bart0001,

I very much appreciate all your kinds words regarding the hotel, and I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. We absolutely love being able to remember each and every guest by name and personally greet them with a smile when they walk through our doors. I am also glad to hear you were satisfied with the service of our exceptional housekeepers and the in-room breakfast delivery. The next time you stay with us, please let us know if you need luggage assistance and our front desk staff will be happy to assist you. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.