“Cheap Sheets, Hard Pillows and No Sleep”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Independent

The Independent
Ranked #27 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
“Cheap Sheets, Hard Pillows and No Sleep”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I attended a trade show at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia this past week and stayed at The Independent. First, the positive thoughts. Julie at the front desk was very gracious and helpful. Also, the hotel was centrally located and it was easy to walk to the Convention Center as well as restaurants and key sights.

Now, the not so positive. The room was okay, not great. There was no luggage rack, so I put my suitcase on the chair that went with the desk. As another reviewer stated, the breakfast is adequate--choice of juices, yogurts, cereals, croissant and jam delivered to your door, however, there is really no place in the room to eat it (and I was already using the chair as my luggage rack).

The worst feature of the room, however, are the cheapest, scratchiest sheets in the world and the brick hard pillow from which I developed a crick in my neck. Also, I agree with the other reviewer that the comforter was very tired, and for the price of this room, all of these linens should be much, much better.

Finally, on the street in front of the hotel, people tend to congregate at 3:00 in the morning to apparently have rap contests with loud music, so it is extremely noisy and difficult to get sleep. At no fault of the hotel, I saw what appeared to be a prostitute soliciting a potential client in front of the hotel. I had to cross the street at different spots in the block to avoid some of the activities that seem to go on in front of the hotel. Again, no fault of the hotel, but for single women travelers like myself, you need to be careful.

I loved the location and Julie was great, and if I stayed here again, I would ask for a room not facing the street.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Susan P
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Susan P,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than perfect. I do agree with you that the duvet covers are worn. We have just ordered all new duvets for the hotel and will be changing them out as soon as they arrive. I am sorry to hear that your pillow was not comfortable. We have several different types of pillows in the hotel so if you choose to stay with us, we would be happy to bring you a different pillow at your request.

I am also sorry to hear that you found our location to not feel safe. If there are any noise issues or any activities that you perceive to be illegal near our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact us right away and we will call our local law enforcement. Safety of our guests is our number one priority and we will do anything in our power to make sure our guests are at ease.

Emily Kuch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cardiff
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

We booked this hotel as the reviews were so good on Trip Advisor. The location was excellent. Reception was welcoming, but that was as far as it went,
We were booked into room 208, which was extremely dark with no view and no light coming in from the windows, you couldn't see the sky! only a derelict building next door. As if it wasn't dark enough there was a plastic film on the window which cut more light out. The layout of the room wasn't good, there was only one bedside table for a double bed and the bedframe was so large we kept knocking our shins on it every time we walked passed it, this was also partly due to the large chest of drawers taking up a lot of space. There was a fridge, microwave and coffee facilities in the room. You had a form to complete to choose your breakfast which had to be left outside the room by 10pm. Breakfast came in a box was left outside the door in the morning, we felt that we were in a cell, we had to sit on the bed to eat breakfast as there was only one chair. We did ask to change room, but were told that they were full, we were also told that the front rooms facing the street were noisy (if that's the case get double glazing). One of the keys also didn't work and took three attempts to programme it. The bathroom floor didn't look particularly clean and there was a small amount of mould in the shower. Apart from Eric, the staff (when they were at the desk) didn't seem to be very interested. We are not difficult to please but we were so disappointed with this hotel (see other reviews)

Room Tip: Don't choose 208, the other rooms looked bright and cheerful.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cardifftravellers
Dear cardifftravellers,

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than perfect. Because room 208 is on the side of our building, it has a view of the building next door that is under renovation. Though we cannot control the unattractive view of the renovations, we did frost out the lower part of the window to make your view more enjoyable. The frost and the upper window do let light into the room, but I am sorry that it was not bright enough for your enjoyment.

I am also sorry to hear that you felt like you were living in a cell. We do not have a designated breakfast area because of the petit size of our hotel. Most guests do enjoy the hand delivered complimentary breakfast, but I am sorry if you felt like we were trapping you in your room, that was not our intention. The shower and bathroom floor have been re-treated and is beautifully white and bright now. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Manchester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

I found this hotel on TripAdvisor and booked because of the great ratings and excellent hotel amenities. Overall my stay was very nice, and I recommend this hotel to business and pleasure travelers alike. It's *different*, boutique, and not another chain hotel, which is exactly what I was looking for.

What I liked was:
*The beautiful, high ceiling rooms
*Ordering breakfast and having it delivered to my room! (Free!)
*Evening wine reception (also free!) where I could meet other guests and chat
*Hotel staff who was willing to go out of their way to make my stay pleasant (restaurant recommendations AND reservations, picking up beer for the reception for a non-wine drinker, etc)
*Location- wonderful restaurants and night life within steps of the building
*Comfortable bed, beautiful bathroom, Keurig, fridge & micro in my room

Now the couple of small things that were negatives, and prevented my "excellent" rating for this hotel:
*I had trouble with the TV. I have to unplug it and plug it back in every time I wanted to turn it on. My co-workers did not have this trouble in their rooms.
*Touch-switch to the bathroom light was neat, but was worn out and difficult to use.
*A knob on one of the lights in my room was missing. A small thing, I know, but irritating nonetheless.
*The sink drain was not working properly. A co-worker also had this problem in his room.

The PROs FAR outweigh the small CONs at this hotel, and I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Philly. It is a pleasant 0.6 mi walk to the convention center, so definitely consider this property for your next convention trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear calwes76,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! I am, however, sorry to hear that your stay was not perfect. We did have several TV issues in the hotel, but have just replaced many of our TVs so there will be no further issues. We have also corrected the sink drain in your room along with the nob on the lamp that was missing. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

I've shared your comments with all of our staff and I know they are motivated by feedback like yours. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

Flanders, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Nice big room, great beds, comfy, great eating locations around area, fabulous staff!
very accommodating! Loved the contempory design of the hotel. I stayed here on the recommendation of my sister who had stayed for business previously. Glad I did and I will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear monroviajudy,

I am glad that you enjoyed our neighborhood, rooms and staff! Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Bloomingdale, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I travel a lot for both work and fun, ant the Independent if by far my favorite place to stay. The staff always go out of their way to accommodate all our needs. My sisters all stayed here as well and were amazed at the level of kindness, helpfulness and warmth of the staff memebers.

Room Tip: They are all unique and each room had it's own charm. Not cookie cutter
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ginger412,

I am very happy to hear that you found our staff friendly and accomidating! Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Mystic, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

We recently stayed at the Independent Hotel for several days. The location is ideal and the free parking was a real plus. Most of the tourist-oriented sites are easily within walking distance and there are more than enough restaurants to choose from within a reasonable distance as well. You can park your car for the entire time you are visiting and not have to deal with the traffic issues while visiting the city. Like others, we found the staff very friendly and accommodating. And, like other reviewers, we were disappointed in the breakfast. There is very little variety and the quality of the croissants, for example, is wanting. Plus, we had no table in our room where you could sit and have breakfast, so we were forced to have breakfast either on our bed, sitting on the sofa, or standing up. And, while we were staying at the hotel with other family members, we could not sit in a central location and have breakfast with them.

We always find that when we stay in hotels with breakfast included, it provides an opportunity to share stories about where to visit with other guests, get recommendations for good restaurants, and identify things to do that may be worthwhile (i.e. the city bus tours). We missed having this opportunity, but understand the limitations associated with space at this hotel. The wine and cheese reception during the week can also serve this purpose, but it was sparsely attended during our stay. The room was fine, but we had a lot of problems with our television until the last day of our visit. The shower was great. The microwave did not work at all. Overall, we were pleased with our stay. But, if and when we return for another visit to Philadelphia, we would likely look around a bit more at other hotels before deciding whether to book once again at The Independent.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear jremark,

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. As of last week, we just changed our breakfast menu and added many more delicious selections to it. If you come back to see us, you will have to let us know what you think of our new menu! Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Louisville, KY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We walked all over Philly during our 2-day stay at the Independent. And when we came back to the hotel, the bed was heavenly, the staff was friendly, and there was wine before dinner. There was almost no street noise, despite the hotel's location in the midst of Center City (though we were there during the week, and it could be different on the weekend). There was a recycling "bin" in the room, which is a great addition to any hotel room. Breakfast is grain & fruit-based, but there are restaurants a block away that serve full breakfasts, if you need that. I feel like I got some much-needed rest here. We will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear calwes76,

I am glad that you enjoyed the location and neighborhood the hotel is located in as much as we do. I am also glad that you found our beds to be heavenly! Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.