I attended a trade show at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia this past week and stayed at The Independent. First, the positive thoughts. Julie at the front desk was very gracious and helpful. Also, the hotel was centrally located and it was easy to walk to the Convention Center as well as restaurants and key sights.
Now, the not so positive. The room was okay, not great. There was no luggage rack, so I put my suitcase on the chair that went with the desk. As another reviewer stated, the breakfast is adequate--choice of juices, yogurts, cereals, croissant and jam delivered to your door, however, there is really no place in the room to eat it (and I was already using the chair as my luggage rack).
The worst feature of the room, however, are the cheapest, scratchiest sheets in the world and the brick hard pillow from which I developed a crick in my neck. Also, I agree with the other reviewer that the comforter was very tired, and for the price of this room, all of these linens should be much, much better.
Finally, on the street in front of the hotel, people tend to congregate at 3:00 in the morning to apparently have rap contests with loud music, so it is extremely noisy and difficult to get sleep. At no fault of the hotel, I saw what appeared to be a prostitute soliciting a potential client in front of the hotel. I had to cross the street at different spots in the block to avoid some of the activities that seem to go on in front of the hotel. Again, no fault of the hotel, but for single women travelers like myself, you need to be careful.
I loved the location and Julie was great, and if I stayed here again, I would ask for a room not facing the street.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Independent is a 24-room boutique hotel located in a fully restored Georgian-Revival building located at 1234 Locust Street in the vibrant Midtown Village area of Center City, Philadelphia. Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, The Independent is ideal for tourists and business travelers looking for a grand feel in a boutique, personalized hotel experience. Our guests experience luxury accommodations in the heart of Philadelphia, and are able to walk to theaters, the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Rittenhouse and other Philadelphia attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Independent reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Independent Boutique Hotel Philadelphia