“Charming!! And great location”

The Independent Hotel
Ranked #37 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised at how large and well appointed our King room was. It definitely exceeded our expectations. We would definitely stay here again when visiting Philadelphia. We lucked out and got a corner room so I'm not sure if that meant we had more windows or space, but it definitely was a great room.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave D
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Dave D,

Thank you for choosing the The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am happy to hear that you were impressed by your room. I am also glad to hear that you loved the location, we are very proud to be a part of the Midtown Village. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

The staff were helpful and friendly, room was very nice, complimentary breakfast in the morning was good. The hotel is directly above a subway stop for ease of access. Staff offered assistance with bags and travel arrangements. Will always stay at the Independent when I'm in Phillly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Spin155,

I had a chance to review the comment that you recently posted, and I was proud to read the notes you left about our staff. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

I've shared your comments with all of our staff and I know they are motivated by feedback like yours. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I loved this hotel. From the huge room, to the consistently attentive service, to the incredible location (and value), it was a very enjoyable stay. First, the location. The hotel is at 13th st and Locust St, which makes it a 5 minute walk to a multitude of restaurants (along 13th street, and along Locust and Walnut streets; favorites were The Corner restaurant and Caribou-French bistro on Walnut)), as well as a 5-10 minute walk to Rittenhouse square (shops, restaurants, Rittenhouse Park), and a 15 minute to Independence Mall historical area. The desk staff were put to the test by the fact that we had a malfunctioning TV in our room. Nick and Eric tried absolutely everything to accommodate us, including letting us watch TV in other hotel rooms on 2 separate nights! (we would not usually be this obsessed with watching TV, but we are from Boston, and the Marathon bombings occurred the first day we were here). Ultimately, they gave us a generous adjustment on our bill without being asked. Apparently, the plan is to replace all of their cable boxes very soon, but do make sure your TV works before you settle into your room! Julie, another front desk person, was equally accommodating of all of our needs. Clearly, the culture is to truly do everything possible to make the customers' stay enjoyable. A note about the breakfast which is included. Nice is that it is delivered to your room in the morning (you mark a card the night before with choices and a time). However, it is a fairly limited Continental breakfast menu, a boxed breakfast that is DIY (e.g. oatmeal that you need to microwave, yogurts, and the only bread/pastry choice is a croissant). Convenient if your trying to head out in a hurry, but we did end up just eating at Green Eggs cafe down the street, which is scrumptious! Parking was included because we printed out the coupon from the Tripadvisor link. Also liked the decor, the "living room" feel of the lobby. Will definitely come back again!

Room Tip: I don't know if all of the rooms that end in "05" are this large, but ours was huge. W...
3  Thank travelswithteens

Dear travelswithteens,

I am sorry to hear that you had TV issues during your stay, but I am very happy to hear that the issues was resolved to your expectionas. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Independent is a comfortable, cozy hotel in a very central location. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms are a good size, and it's great to get breakfast delivered to your room. I walked everywhere during my three days in Philadelphia (theatres, museums, etc.). This was my second stay at The Independent, and I was just as happy with it as I was the first time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Dear Madeline A,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your second stay with us as much as your first. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Independent is a boutique hotel----it is a restored building. The basics that it has are nice---large rooms, very good staff, decor consistent with the independence area of Philly. It doesn't have: a restaurant, concierge, vending and ice on each floor, no swimming pool, room service, or many staff. Each day I only saw one staff member---at the reception desk and moving around the hotel taking care of everyone's needs. If you're looking for a unique experience, this is it.

1  Thank drj1436

Dear drj1436,

I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your standards. We are a limited service boutique hotel. We do, however have privately owned two restaurants on the ground floor that will be opening soon and we do offer complimentary gym/pool passes to the 12th street gym on request.

I am, however, happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and accomidating. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I agree with another poster here-- the hotel is great and service is warm with one unfortunate exception-- the woman who seems to work when folks come in a bit early for check in (early afternoon). She was cold and even a bit bothered. She should not be dealing with guests at an expensive boutique hotel. All other staff members were great, warm, went out of their way to be professional and sweet with my family and me. The room was great, location excellent. All in all, I'd definitely recommend the hotel. Just ignore the first impression.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the back of the hotel. Loud on the street
1  Thank EdoB172

Dear EdoB172,

Thank you for choosing the The Independent on your recent visit and for adding a comment on your recent stay.

I am sorry that your first impression of the hotel did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at The Independent while doing tours of UPenn and other colleges. We loved The Independent . . . from the wine and cheese reception, to breakfast being delivered to our room, to the comfy, comfy beds, to the parking lot right across the street, to being in the middle of Philly! The people at reception when we checked in and out were personable, knowledgeable and very helpful. If my daughters chooses to go to college in Philly, The Independent will be our place to stay!

2  Thank Traveller45607
Colin H, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear Traveller45607,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on The Independent. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. If your daughter chooses a college in our area, please feel free to contact us again if you need accomidations. Thank you and we are looking forward to seeing you soon!

Best,