New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #11 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Miami
“Very friendly staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

The staff couldn't have been more helpful. Comfy, stylish rooms had character. We could walk to the local restaurants. Beds were very comfortable. Continental breakfast delivered to your room. We really enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night; we had taken the train in from NYC to see an Opera Philly performance and were returning home the next day. The hotel is very convenient to the Avenue of the Arts, Independence Hall area, and lots of restaurants.

Great customer service from booking to check-out (including a confirmation/reminder call the day before -- something you'd never dream of getting from a big-chain hotel!), and very friendly staff at all points. Loved the cozy, small lobby with 24-hour coffee and bottled water, and that multi-story mural was fabulous (lots of great murals in Philly, we noticed).They were able to get us into a room when we arrived late in the morning, even though it was hours before check-in. We didn't even have to ask them to call a taxi when we were leaving, which -- when the gentleman at the front desk couldn't get the taxi company to pick up the phone -- turned into him coming outside with us and flagging down a taxi for us. So helpful!

Loved the wood floors in the room, and the bed was very comfortable; good water pressure in the shower, though the bathroom could have used more light in the shower area. It was a handicap-accessible room and I'm guessing that had something to do with the shape of the bathroom (very long -- with the only lights on the end with the toilet and sink). We also loved the free wi-fi and bottled water in the room -- nice touches, both. The continental breakfast included with the room was also nice; simple, but delivered to your door at your requested time.

Not sure if it was because the forecasted snowstorm kept people at home more than usual for a Friday night, but it seemed like a relatively quiet area. (Maybe that's just because it's so noisy in our Midtown NYC neighborhood?) We really loved the tiny cobblestone and even wooden streets in the neighborhood, it felt very European (no surprise -- it's an old city, at least for the States!).

We enjoyed a great brunch at Green Egg Cafe around the corner. There were people waiting outside all Saturday morning and it was worth the wait (thankfully the weather was much nicer than the night before!).

Definitely would return if we find ourselves in Philly again (which we hope we do!). Thanks for a great intro to the city!

1 Thank K R
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

This hotel is the perfect location - walking distance of just about anything you would want. Discounted ($15/night) parking through the hotel that was close and convenient.
The staff was helpful, courteous and friendly - quickly remedying a non-working cable box for the tv. Breakfast delivered to the door. Fridge, microwave and Keurig in the room. Awesome shower and bed.

Room Tip: Room 502 had a great view of the mural across the street!
Chester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in October 2012. Booked through hotels.com and got a very good price for the room. Hotel doesn't look much from the outside and the lobby is on the 1st floor but once inside, you realise a lot of attention has been paid to the funky interior. We were greeted warmly by the reception staff. We had a room on the 3rd floor on Locust Street. High windows so no view. The room was all wooden floors, exposed brick and double height ceilings. Really individual and nice. Bathroom huge, no bathtub but not a problem for us. Bathroom well lit although the room itself was a little dark. Huge bed.

Breakfast enough to set you up for a morning's sightseeing. We are not huge breakfast eaters and usually only grab a coffee and a danish on the move so it was more than adequate for our needs. There are free soft drinks available in the lobby and the wine and cheese hour each day was a nice touch and allowed you to meet with your fellow travels. We spent a good couple of hours putting the world to rights with a couple from sweden and california!

The location is perfect. About a 10 minute walk from all the sights and plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance. The staff were able to give plenty of advice as to directions, restaurant recommendations etc.

All in all, a lovely little hotel in a fantastic city. It deserves its high rating on tripadvisor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cocoa Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I chose the Independent for a spontaneous escape to Philadelphia. Wanting a unique experience and after reading several reviews, I chose to book for January. I agree with everyone when they say that it is a beautiful boutique hotel, quite, although I was able to hear the on-goings of my neighbors next to me and across the hall (nothing disturbing, just able to hear their conversations, their choice of TVs/movies, etc...)
Let me paint the situation. I happened to arrive approximately three hours early. I was fully aware that my room may not be ready and spoke to a delightful hostess in the lobby. She informed me that they would have my room ready momentarily and I encouraged that they can take their time, taking full responsibility of my early arrival. I happened to bump into the lady who would be cleaning my room while in the elevator; I apologized and told her to please take her time as well since I had arrived early. Approximately 30 minutes later I was informed that my room was ready. I entered my room and was immediately caught by a questionable smell. Before unloading my luggage I decided to perform a walk around in my room; I found that questionable smell to be isolated in three locations of the room.. non were the bathroom, the linens were worn, and there were hairs throughout the comforter... throughout this entire process I kept in mind that I had arrived early. The smell; however, was not one that I could accept and therefore I chose to return to the lobby, apologize again and report my findings. I was treated well and happened to also be in the presence of the hotel manager. I was kindly provided a room change to a beautiful king suite on the 5th floor. The bedroom was beautiful, the only complaints I had were 1. the toilet ring which was addressed the next day, 2. The hersheys chocolate kisses that appeared to have had seen better days... and that there was dust and dirt throughout the accent rug, draperies and windows. One final hiccup that was beyond the hotels control, but which they made little attempt to apologize for... the water was out for approximately 10 hours. Fortunately the hotel provided a gym pass to the local gym; I was able to work out and take a hot shower and use the restroom... it just took running through the rain to get there. Again, very much out of their control; wasn't even their leak that resulted in the outage. Okay, i hit the lows, now the highs:
The room delivered breakfast in the morning was wonderful. The king suite was gorgeous, if I hadn't been in Philadelphia I would have loved to stay in the bed. Dual shower heads in the shower was fantastic!
The hotel is wonderfully located within a minor walking distance from the main historic sites; I was able to enjoy the entire day walking from the Independent to Carpenter and Independent Hall, visit the Liberty Bell, sample the presidential beer sampler at City Tavern and so much more just on my two feet. Later I was able to safely walk to McGillin's Olde Ale House and encounter some amazing locals, enjoy a delicious beer and celebrate the win of the Baltimore Ravens. Although my first impressions of the Independent were "rocky" the location of the hotel alone made my first trip to Philly memorable.

Room Tip: Initially reserved for a queen sized room and I believe it was room 301... it was small and that'...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We are from Philadelphia and we wanted a getaway that was still close to home. I chose the Independent and I couldn't be happier! We requested a quiet room ahead of time and the staff was super thoughtful in choosing the room. It was huge and beautiful. It even smelled fantastic. I really love the breakfast system. You choose from a variety of continental breakfast items and then they deliver it to your door at the time that you choose. It was wonderful! You can brew coffee in a Keurig machine in your room or get it in the lobby. They have free coffee, tea, cocoa, and juice available 24 hours a day!

We had unbelievable personalized service. The all of staff was amazing and it couldn't have been nicer!

It is perfect... small, personal and artistic!!

Room Tip: If you want a special type of room, like a quiet room call in advance because it is a boutique hotel...
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is a very nice small hotel downtown Philadelphia, the location could not be better. The first night we should stay in the hotel, there had been troubles with a water leak and the hotel was closed unexpectedly. Staff was very helpful and had booked another room in another hotel for free. One week later we stayed there again and all problems in the hotel were solved. We had a very friendly welcome with wine and cheese, had good advise for restaurants, and the room was great. I certainly can recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business