I chose the Independent for a spontaneous escape to Philadelphia. Wanting a unique experience and after reading several reviews, I chose to book for January. I agree with everyone when they say that it is a beautiful boutique hotel, quite, although I was able to hear the on-goings of my neighbors next to me and across the hall (nothing disturbing, just able to hear their conversations, their choice of TVs/movies, etc...)
Let me paint the situation. I happened to arrive approximately three hours early. I was fully aware that my room may not be ready and spoke to a delightful hostess in the lobby. She informed me that they would have my room ready momentarily and I encouraged that they can take their time, taking full responsibility of my early arrival. I happened to bump into the lady who would be cleaning my room while in the elevator; I apologized and told her to please take her time as well since I had arrived early. Approximately 30 minutes later I was informed that my room was ready. I entered my room and was immediately caught by a questionable smell. Before unloading my luggage I decided to perform a walk around in my room; I found that questionable smell to be isolated in three locations of the room.. non were the bathroom, the linens were worn, and there were hairs throughout the comforter... throughout this entire process I kept in mind that I had arrived early. The smell; however, was not one that I could accept and therefore I chose to return to the lobby, apologize again and report my findings. I was treated well and happened to also be in the presence of the hotel manager. I was kindly provided a room change to a beautiful king suite on the 5th floor. The bedroom was beautiful, the only complaints I had were 1. the toilet ring which was addressed the next day, 2. The hersheys chocolate kisses that appeared to have had seen better days... and that there was dust and dirt throughout the accent rug, draperies and windows. One final hiccup that was beyond the hotels control, but which they made little attempt to apologize for... the water was out for approximately 10 hours. Fortunately the hotel provided a gym pass to the local gym; I was able to work out and take a hot shower and use the restroom... it just took running through the rain to get there. Again, very much out of their control; wasn't even their leak that resulted in the outage. Okay, i hit the lows, now the highs:
The room delivered breakfast in the morning was wonderful. The king suite was gorgeous, if I hadn't been in Philadelphia I would have loved to stay in the bed. Dual shower heads in the shower was fantastic!
The hotel is wonderfully located within a minor walking distance from the main historic sites; I was able to enjoy the entire day walking from the Independent to Carpenter and Independent Hall, visit the Liberty Bell, sample the presidential beer sampler at City Tavern and so much more just on my two feet. Later I was able to safely walk to McGillin's Olde Ale House and encounter some amazing locals, enjoy a delicious beer and celebrate the win of the Baltimore Ravens. Although my first impressions of the Independent were "rocky" the location of the hotel alone made my first trip to Philly memorable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Independent is a 24-room boutique hotel located in a fully restored Georgian-Revival building located at 1234 Locust Street in the vibrant Midtown Village area of Center City, Philadelphia. Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, The Independent is ideal for tourists and business travelers looking for a grand feel in a boutique, personalized hotel experience. Our guests experience luxury accommodations in the heart of Philadelphia, and are able to walk to theaters, the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Rittenhouse and other Philadelphia attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelsClick so you can book your The Independent reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Independent Boutique Hotel Philadelphia