When we travel I try to avoid chains and look for smaller, more personalized hotels or even bed and breakfasts. The Independent is a small boutique hotel with only 24 rooms, but the prices are quite reasonable for a city and tourist destination. Located on the corner of Locust and 13th, it's easy to get to by car, and an EZ park lot on the left 1/2 block before 13th has reduced parking for hotel guests, $15/day. Each room is slightly different, but quite spacious for a boutique hotel, which is often code for European, which is sometimes code for tiny. These rooms are large, the bed is fabulously comfortable, fridge and microwave, Keurig coffee/tea maker, flat screen tv, shower with two shower heads, furnished very tastefully, lovely colors, natural wooden floor with wool area rug. All in all very tasteful. Entrance is on the second floor, where newspapers and coffee/tea/chocolate service are always available. Staff is professional and friendly. Good location for walking: 8 blocks to Chinatown and its plethora of Asian themed restaurants; about the same to Antique Row; a bit farther to South St; just a few blocks to Broad/Avenue of the Arts and buses, including to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, bus 32, cost $2.00. I will definitely stay here during future visits to Philly. There was a bit of noise at 2 am on Saturday, when the bars close, and folks were milling about the parking lot across the street, but in general the noise level was not at all bad, and our room faced the street. If you are tall like my husband, the shower is apparently a bit short, but this is not something I ever notice myself!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Independent is a 24-room boutique hotel located in a fully restored Georgian-Revival building located at 1234 Locust Street in the vibrant Midtown Village area of Center City, Philadelphia. Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, The Independent is ideal for tourists and business travelers looking for a grand feel in a boutique, personalized hotel experience. Our guests experience luxury accommodations in the heart of Philadelphia, and are able to walk to theaters, the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Rittenhouse and other Philadelphia attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Independent Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Independent Boutique Hotel Philadelphia