“Alcohol”

Philadelphia Brewery Tour with Lunch or Dinner
Ranked #67 of 444 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Our roots lie in British inspired ales. We strive to achieve balance and subtlety through careful selection of ingredients and an unwavering commitment to artisanal production practices. Our humble beginnings taught us to take our craft seriously but not ourselves, and instilled in us a strong desire to be a positive force in the communities we serve. If you are familiar with us and have raised a pint of Yards in the past two decades, we sincerely thank you for your support. If you are new to Yards, please take a few minutes to discover who we are, what we brew, and how you can join our effort to solve the world's problems one great beer at a time.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Maryland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Alcohol”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I'm more of a food person than an alcohol person, but we were hosting friends in the city so we went here. Parking is difficult- some mean lady in a minivan stole our street parking spot when we pulled forward to back into it...so that was awkward. Once inside, it was HOPPIN. very crowded, there's a pool table that we kept having to scoot over for when people were trying to take their shots. the beer was cheap and tasty. I wish they had had food. It's really more of a bar scene than anything else. the bathroom smell can back me up on that one. Unless you are there for the beer, or a bar, my personal opinion is that there are other places that are more convenient, but everyone who served us was really nice (took me about 30 seconds to order my flight and get it and hand her my cash). I wouldn't call this an attraction.... I would say it's a glorified unique bar.

Visited March 2014

Brockton, Massachusetts
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great Brewery”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

First off- Parking is typically tough in the area with minimal parking super close to Yards, so hopefully walking will not be an issue for you.

Upon walking inside, we were greeted by a decently young female who offered us a sample (aka a sip) of one of Yards in house brews. We continued over to the bar to grab a drink (Thomas Jefferson, Ales of the Revolution...delicious) while we waited for the actual brewery tour. About fifteen minutes later they announced our tour was next. Our tour guide, albeit a bit buzzed, was fantastic. He sure was passionate about beer, especially Yards and knew how to be funny but very informative and really make you feel happy to be learning about the entire process. Great time to kill an hour or two but do not go if you are looking for a nice dinner too. All they had when we visited was chips and salsa.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Kurt T
West Chester, Pennsylvania
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“More fun than we expected”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

For a date day I planned a trip for my hubby to the Yards Brewery, not knowing that this was his favorite beer! Due to the ever-present traffic on the Schuykill Expressway, we took a scenic drive through Philadelphia to get to Northern Liberties where the brewery is located. Northern Liberties is a pretty cool up-and-coming area just north of Old City.

Pros:
Free beer on the free tour!
Entertaining guide (Michael)
Excellent food from that weekend's food truck- Taco Mondo. You can bring the food inside to eat at a table.
Interesting crowd of locals, college students, a ton of hipsters
Great vibe
Safe area
Service at bar was quick and efficient.
T-Shirts are available for purchase.
A sampler (flight) of 4 small beers is only $5

Cons:
Only on-street parking. The brewery is located on a triangle of land off of Delaware Avenue. The lots in the area all belong to Sugar House Casino. We drove around for at least 15 minutes before parking on a little side street.
They have a limited menu. Food is primarily available through the food truck which changes weekly. To find out which truck is scheduled, you need to check Yards' FB page.
Bathrooms are no frills.
No wait staff. You need to go to the bar.

We are looking forward to going again!

Visited February 2014
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“The Ales Of The Revolution”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Yards Brewing Company offers a variety of beers, both on tap and in bottles to take home. Deliciously unique, the Ales of the Revolution series features Thomas Jefferson’s Tavern Ale, Poor Richard’s Tavern Spruce, and General Washington’s Tavern Porter. Yards Brewing found inspiration for General Washington’s Tavern Porter in a detailed letter Washington sent his officers during the Revolutionary War. Tasting the Tavern Porter, I experienced a tangible connection to General George Washington, a link history books could never provide.

The tasting room, open seven days a week, serves about eight beers on tap. For $5.00, order a pint or a flight of 4 different beers. In addition to the beer, Yards Brewing pairs delicious food with their beers. Try the smoked bison sausage sandwich, topped with either bison chili and cheddar-jack cheese or sauerkraut and onions. All of the food looked delicious, and is reasonably priced. The relaxed atmosphere of the tasting room provides a great venue to meet friends, watch a game or shoot a game of pool.

Yards Brewing opens the brewery for free tours on Saturdays and Sundays, from 12:00 to 4:00 PM.

Visited February 2014
Gaithersburg
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“Yards Beer: It's Here, Get Used To It”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

During a recent weekend trip, I finally took an opportunity to visit this wonderful brewery. Located on Delaware Avenue, and near Fishtown with its' many liquid pleasure houses, Yards Brewery, whether for the tour or the Tasting Room, is a Philadelphia must-see. I stopped by the Tasting Room (on my way to the aforemention Fishtown); there was a bustling atmosphere around the circular bar area. The bar was equipped with an I-Pad, where one could check out the many styles available or just go onto their website. The room is of moderate size with the typical industrial décor, high brick walls adorned with Yards swag. To the right, adjacent to the bar, and behind the glass, is the brewery. Look inside for Yards One, the original brick system. Tours are frequent and very popular.

Yards offers their Basic Signature beers on tap along with "Ales of the Revolution," which included the wonderful George Washington Tavern Porter. The special was Rye IPA for $5.00 a pint. Food is served; however, I did not partake. Should you wish to avoid a DWI, the brewery is accessible to public transit: Bus 25 or the Spring Garden subway station.

Honestly, this is one of the best tasting rooms I've ever visited.

Visited January 2014