“Enjoyed the Boat exploring”

Independence Seaport Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$16.00*
and up
Independence Seaport Museum Admission
Ranked #51 of 443 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: Philadelphia's maritime museum features interactive exhibits, historic ships (Spanish American war-era cruiser Olympia and WWII-era submarine Becuna) and changing exhibition galleries. Seasonal river tours of the Delaware River and kayaks / rowboat rentals available. Extended evening hours Thursday - Saturday Memorial Day - Labor Day.
ottawa canada
163 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 164 helpful votes
“Enjoyed the Boat exploring”
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

First of we did not get to the museum so this is all about the so and the submarine we explored. First we explored the submarine. It's amazing the cramped quarters and the conditions they must have faced. The torpedo's were huge. So interesting to see everything.
The ship was a battleship used in the last 1800's if you can believe. Much more spacious for the crew but I could imagine the empty places filled with shelves of bombs. There was one place the large gun was next to were the sleeping hammock's were. Another case in the room where the admiral quarters were.
It was fun to go aboard and explore. Maybe not for everyone especially if you have any trouble with ladders.

Atlanta, Georgia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Childhood favorite”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I remember going here as a child with my dad. One of my fondest childhood memories. So I just had to take my kids. The Museum itself has been well kept and the exhibits updated. They had a treasure hunt for the kids which helped to keep them interested. Then it was on the the ships. We only had time for one so we did the sub. It was smaller then I remembered (of course I'm much bigger then I was). The control room was open which was a nice bonus even though my youngest was too young to go up the ladder. Otherwise what a great piece of history. Climb down the stairs and step back in time.

Visited June 2014
Reno, Nevada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Very interesting”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I enjoyed my time at the museum - especially seeing the underwater exploration exhibits (I'm a scuba diver). Your ticket for the museum also includes admission to the Olympia (Spanish-American and WWI war ship) and WWII sub. Be prepared to walk to get to the vessels but it's worth the walk.

Visited June 2014
Greenville, South Carolina
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Ship Shape”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

The museum itself is a mixture of industrial ship models, signage, navigation instrumentation, and the like. I was fortunate enough to visit while there was a special exhibition on the SS United States. Excellent in all aspects. (Please also visit THE SS United States - at Pier 82, south of the museum still on the Delaware River. Rusting away. Viewable through a chain linked fence. Then contribute to its restoration - https://www.savetheunitedstates.org/)

But the best part of the visit was wandering through the USS Olympia and the USS Becuna. Olympia: Adm Dewey's flagship during the Battle of Manila Bay (1 May 1898) in the Spanish American War. Becuna: WWII submarine. Olympia was particularly interesting. Dewey's living quarters were luxurious - even with the two naval artillery pieces protruding through the room and hull.... A fun fun visit.

Visited May 2014
Manahawkin, New Jersey
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“USS Olympia and Seaport Museum excellent”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I am a military member so I love seeing American military history preserved. At Penn's Landing is the cruiser USS Olympia which defeated the Spanish fleet in the Philippines during the Spanish-American War. It is the oldest steel warship still afloat. The inside is so unique because of the time period, a mix of industrial steel, artistic brass and hand crafted wood. On some Saturdays there are re-enactors, the next time I go it will be when the living history crew is aboard. My daughter and I visited the ship and museum and had a great time. I've been aboard several ship museums (New Jersey, Alabama, N Carolina, Missouri) and Olympia is the most unique.

Visited June 2013