“Great option for us to explore something different”
Review of Zahav

Zahav
Reserve with OpenTable
Zahav is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 4,509 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Israeli
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Dock Street at Walnut (Between 2nd & 3rd)
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Being a Brit I'm not sure I've eaten at an Israeli restaurant - but after one too many philli cheesesteaks we were up for something different. For us zahav was exactly what we were looking for - the hummus kicked off our meal well, then we had a few sharing plates and a couple of the main dishes. We weren't really a fan of all the pickled items but found the food was high quality - especially the steak dish which was cooked to perfection and some of the best tasting steak I've had. Restaurant had great atmosphere and ambience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,316)

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We didn't have reservations so we waited for a pair of seats at at the bar. The food was delicious and very filling. Interesting tastes. Beautifully presented. Super delicious.

Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

A friend and I went here and shared the tasting menu. It was a great way to try many foods that were unfamiliar to me. The restaurant is very open with very friendly and attentive staff.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Hard to get a reservation because of the great reviews and popularity, but I was on the waiting list, and Zahav was nice enough to call the day of to tell us they had a 7:30 opening. Great!
Atmosphere was nice - open kitchen, high ceilings, golden "Jerusalem-looking-stone" walls.
We checked in, hostess was friendly. And we waited and waited. No one told us how much longer. At almost 8:00 we were seated, And again, waited and waited - just for someone to acknowledge us and give us a menu. When we finally did get service, everyone was very nice.
Daughter ordered a pomegranate sparkling wine, which was sweet and we both liked.
Decided on the tasting menu because it would give us many choices to try. It was waaay too much food for 2 women, but still a good value - $39pp for salads, hummus, several small plates, and 2 desserts.
So the food was not as good as I had hoped. The bread was good, but the hummus was "eh." I make better hummus. It had a nice consistency, but no taste. We added some lemon and it helped, but I wouldn't order it again. Must have been an off night, because other reviewers loved it. So quite disappointed. We enjoyed the 6 salatim (salads) - all were fresh tasting. We loved the cucumber salad (like "israeli salad"); the fennel was spicy; there were beets with tahini, tabbouleh with pomegranates and apple, string beans w/ tomato sauce, and our least favorite was the eggplant. Overall, I liked the salads and we agreed we'd order those again if we came back. The Cobia with string beans was different than I was expecting- it was good, but cold and tasted like the salads (I was thinking it would be a hot dish). Enjoyed the pastille (like spinach pie). Fried cauliflower was yummy. My daughter ordered the smoked sable dish, which was kind of like "toad in the hole" with smoked fish. She really liked it. The branzino was cooked and prepared nicely but we were rather stuffed by this time. Tried the duck hearts - daughter liked them better than I did, but I've never tried them before so have nothing to compare to.
Unfortunately I was really hoping for the baklava (after reading the reviews) but they didn't have that on the menu - so we ordered a couple desserts to go. I ordered the hazelnut-date rugelach. The leftovers are still sitting in the to go container on my counter 2 weeks later. So not a hit.
I did enjoy the atmosphere, I thought the service was good once they showed up, good value for what you get, and some of the dishes were very good. So worth trying, not amazing, and probably won't go back.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My daughter and I decided on Zahav after it won the best of Philly restaurants a few years back. This is an experience you won't forget. Think Middle Eastern Tapas and you are in the correct frame of mind, although the portion sizes are larger than what you would expect from a Tapas restaurant. Outstanding from the moment you are greeted through the end of the meal and beyond! The selections are all delicious, unique and plentiful. We loved this restaurant!