“So disappointed”

and up
Philadelphia Hop-On Hop-Off City Tour
Ranked #66 of 435 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: Home of the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Pennsylvania Ballet and the Philly Pops.
Winter Park, Florida
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“So disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

The Academy of Music is a famous venue in Philadelphia, so my husband I were looking forward to seeing the Nutcracker there - first time for both of us. It is beautiful from the outside and inside. Our seats were in the Family Circle, which sounded friendly and a good place to sit. Well, that was far from the truth. We took an elevator up to this level, and found our seats in Section H, Row E, seats 47-49. When we looked down at the stage, we could see may 1/3 of it. When more people took their seats, our vision area went down to maybe 1/8th of the stage. There were many families sitting here with small children- those tiny people could see even less than us. When we purchased these tickets, we chose seats that were not designated as "obstructed". So I was thinking that even though the seats were in the side sections, we would still see the stage. But that was not the case, and when we saw people leaving around us after about 30 minutes, we followed. It was a shame that we never saw the real meat of the production. No one questioned us- the ushers were lounging outside. I guess they were accustomed to seeing people departing. If you want to go to the Academy and really enjoy it, you would have to pay the big prices for you seats.

Visited December 2013

East Earl, Pennsylvania
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Historic Theater, great show, view from some seats difficult”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

My wife and I had season tickets last year and saw a number of shows. All of the performances were very good. The theater is very ornate, however as other people have mentioned in their reviews the seating situation leaves a lot to be desired. We have had seats in many different theaters and unfortunately the seating layout at the Academy of music is one of the most difficult to see the stage from in certain areas. In our area, which was more like the orchestra seating the seats are directly in front of one another, so if someone taller than you sits in the row in front of you, good luck in seeing the stage.

Visited April 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Flashdance Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

I have seen multiple shows here and I can always say that the productions here are exquisite. The management is well put together and the service is great. I highly recommend that people see shows here. The theater is BEAUTIFUL with a huge crystal chandelier. I saw Flashdance here last month and the production was incredible

Fairfax, Virginia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Stunningly Beautiful...but Problematic Seating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

We traveled from Washington DC to see "Beauty and the Beast" because we had a grand-nephew in the cast, one of the two young boys playing Chip. Obviously we thought the show was GREAT! But that's not the point of reviewing on Trip Advisor. It's the venue.

After experiencing the Kennedy Center Opera House and any number of Broadway theatres over the years I think I'd rate this one as one of the most beautiful I've ever seen, on a par with the great European opera houses. Turning around from our orchestra seat at intermission I was overwhelmed...not least by how high up there the top group of seats was. We'd paid top dollar for our seats in the seventh row or the orchestra and I was glad we did (though we couldn't see the beautiful stage floor until we got a backstage tour after the show), not just for a better view of our nephew but because the "cheap seats" (and some of them weren't all that cheap) were so high up there I think I might have become acrophobic! I might have even appreciated all those columns obstructing the view just to give me something to hang onto!

Since we never had any intention of purchasing anything but good orchestra seats, it really didn't matter, but I should note that the seating charts on the theatre's ticket site don't tell half the story of how many levels the seating rises above the orchestra (parquet) floor, and it hadn't occurred to me to Google on images. I guess that made my first impression of the theatre that much more overwhelming, and that's a good thing. But all those levels, and all those posts, and perhaps less leg room (though I don't really know that) make anything but orchestra seating problematic, That makes taking a family to a show like "Beauty and the Beast" a very expensive night out...and that's a shame for developing future theatre goers.

2 Thank Stratford64
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Do not sit in the amphitheater”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Beautiful surroundings, nice show(I mean after you see it at Hollywood studios in Orlando it's a bit of a let down). Ok our tickets were only $40.00 a piece to see a broadway show , Beauty and the Beast, Probably didn't help that we just left the restaurant stuffed like Christmas turkey's, we were one row away from having our heads hit the ceiling, hot up there too. Nice area though, thumbs up to render for creating the avenue of the arts in Philly! Good parking