“Acad. of Music”

$32.00*
City Sightseeing Philadelphia Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #71 of 457 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: Home of the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Pennsylvania Ballet and the Philly Pops.
Reviewed July 31, 2013

A great place to see a show. We just saw Wicked there and my graduate school granddaughter always enjoys the lovely ornate decor. A real opera house feeling. Folks there are always accomodating.

There are newer reviews for Academy of Music

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We just saw Wicked Sunday night , and it was fabulous! The music,scenery, and orchestra were wonderful. The staff at this venue try very hard to keep to the standards of The Academy set so long ago. However, I can not recall another time in recent history when I have seen so many appalling displays of poor judgement among patrons of the theater! This is still a "special occasion", no matter how many shows you see in a week, month , or year! We saw children and adults of every age seemingly dressed for a barbeque, shorts, flip flops, tank tops, etc.. The same number of people were in some sort of dire peril from the way they kept using their cellular devices throughout the entire performance! When we got up to leave after the show, I nearly reeled from the disgusting amount of trash thrown to the floor of this treasured venue! The final straw was when we observed a woman leaving the front row with what appeared to be some sort of vest, or other life support device...wrong.."it" was an infant, not more than a few weeks old ! In a carrier! at a musical! at night! Where do these sort of people come from?

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I've been going here for forever. The recently built Kimmel Center has wonderful acoustics also, and worth a visit; however, if you want to experience the wonderful architecture of an 1800's music hall that offers excellent acoustics, this is place. I recommend going to hear the Orchestra. The higher you are, the better the sound; and the cheapest tickets. The seating is close, so be prepared.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This theater has been around for so long that the outer areas of the building are actually lit by the original gas lamps. There is so much history within these walls there is no where near enough room here to explain. The decades have been good to her and she has seen some of the greatest performers who have ever lived, in every genre of entertainment. The warm, inviting atmosphere and the beauty of the carvings around the stage, truly make you want to arrive early, just to soak all of the ambiance in and enjoy its beauty. Find an event and go. There are many things at which to marvel, and every moment will be worth your time!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My g/f and I went to see Wicked this past weekend. While I enjoyed the show greatly (when not dodging my head around the pillar in my line of sight), I have to say I will probably never go back to the Academy of Music. The seating and seats are INSANELY uncomfortable. They are small and extremely close to the row in front and there is NO leg room. I am not tall by any means (5'8") and was not sitting here comfortably at all. Legs barely fit into the area between me and the row in front and was constantly fidgeting for two and half hours. Beautiful building, great architecture, but not planned well AT ALL for seating...

1  Thank tjmc1977