“History comes alive!”

Ranked #18 of 463 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Though it can no longer be rung, the bell remains a lasting American symbol of freedom.
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Seeing American history in action is a fun and educational experience for all ages!! I'd recommend everyone do this at least once in their adult lives when they will appreciate it. Probably won't be appreciated by anyone younger than 17 or 18 years old, but definitely should be mandatory for all school children learning about US history.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,689)

Reviewed October 10, 2012

The line can get long (to get through security), but it's worth the wait. Once you are inside it's not as bad.

We were able to get a lot of good photos.

An amazing piece of history.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I suppose I cannot be surprised, given the name of the place, but I did expect something more magic. I left the place with the feeling that this whole building is a bit much for just one little artifact.
I think it has probably to do with the fact that I was flanked by hordes of tourists and screaming children so I didn't feel like spending more time than necessary. For that reason I didn't spend any time reading the information about the bell (and there is not that much). Instead, I did like everybody else and went directly to the bell itself which is, well, just a bell. I did not get the expected sensation of being in the presence of something important.
Fortunately, this place is right next to the Independence Hall which is an ABSOLUTE must! If you plan on visiting the Independence Hall then it is worth taking the 15 minutes to swing by the bell as well.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Maybe all the hype about seeing this bell set me up to be disappointed. Basically you get herded around through the building behind slow, screaming children and their parents...and then you see the bell. There were gobs of silly people posing with it. I found it impossible to get a picture of JUST THE BELL, without having a handfull of dorky tourists in the picture as well. But the point is to see the bell, and it is reasonably easy to accomplish that as they have parking available and a clear layout to get you to the bell. The whole thing is probably more enjoyable if you try to get there early so you can avoid excess children and tourists.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We visited the site and it was great to be able to walk up and actually touch the original bell. I believe they ahve now erected what they call the 100 year bell in its place but the old one is housed in the museum and well worth a visit.