“A Little Gem in Downtown Philly”
Review of Bistro 7

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Market
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I know, the term "gem" is overused, but this little place on 3rd street has great food, well prepared. The menu changes often, but if you like the style you see in their on-line post, chances are you will like what they have on the day you visit. Coming in from the west coast, booking this small downtown restaurant was a long shot. But sometimes long shots do pay off.
Three of us dined together and we all enjoyed sharing. There was a lovely gazpacho with tomato sorbet that I absolutely loved, and I do not normally enjoy any cold soup. There was a gnocchi to die for on the appetizer menu. The scallops were perfectly prepared and delicious. I ordered and enjoyed chicken (which I seldom order) with lavender, honey and herbs.
Heads up, you need to bring your own wine, no license yet, but there is a shop that sells local vineyards right around the corner on Market Street.
Finally, the desserts were terrific. I had the cocoanut rice pudding and it just made my day!
We were on the road for over a week, and this is the best meal and the best prepared meal we had on the whole trip.
The menu is limited, you have to bring your own drinks, but if you have an evening free in Philly, skip the cheesesteak and head over to Bistro 7.

There are newer reviews for Bistro 7

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Seating is limited in this restaurant making for an intimate feeling. This restaurant was chosen by a business colleague. It was a great spot to have conversations, noise from the other diners was minimal. It is a BYOB experience so my colleague brought a few bottles of wine to share as did it appeared all the other diners there. The food was excellent. We were there during restaurant week so had the opportunity to have several courses, all of which were great. I would definitely return to this restaurant the next time I'm in Philly.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

In a small townhouse with 8 or 9 tables is housed a Philadelphia BYOB featuring classical French cooking using market fresh ingredients. In the open kitchen chef/owner Michael O'Halloran does all the cooking with help by one prep person. Each dish comes out delicious and freshly prepared. The fresh foie grass sautéed to a creamy consistency comes with house made melting marshmallow coated in cocoa powder. The short ribs melted in the mouth. The Philadelphia tradition of restaurants which highlight the cooking and not a bar is refreshing and ought be copied more widely. We were able to bring a nice pinot noir from our own cellar to enjoy the refined cooking of Bistro 7 for an evening that was just right.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We made a last minute reservation here after scouting Tripadvisor reviews as we are Arden subscribers. The restaurant is small, but intimate and we were seated at a table by the front window. I had the butternut squash gnocci appetizer in a brown butter sauce which I thoroughly enjoyed. Spouse had the mixed green salad. For dinner I chose the salmon entree with cassoulet beans; spouse had the beef short ribs. Everything was beautifully presented and the flavors were wonderful. I would say that the portions are smaller and we did order a dessert since we "still had room". By the time we left, the dining area was filled and by the conversation of our fellow diners, appeared they were regulars and were chatting with the chef. It is a BYOB which keeps the cost more in line. Waiter was efficient and also found out we had Arden tickes and took 10% off. Go - you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

On an apparently unusually quiet Friday on a lead in to Restaurant week, we shared the restaurant with only one other couple. Maybe because of this, service was a little hit and miss. There also was no air conditioning so we sat next to the open door. However, the food made up for everything. My husband had the gnocchi appetizer and scallops as main course with a peach and blueberry crisp for desert. He loved all of it. I had a cold red and yellow beet terrine, the beef calotte and chocolate mousse. The terrine was very refreshing, the beef perfectly done with an interesting potato and goat cheese pave. As we knew it was a BYOB restaurant, we took one of our favourite wines to enjoy with dinner.