“Wonderful King Tut Weekend!!!”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #55 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed July 15, 2007

I was a bit skeptical after reading the reviews, but our family had a wonderful experience with this hotel! We did the King Tut VIP weekend package. (Totally worth it! Did not have to spend any time in lines at Franklin Institute) My family of four and my in-laws arrived at 10:00am. The front desk gals were very friendly and accommodating. They had both our rooms adjoining and ready for early check-in! We were on the 16th floor with a wonderful view of B. Franklin parkway! We were given our Tut tickets, additional info and "gummy mummies" for the kids. Our rooms were updated and clean, beds and pillows were very comfortable! The concierge desk was a great help. Gave us lots of info about transportation, etc... The pool was clean and nice but a bit deep for our 5 and 6 yr. old children. Gym was great, lots of machines and tv's! Phillips seafood restaurant was excellent! Pricey.... but worth it! Especially the crab cakes! YUM! Our only complaint was the price of breakfast at the hotel restaurant "TheTerrace". $17 for the buffet!!! And $4.75 for the bottle of water in your room if you decide you are thirsty!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank jj48
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

Reviewed June 24, 2007

I didn't like this hotel at all. Starting with the check-in staff, there was no greeting, smile, anything. (I later found that the Check-in Girl didn't even enter my SPG membership). My room key stopped working one day, and there wasn't even an apology for the inconvenience. In fact, it seemed I was inconveniencing the staff to have to make her reprogram my key.

The room was old and bathroom was dated. It definitely needs some freshening up.

Location is also lousy- It's close to the Franklin Institue and the Purple tourist trolley, but not much else. There aren't any restaurants in the area. I'd recommend staying closer to Chestnut street, which is more lively with restaurants or stay close to the Reading Market Terminal area. Good thing is it's a few blocks to the subway, so getting to the tourish sites (Indep Hall, Lib Bell, etc) is easy.

• Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank mmyk72
Reviewed June 8, 2007

I stayed here while attending a conference and had no major problems. The only problem was that the front desk refused to use the credit card that was used to reserve the room (they wanted a physical card) so we had to have an authorization faxed over.

The hotel was somewhat off the beaten path for restaurants and I didn't feel comfortable walking alone after dark by myself, but if you're willing to walk a few blocks there are plenty of food options. I like to explore a city by walking, so I found it pretty easy to see the major downtown sites (about 20-25 min walk to liberty bell area). Hotel is very close to Franklin Institute and Art Museums.

The fitness facilites were fine, with newer machines, although there was a wait for the treadmills in the morning (there are 4 of them).

The dinner buffet at the terrace restaurant was pretty good, no complaints there.

Some of the elevators were nauseating and jerky.

The gift shop was overpriced but open late (there are plenty of CVS/Walgreens nearby though).

One time the housekeeper tried to walk right into my room to deliver more towels without knocking, but I had the security latch on.

When I first got into the room the thermostat was set to 60 and the room was frigid. The only way to keep the air conditioning from coming on was to set it over 71.

My room was very quiet despite being the closest to the elevators. Overall a pleasant experience and would recommend this hotel if you could get a deal (I think we probably paid way too much).

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank laduderina
Reviewed May 15, 2007

Basically cornered into staying at this hotel due to a business meeting, it wasn't quite as bad as anticipated -- but I would not stay there by choice as there are many other -- and less expensive -- options.

Nutshell: they are really trying, but need to pay attention to the finer details and keep staff informed & cordial to have the experience equal to the cost of a room.

Longwinded version: While the renovations have somewhat refreshed the rooms (and the new beds really ARE comfy), an air of dinginess & neglect still comes through. For example, there is a windowed seating area near the elevators on the sleeping room floor where my room was and there was trash there for the 2-1/2 days I stayed -- housekeeping obviously does not go near the windows or they would have seen the empty snack bags and crumbs. My floor was noisy as it seems there were a couple of rooms of high schoolers down the hall (weeknight!) who went up & down the halls and slammed doors at all hours. Also, about 9:30 PM on Sunday, there was all kinds of noise (seems they were doing some upkeep and sound traveled throughout the building -- why non-emergency maintenance at that time, who knows).

Upon arrival, 2 room lamps & 1 lamp in the bathroom did not work. I managed to fix the desk lamp; by the next day (without asking -- thank you housekeeping!) the bathroom light was fixed. The floor lamp, however, had a loose socket, no bulb (and it was still plugged into the wall). And it was good the bathroom light was fixed -- close the shower curtain and feel like you're bathing in a cave it's so dark!

Room service took longer than expected (over an hour for a club sandwich) but food was good (extra charges added on were ridiculous -- just make the sandwich $15 bucks & call it a day!) and kitchen called up to make sure everything was all right.

The Front Desk people were quite pleasant but need to be more informed about the area, including their parking garage (which is really a public garage for the nearby offices).

Concierge was 50-50 -- one staffer was insolent and it seemed as though people bothered him; another staffer went above and beyond in providing information.

Stayed: May 2007
4  Thank kdonnh
Reviewed April 28, 2007

We went priceline for our visit to Philadelphia, and ended up with the Sheraton in center city. Surprisingly, the staff was great, and the room was clean. Sometimes, downtown Phillie has the rep of being dirty and unfriendly. The Sheraton was great. The beds were comfortable and a great location. We were sight seeing and going to the Phillies game. The Sheraton has easy access to downtown Philadelphia, as well as highways 676 and I-95. I would not recommend the hotel's breakfast. It cost two of us $35 for dried out french toast. The next day, the staff recommended Yanny's, which is on Cherry, just two blocks from the hotel. Yanny's gives you a traditional Philadelphia breakfast that is quick and at a great price.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank Mark C
Reviewed April 19, 2007

Stayed here 4/14/07 to 4/18/07 while husband was attending APA conference at the PA Convention Center.

Check in on 4/14 was smooth. Arrived at 2:45 p.m. and advised King non-smoking was not ready, but if we waited 10-15 minutes, we could be accomodated. Sat near the counter and at 3 p.m., we were checked into a King non-smoking room.

We were on the 22nd floor, room 2218. The room was clean. It was spacious. The bed was comparable to other Sheratons. The room appeared recently remodeled and the furniture was in good shape. As mentioned by others the $900 Herman Miller Aeron chair is an excellant touch. I think my husband would have taken that chair home with him if he could have fit it in his suitcase!

We found the hotel employees to be extremely friendly and helpful. The concierge employees were particularly nice and went out of their way to offer assistance. The maids were also fine. Our room was cleaned each day and restocked with amenities, clean glasses, towels, etc. Oddly, we also were never given a 2nd roll of toilet paper, but fortunately we did not need it.

We did not use the facilities, but I did go take a look at the gym & pool. The hotel has 8-10 treadmills/trainers, etc. with televisions. There is also a racquetball court and room with weights. The pool is bigger than a lap pool, but small. It's 4.5 feet deep with three "lanes." The max number allowed is 15. There were also changing rooms, but I did not look at them.

We ate at the Terrace restaurant. The prices are comparable to what you'd expect at a hotel. $13 for a 1/2 pound bacon cheeseburger & fries. I had the onion soup ($6) and a BBQ chicken quesadilla ($9) - both were absolutely delicious.

We also used the SPG club on the 22nd floor. At breakfast, coffee, a cappucino/latte machine, juices, milk, soda, water were available, as well as bread, bagels, pastries, fruit, cereal, etc. as well as oatmeal. We did stop by the evening reception with the usual hor'deurves, including hot ones, and a honor bar for alcohol. The hostess was very nice and just asked you sign in with your gold or platinum status.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Jenni5791
Reviewed April 15, 2007

We stayed at the Sheraton during our recent visit to Philadelphia. It was fine for the money, however they really need to improve their housekeeping skills. The housekeeper did not leave an extral roll of toilet paper, and the roll was almost empty when we left for the day. Also, they didn't leave any face cloths. Housekeeping took awhile to respond, but to their credit the hotel was very busy with a conference. Overall it was fine. I would stay there again. Their restaurant is very pricey, and not worth the money.

Stayed: April 2007