“Murphy's Law was ruling!”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #57 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed April 1, 2007

Stayed at this location for four days for business. We checked into our room and unpacked our things, and went to iron some clothes to wear for the evening. As I unfolded the ironing board, a roach crawled out from the underside of it. We called down to the front desk and they said they would send a bellman up to move us. He arrived at our door, handed us the key to our new room, and left.

Our new room was two floors up. That night about 10:30PM we went to bed - but didn't get to sleep until after 1AM because there was a construction crew working on refurbshing the rooms directly above our heads until 1AM. We finally called the front desk at 12:30PM and that is what finally made the noise stop. The noise from the construction resumed at 6AM.

For either incident, there were no apologies.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank fiddldd3
Write a ReviewReviews (2,772)

Reviewed March 16, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for a conference and was quite nicely surprised. I was expecting something awful, based on some of the reviews, but have no serious complaints. In fact, it was quite nice. This is an older property that has evidently undergone some renovations. My room was large and very comfortable, on a high floor with a beautiful view overlooking the dome of the church next door. The room was obviously redecorated in the last several months. Everything looked fairly new from top to bottom. The bed was quite comfortable and all the furnishings were contemporary and nicer than I'd have expected from a Sheraton. The Aeron chair at the desk was a nice touch, too. Staff was courteous and helpful, and didn't think twice about giving me an extra-late check out when I requested it, since I was leaving on an evening flight. My only criticism is that the hot water in the shower didn't get very hot at peak showering time, around 7:30 am. It wasn't cold, but just wasn't hot enough to be totally comfortable. When I showered later in the day, there was no problem.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank RickyAz
Reviewed March 9, 2007

This was an unexpected stay for my husband and I. The room was perfect, view was awesome, bed was the most comfortable we've had at a hotel, and to top the front desk, super!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rooney6
Reviewed March 3, 2007

We stayed for one night only. The hotel is located in an excellent, walking distance location for visits to many museums on or near The Parkway (Franklin Institute, Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia Museum of Art, etc.). It would be a hefty walk through the city streets to the colonial historical sights around the 5th & Market area, however you are just a few block walk to a few methods of public transportation that will take you to any point of Philadelphia.
I certainly don't want to discount some of the earlier, negative postings on this site and can only relay my experience for the 24 hours that we stayed on the Starwood Preferred Floor - Club Level Room (we used points). The room was very clean and possibly newly renovated. Great 26th floor view of The Parkway, Art Museum, etc. Common areas such as hallways, lobby, pool area, fitness center, etc. seemed to be clean, beautiful and in no need of repair. We did not eat within the hotel so I can't comment. The self-parking garage costs us $22 for our overnight stay. I've seen earlier negative postings on this but you have to remember that you are in the center city area and this type of price is typical for downtown Philadelphia (if you've ever had to park in Manhatton, you know parking rates can be a lot worse).
In conclusion, over the years we've been to a a small handful of better hotels but many, many worse. In looking at what the rates were at the time of our visit to this Sheraton, we would consider it a solid value in the above average to excellent range.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ricmiclab
Reviewed January 29, 2007

I have to say I was slightly worried about what my experience would be like after having read multiple negative reviews. I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and had no problems at all. It looked like a large convention had just ended, with a ton of people waiting in the lobby after having checked out. Despite their apparent busyness, I checked in immediately (at around 2pm), and was able to go directly to my room. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The service I received was 100% professional. Also, I was able to get a cab in less than 2 minutes each time I needed one.

I cannot comment on the surrounding area, since I was in Philly for an interview, so did not spend any time exploring or sightseeing. I did take a cab to the area with lots of restaurants (sorry, don't know the neighborhood), and it took only about 5-10 minutes to get there.

So, I am assuming that the Sheraton has shaped up after getting so many negative reviews (either that or I lucked out).

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank DBSF
Reviewed January 18, 2007

Stayed here for a conference in Dec. through New Year's Eve. The hotel was perfectly fine, although we were only paying about $110/night. For that price, this hotel is great! For a lot more than that, it might not be worth it.
Although this hotel is a bit out of the way, if you can get a deal it's definitely a good option, as the Terminal Market and conference/tourist restaurant district are a short walk.
The room could have been cleaner, but the housekeeping staff was very responsive to requests, and it was by no means unsatisfactory.
I think this hotel is perfectly fine, especially if you can get a deal. Other reviewers may have paid more, which would have made me cranky, too. Didn't have much interaction with the front desk, although the concierge was helpful and knowledgeable.

Stayed: December 2006
3  Thank Travels_too_muchUtah
Reviewed December 18, 2006

We came to Philadelphia on a family vacation. It was our first time to the area and we were hoping for a good location. We found our great location at this hotel! We visited several local museums that catered to adults and children within walking distance from the hotel including the Rocky Statue, which our children were dying to see. Also they made it easy to get guided city tours, and gave wonderful recommendations on things to do and see in the city. The hotel was very clean and the staff was very friendly. The hotel has spacious rooms, to accommodate a family. We can't wait to return to Philadelphia and the Sheraton!

Stayed: December 2006