“Fourth of July 2010”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #55 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed July 6, 2010

My husband and I, along with my parents and my sister and her family all decided to meet in Philadelphia as a central location for the Fourth of July. My sister chose to stay at the Sheraton Philadelphia Center Hotel. Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed.
First, after originally booking my hotel stay online (about a month in advance), I called the hotel personally to see if my family’s rooms could be next to one another. The receptionist assured me that this would not be a problem, and she would be happy to accommodate me. I didn’t worry about it again.
However, when I arrived, it was a different story. We reached the hotel around 1 p.m., which is early, as check-in is 3 p.m. I went to the desk to ask about parking and to confirm that our rooms would be next to one another. The man at the desk told me he had no record indicating that we had made this request, but would place a note in the database and said he would make sure this happened. No one was able to check in at 1 p.m. because none of the rooms had been cleaned.
We went out to lunch and returned around 4 p.m. for what we presumed would be a quick check-in. Unfortunately, there was a line that wrapped around the lobby, and we waited for the next hour and a half to reach the front desk. (This was especially challenging for those families with small children- the only positive things I can say is that some men who worked at the hotel came around with bottled water for the many people who were waiting in line)
My husband and parent's checked in, but my brother-in-law was told that his room was not available (at 5:30!) and he had the choice to either take a room on another floor or wait until they were finished cleaning. He ended up waiting and was placed on the opposite end of the floor. This made things difficult, as they have a teenager and a young child, and we were not able to fluidly move back and forth between family members.
When my husband and I finally made it into our room, there was a wet, dirty wash cloth waiting for us on the floor when we entered. I left it outside the room on the floor, and it was still there the next morning.
I had stayed at the Palomar Hotel the night before (Loved it- although the bed’s aren’t the most comfortable), and the stark difference between the two hotels was shocking. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend the Sheraton, at least the Sheraton Philadelphia City Center Hotel. If they had known they were going to have this many people staying at their hotel on this holiday weekend, they should have either brought more staff in to work or not booked so many people at their hotel.

3  Thank BalindaC

Reviewed July 6, 2010

Stayed there over a very hot 4th of July 2010, and it was fine. The room a/c was quiet and plenty cold, and it was 96 outside and we had a west facing room! Checkin was quick and easy, the concierge helpful, no complaints with our stay. Paid $99 plus about $15 in taxes, for the one night (holiday rate I'm sure).
The parking is high, $38 per 24 hrs, but you can park across the street for much less. Pull through the drop off lobby area, drive out the other side, you are looking at the large public parking garage. If out by 9 a.m, on a weekend only $5, and that's all I paid.
This hotel was convenient to the many 4th of July festivities at the Art museum. A cab ride to Independence Hall was only $6.50 plus a tip. It was too hot to walk.
Beds were comfortable, tv worked fine, easy to get back on the interstate to leave, we didn't try the restaurants.

Reviewed July 5, 2010

We stayed at the Center City Sheraton for 2 nights over the 4th of July w/e. As requested, our 19th floor room had a A++ view of the BenFranklin Parkway, Art Museum and WaWa Welcome America festival and fireworks. Our room was clean and functional. So we had somewhere to take a break in from the heat. We reserved the room only a week or so in advance but still got a very good rate. It appears that the Sheraton business model (the pattern) is to give you a good deal on the rate but then gouge you for everything else. (in St. Louis, they wanted $22 for a pitcher of milk). In CC Philly they charge $38 a day for parking on the weekend when with a little research, you could park literally across the street for $5. Wifi or internet access in your room? Charged. And just when we thought we’ve seen eveything, here’s a new one. They don’t carry children’s tv programming on regular channels!! That’s right, no Disney, No Nick, Nada. If you want to distract the kiddies for a few minutes to catch a break, you guessed it, you’re charged to watch an on-demand kiddie tv show. The breakfast buffet was fresh and had a pretty good selection but a little pricey at $30 for 1 adult and a 7 yo. I do understand they need to make it up somewhere. Just be aware and plan accordingly.
The hotel for the most part is big and clean and conveniently located. However, we spent quite some time at the small pool (with the 7 yo). The gym room and equipment were nice and new. However, there was a very big, neglected “outside the pool area” in-between that had ancient astroturf or indoor/outdoor carpet that had weeds growing through it. The whole area looked like it has potential but its been completely forgotten about. The inside pool area was also pretty neglected. The lounge chairs were broken, the glass roof panels desperately need to be replaced or at least cleaned.
The pool was completely packed, but hey it was the holiday w/e. Clientel was equally scary. Wal-Mart must have been empty. One couple arguing in the elevator, one guy with Dickey Roberts facial hair picking the zits on his legs right at the pool, his girlfriend had ten, yes, ten pool towels stacked next to and around her while others were trying to figure out where to find towels.
Above it all it was a pretty descent stay, we had great views and a nice clean place to rest but if you don’t watch you’ll go home a lot lighter in your wallet. Again, be aware of it and plan accordingly.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2010

My family and I stayed at this hotel for the July 4th holiday. We live in Pa so we could have driven home. We should have. This hotel is staffed by some of the rudest people in PA. From my daughter being kicked out of the pool due to an unrevealed "problem" by the most ignorant hotel security person I've ever encountered she even locked me out of the hotel on the roof balcony. If it wasn't for my daughter I might have spent the night on the hotel roof. This security person spent more time walking around the hotel trying to make people's stays as unpleasant as possible, in between texting, and should be fired immediately. When I called the front desk to complain, that person was extra rude as well. At check-in our room was not clean and had dirty towels lying in the bathroom and the room was not cleaned the entire stay. The bed linens were dirty and smelly with cigarette burns in them plus the room had a 1987 t.v. in it which is on the verge of dying. This hotel had dirty entry doors, overflowing trash cans everywhere in the building and outside around the perimeter of the hotel and wanted $38. for overnight parking. Our room was mostly warm as the air conditioner was not very reliable and after a day of sightseeing on foot in center city this was not comfortable to return to. The owner needs to fire everyone there and start fresh with a staff willing to work to make the hotel what it should be: clean and welcoming with excellent customer service. We will never stay at that hotel from hell again!

2  Thank travelleogirl
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Due to a large convention of Barbershop Quartet Singers (yeah, really) who checked out late, the cleaning of the rooms was delayed. There were literally 200 people standing in line waiting to be checked in. After they cut into our check in time by 1 1/2 hours, my husband stood in line. They called our cell when our room was ready. He also asked if they would comp our breakfast for the next morning. They did. The breakfast was a wonderful $17 buffet breakfast. The staff was extremely friendly and was dealing with a situation that was beyond their control. The room was spotless with a great view of the Parkway. Great location to see the free concert and fireworks. I would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I was in Philadelphia for the arts and jazz festival. I chose this hotel because I wanted to take a trip downtown to see the sites. This experience was better than I expected. I absolutely loved it! I would not change anything about this hotel. The room w/ the King size bed was huge. The bathroom was beautiful. The staff, hotel cleaning ladies, and the diner and restaurant located in the hotel provided me with (A+) service!

I will defintely return thius to hotel the next time I am in Philadelphia! If you want the Waldorf Astoria treatment at the Sheraton. This is the place to stay....

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Now using the term dump may seem strong. Well the rooms themselves were nice. But the hotel in general is in need of cleaning and maintenance. For example: The entry doors are hard to open and slam shut, the brass on the doors is corroded. The butt cans outside were overflowing. The men's room although generally clean lack fine cleaning in the corners, wall coverings loose, paper towel dispenser inoperative. The sofas in the lobby are torn. Overall the hotel is just worn and beat up. It used to be the Wyndam which was a delux hotel. Now it's just a run of the mill hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple