“They tried but failed”

Ranked #51 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Austin
“They tried but failed”
Reviewed September 19, 2006

Pros: Bed was comfortable; central location.
Cons: Non smoking room smelled of cigarettes. Carpet needs replacing in the room. Service left a bad taste in my mouth. Some tried, but failed to do right by the customer, most just didn’t care, everyone left me wondering “who hired these people?” The $20 breakfast buffet was much lower quality than most free breakfasts I’ve had. Overall I was disappointed with my stay.

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay on upper levels for a great view
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank Zack-Austin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
cambridge
Reviewed September 18, 2006

The worst hotel I have stayed in in years. Dirty. Terrible service from an inexperienced, unprofessional staff, rude...you name it. When I arrived my FIRST two rooms were occupied and/or had not been cleaned. My final room (they tried to get me to stay in a smoking room) still had used soap and shampoo in the shower. The sheets had holes in them. The Internet access never worked and clearly no one cared, despite multiple calls. I had to use the loading dock and got to see the kitchen. Horrors. Food on the floor, filth. Sheraton should shut this place down and clean house. Literally.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
15 Thank jb54

Travelers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed September 17, 2006

I called this hotel for a night in July, 06 at the govt. rate. Upon arrival, they had no record of my reservation, even though I had the number, and the name of the person who I spoke with. They were able to secure a room, but it took arguing to be given the govt rate.

The room was dirty, there were hairs on the bathroom floor (the kind you don't want to see), and the desk agents were rude.

The real fun began when I checked my credit card statement a week later. I saw that I had been billed for the same room twice. I called the hotel immediatley, and was told it would be taken care of and credited in a few days. That did not happen. I called again, asking for a manager- was given voice mail, but never received a call back. I also clicked on the Contact Us link on the homepage, and emailed, explaining the situation. I got a reply, saying the hotel would contact me within 3 days. They never did. It is now 50 days since I stayed, and I still have no credit for the double billing.

I am also a SPG Gold card member, which didn't seem to matter to them.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
14 Thank NavTrav
Bethlehem PA
Reviewed September 15, 2006

This was the first and last time I will ever stay at this "hotel." The room was non-smoking but reeked of cigarettes.. There was a hole in the bathroom ceiling where the fan had been. Two of the pillow cases had dirt on them. Internet access was $10 extra. Room service charges $12 for bagel, juice, and coffee. Water at the vending machine was $2 a bottle. I went to the front desk and asked for change for the vending machine and the rude clerk laughed at me and said with a smile "Sir, that I cannot do." When I asked how I could buy a $2 bottle of water without change he replied "That I do not know" with another smile. The loitering kitchen employee hanging out with him at the desk laughed! A security guard heard our exchange and offered to get me two bottles of water and apologized but the damage was done. I cannot believe a $220 a night hotel has less service than a $30 roach motel. DO NOT STAY THERE!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Service
  • Tips/Secrets — Go elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
15 Thank traveller1112
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 13, 2006

Yearly, we have a group of about 40 people who stay at this hotel and this year it was terrible. This was the first time we have stayed here since it has been the Sheraton. Several people in our group (as well as other hotel guests) were given keys to rooms that were already occupied. Almost all of the rooms smelled like they had just recently been switched from smoking to non-smoking rooms. Several of the rooms had leaky A/C units, so the carpets were wet in the area around them. One person had a leaky ceiling in their bathroom. Another person in our group got stuck in the elevator between the garage and the hotel and had to pry the door open and jump down while it was stuck between levels. There were frequently no extra towels or washcloths available from the front desk. My room was missing a desk chair and clock. In all, the accommodations were very poor and we don't intend on staying here again.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
14 Thank w0rm
New York City
Reviewed September 3, 2006

I won a room at the Sheraton through Priceline for $90, and just came back from a trip there.
Let me first tell you the positives:
The room had a beautiful view
The beds were comfortable

The negatives:
The employees have attitudes
The room smelled very musty and weird
The tub lever broke off...
The pool is a joke! It is ICE cold..freezing, not to mention that pool area temperature is freezing as well. So swimming was not an option.
The location was very bad..atleast for me. If you are a tourist, or going sightseeing, dont stay here. Also we walked up the block and there were a bunch of homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk....
SO..in conclusion, I would NOT return to the Sheraton. I believe there are WAY better options in Philly.
Take care!!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
14 Thank lycheemojito
Garner, North Carolina
Reviewed August 16, 2006

I stayed at the Sheraton City Center Hotel in Philly recently, and I must say the hotel itself was great. The lobby was a beautiful three story atrium, decorated with flowers and finished with a twenty foot tall old english grandfather clock. In the lobby there was two restaurants (Shula's steakhouse, Terrace restaurant), and there was also a lounge area where liquor was served. The line was outrageously long at check-in, I waited 45 minutes just to get a room key! The elevators were super fast, which was good because the hotel is 26 stories high.

Once we get up to our room, we discover it is already occupied and we had to go back down to get another room key. The desk clerk was very apologetic, but very young and unprofessional. Finally, we get a vacant room. The hallways were run down and bland. The walls were scuffed up and the carpets were stained and dirty. The room however, was totally different. It was very comfortable and luxuriously appointed. I loved having a high-up view of Philadelphia, however it would have been better if we were on the side of the hotel facing the skyline.

The room had two double beds, a sofa w/ coffee table, a TV, a desk, a plush chair and a micro-fridge. I loved the decor and layout. The closet was very spacious, but the door was so hard to open and close we just left it open the entire stay. The bathroom was clearly remodeled and was finished with a curved shower rod, marble walls and a granite countertop. The maids didn't do a great job, the room was a bit dusty and they only left us one soap and shampoo. The beds were comfortable, but one night while I was reading in bed I noticed the electrical outlet behind the nightstand was completely ripped out, leaving wires hanging out of the wall. I reported this to the front desk and they pretty much couldn't have cared less. Well, when the hotel burns down because of a broken electrical outlet, don't say I didn't warn them!

A breakfast buffet is served in the Terrace restaurant every morning. The service is extremely slow and the food was just OK (not worth the outrageous $17!) Parking was outrageously expensive too, at $25 per night, per parking spot. The ceilings were so low a midget would have to duck, and there wasn't enough parking for the whole hotel.

Overall, I would return but they should really send their staff back to hospitality school so they can learn how to treat customers and clean rooms. They also really should lower the prices of breakfast and parking!

15 Thank delmarvaFAN