“Not worth the price”

Ranked #52 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
New York City, New York
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed May 19, 2006

Wyndham is now Sheraton hotel, I I stayed for a 3 day conference and paid 175/night.

Pros: convenient,spacious rooms, nice lobby, courteous staff,convenient location
Cons: Breakfast is expenbsive and not good at all -$17.00, $9.95 per day room internet access . The connection is slow. You can use kiosk on mezzanine level but you have to stand whole time on small space , furniture knobs are broken. There was barely toilet paper left when I came in. The facial tissue was moist and must have sip through the counter from previous guest. Hair Dryer fell off the wall. Speaker phone constantly disconnect.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
17 Thank jjtrip11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
NY
Reviewed May 13, 2006

I stayed at the Wyndham-Philly for 3 nights. The lobby is fabulous the bar/lounge is cool (beware of the cigarette smoke) check-in was smooth and they were helpful and courteous. Now the rooms: Nice size. I received an EXCELLENT RATE; however, it should not have come at the expense of untidy housekeeping. Trash was emptied everyday, but the table where I had eaten still had crumbs from my meal after hskpg's visit. Two bulbs in room needed replacing (maintence arrived very quickly and handled the job, but c'mon at last cleaning this should have been spotted and replaced).

Bathroom was quickly cleaned as items (toothpaste, brush, etc.) remained they way I placed them so clearly a thorough wipe down was missed. Walls are PAPER thin. Clearly heard voices, but not exact words from the neighbors. Good thing they had children in there room or I may have been in for a long night, if you know what I mean.

Overall...room was good for the money ($69/night), but housekeeping needs grave improvment. Do a solid mental prep before your stay.

Stayed April 2006
16 Thank queendomcome

Travelers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Milwaukee WI
Reviewed May 4, 2006

I stayed at the Wyndham Franklin Plaza for a business meeting. Philly is my home town and I had always considered this a finer hotel. First off, the front desk staff was incredibly nice - its hardly their fault the place is so down at the heels.

My room had been slept in already when I opened the door (it was 11 pm local time). I really think that hotel staff was sleeping in this room because they thought nobody was coming to claim it. A tad creepy. That was settled after a phone call including request for soap and shampoo (this was mentioned by another reviewer). The room was huge although I must say the carpet was really in need of a scrub. The place was super quiet and I liked that. There wasn't another hotel room in the city so I stayed there until my relatives would take me at their place.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
11 Thank LordKelvin
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed May 2, 2006

This hotel is extremely convenient for me when I go to Philadelphia on business, but due to so many different problems I simply cannot stay there any longer. I'd try, Four Seasons, Sofitel, Marriott, Westin. I've stayed at al of them plus a few others and they rate much better than Wyndham. For some reason they just can't seem to get it together here.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
12 Thank Redbud
Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
Reviewed April 22, 2006

Stayed at the Wyndham for my girlfriend's birthday.

Many of the other reviews on this hotel talk about how threadbare/ratty it is. I just didn't see that at all. Got a room with a king bed and an absolutely amazing view of all of Philly for less than $100/night. (Web rate) Thanks to my free Wyndham ByRequest membership, there was a bottle of wine, a small wheel of Gouda and two bottles of water waiting for us as a welcome snack. The room and the hotel were spotless.

Only a couple minor words of warning - friends tried to book a room a few days after we did, only to find that the web rate had doubled, from $99/night to $190/night.

Room service was prompt, and the service was friendly, but the food was very underwhelming. We ordered breakfast - pancakes with sausage and a plate of scrambled eggs. Recommendation: leave the hotel.

The parking garage below the hotel, though convenient, charged $25/night with hotel validation. I don't know philly all that well, but there had to be a cheaper option.

Overall, a great value, and highly recommended (especially if you're a Wyndham ByRequest member)

6 Thank brooklahn
Ipswich, MA
Reviewed April 21, 2006

If I had paid full fare to stay at the Wyndham, I'd be a bit disappointed. But I didn't, and this was probably the best value of any hotel I have ever stayed in. The room was fine, the marble bathroom seemed a cut above, parking in the basement was convenient ($25/day), the location was fabulous because of easy access to Center City and I686 and all six elevators were always online, meaning you never had to wait more than a few seconds. Be sure to request a west-facing room. The view is superb, especially at sunset and night. East facing rooms look into the back of Smith Kline Glaxo building. "Fitness" facilities were kind of crummy, the desk staff was incompetent (but pleasant), housekeeping was not quite attentive enough, and yes, the hallways are ugly and not well kept either. But hey, you don't sleeping the hall or the weight room, right?

9 Thank pbcello
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 16, 2006

I have stayed at the Wyndham before, but this trip was disappointing. The hotel had grown a little shabby since my last visit in 2002. When I first walked into the room, I noticed that the carpet had not been vacuumed, and that the bed's dust ruffle was torn, and hanging down. The pool area was not inviting - there weren't nearly enough chairs for all of the families there, forcing some folks to stand while their children were swimming. And the water in the pool was cold. The worst thing was that a food tray used by the previous occupants of our room was left outside the door for 6 hours after we checked in - until I called to ask the staff to remove it. The place just didn't seem very clean. It is a convenient location - you can walk to many great museums, but luxurious it is not.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member