“hotel was VERY dirty!!”

Ranked #50 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
earlville, ny
“hotel was VERY dirty!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2006

we stayed here fro 2 nites unable to cancel for 2nd nite due to "prepay" bargain price. room was dirty..food in fridge..qtips on floor..GUM stuck to wall. pool was utterly unacceptable. no hot tub, although current AAA book sates there is? hmm? noise in hall at 3 am was unbelievable. coffee pot filthy! maid who re-cleaned our room very pleasant and aplogetic but when you check in and want to rest before dinner this is impossible when your room is being cleaned. Never would recommend.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
7 Thank lorri p

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2006

I nve actually stayed at the hotel. I did make a reservation which I cancelled due to plans to go to Atlantic city instead. I was later billed by the hotel for the room and was told that someone had in fact stayed at the hotel in my room under my name and charged it to my credit card. Hmmm, who would have my name , credit card # and exp. date except for a hotel employee? I have tried to settle this w/ the hotel but have been ignored and my credit card company is in the process of disputing the charge. WARNING: there are obviously some scam artists working here- be careful!

• Stayed October 2005
10 Thank Jeannette R

Travelers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Eynon, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2006

I stayed here for one night in early January '06, having booked via Hotwire and received a very good rate. They seem to have rooms on Hotwire fairly frequently; comes up there as a 3.5 star in west Center City, which is close enough. (The location is two blocks northwest of City Hall, very close to the main science museums, the children's museum, and the Free Library; the art museum is only slightly farther off.) I had an 18th floor room; it was clean and everything worked, though it was slightly short on toilet paper (this turned out not to be an issue, fortunately) and I had to scrounge coffee from a maid to use the coffee maker. I didn't use the fitness center equipment (though there was plenty of it); the pool was very warm if a bit deserted, at the end of a long corridor, and lacking towels. Parking was $25/day with full in/out privileges. So overall, I was happy with the value received for the price I paid; I would have been much less happy at $180.

• Stayed January 2006
8 Thank CanariesPA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2005

After reading all these reviews, I myself like others was worried about what my experience at the Wyndham would be like but to my surprise I was pleased with the overall experience. Like others have said it's not the best looking hotel in the world but I'm not really wasnt looking to stay at a fancy place to begin with. Our room was fine, very clean, no smell, and we were on the 25th floor with an amazing view of the city. The food at the restaurant was ok but you're staying at a hotel in a major city..what do u expect. If u want good food go out...which we did all but one night. We got the breakfast buffet and that was ok..The only bad thing about that was the orange juice.. It had to be the worst juice I have ever tasted in my life...I had family staying at the Marriot in Philly and I visited them and yes it was a lot nicer hotel...but to me the rooms were almost the same... and the Marriot was like $50 more a night. So if you're into how the hotel looks then I would recommend the Marriot, but if you're looking for a nice room @ a nice price then I would go to the Wyndham. I would have no problem going back there.

• Stayed November 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2005

We are a family of 5 who enjoyed our stay at the Wyndham Philadelphia at Franklin Plaza. We stayed here because our Son was marching in the Boscov's Thanksgiving Day Parade on Thanksgiving. The hotel was booked completely and we still checked in and out with no problems. Plenty of staff at the front desk and there was no wait at all.

The parking under the hotel was $25 a day but there is a parking garage across the street that is around $16.00. The garage is well lit and the elevator takes you directly into the main lobby.

I personally really enjoyed this hotel! I like the colors and didn't feel it was outdated in the least. It was actually a beautiful hotel. The main lobby has escalators that take you up to a balcony level.

The rooms are very spacious! We were on the 21st floor and had an amazing view of Philadelphia. I don't have much to base my visit to Philly on, other than the hotel and the parade, but I am surely going to visit again and felt like it is the state of Brotherly Love.

We arrived in our room at 10:55pm one night, after a visit to New York and we were very hungry. Room service is open till 11pm, but we couldn't get anyone to answer. Turns out they were very busy because the hotel was booked FULL and everyone wanted room service. We walked down to the bar (big screen, plenty of places to sit, relaxing atmosphere, friendly bartenders) and asked them if we can order something from them and they took our orders. They went and got our food for us! I highly recommend the Philly Cheese Steak sandwich!!

--We must have stayed here on a good night because I loved this place and will stay there again when we visit again.

Family of 5-
two teenage boys-
one 9 year old daughter-
married 16 years.-

• Stayed November 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2005

I'm writing this review for the people like me who were attending a conference and got stuck with the Wyndham and spent several months worrying about it because of the horror stories below! It's not that bad. Honestly! (though I was expecting very bad things). It's a horrible looking hotel, badly in need of refurbishment. It's primary colours are olive green and dusty brown with slightly dirty cream to offset them. The lobbey is big and loud and without many quiet places to sit. Our room was fine though. I nearly lost it altogether because when we arrived the non smoking room that I had requested had clearly been occupied by someone who smoked and I was sure that this was the beginning of the end (I was already composing my review in my head). The bathroom was very clean (I carefully examined) and my only complaint was that the towel repacement was very erratic (one day we got four wash cloths and no hand towels) but this was sorted out within minutes when I rang housekeeping.
The "information" folder is so out of date that myself and my boyfriend competed to see how many inaccuracies we could find. Incorrect pool times, phone numbers, promises of a laundry that when I rang housekeeping to ask for help in finding it (I'd been wandering the corridors) they said it hadn't been there for "years".
The explanation of the previous reviewer explains a lot. No one seemed to care about keeping up with an image of a hotel-they were very nice to us, just not instilled with the idea of running a good hotel and working in the hotel indutry myself I can understand.
My one helpful tip if you do get "stuck" with the Wyndham is don't panic-you're not there to sepnd too much time in the lobbey. And don't bother with restaurant food. Grab a coffee and pastry in the morning from the concession stand (this is not advertised and you can see why when you compare the 15 dollar breakfast with the 3 dollar coffee and pastry) and eat out for other meals-you're minutes away from the city centre.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Athens, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2005

My husband and I stayed in the Wyndham for 4 nights. Mutltiple problems were encountered: (1) The room had a terrible strong perfume-like spell when the heating unit was turned on. We chose to leave it off and stay in an unventilated room. (2) Check-in was slow and unfriendly. Too many people and too few staff. (3) After a long day of meetings, we chose to eat in the cafe for dinner. We were told to take a seat, there would be a 15 minute wait; yet, only 25% of the tables were occupied. We waited, and they were then out of menu items. We left. (4) Sheets were to to be changed on the 3rd day, unless guests requested changes more frequently. Being environmentally minded, I did not ask for more frequent changes. But, in fact, our sheets were not changed on the 3rd day...they were not changed over the entire 5 days!

I would not stay at this Wyndham again. Probably not at any Wyndhamn.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business