“Decide For Yourself Please..”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #55 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed August 28, 2005

My wives family reunion was held in Philadelphia at the Wyndham July 14-18. It's my common practice to check the reviews of potential hotels on trip advisor before booking. This time I didn't have that luxury since everyone, and all the events for the reunion were scheduled at the Wyndham. Judging by the reviews I read--I would not have stayed at the Wyndham. What a surprise I got. The rooms were clean and the view from my room on the 26th floor was to die for. The staff was friendly and helpful all four days of our stay. In fact, I did not hear a single complaint from anyone in our group of about 50 people staying at the Wyndham for the reunion. The hotel is in a good location and there are some excellent restaurants in the area. A couple of suggestions: do not to eat in the hotel as the food is expensive and there are better places near by. For breakfast go to Yonny's its the best. If you have a car you will find cheaper parking outside of the hotel in some of the nearby parking lots that have reduced rates for late afternoons and weekends.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank Denver_93_11
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

Reviewed August 24, 2005

My family and I spent a night at the Wyndham after a visit to the Philadelphia Zoo. We got a great rate from Hotwire. I was a little nervous after having read some of the other reviews. Fortunately, we didn't experience any problems.
We arrived around 4:30 pm and check-in was courteous and efficient, including the bellman who brought our luggage to our room. The room was clean and spacious enough, with a nice view of the city. We did enjoy a swim in the small, but clean pool. I do think the ventilation in the pool area could have been better. It was rather warm and stuffy.....but after a hot day at the zoo, it felt good.
The hotel is located within walking distance of many restaurants and Philadelphia attractions. I would choose this hotel again on our next trip to Philadelphia.

1  Thank seh68
Reviewed August 21, 2005

We got a deal for $50 from Priceline for a Saturday night stay, but after the reviews here, we were terrified we were walking into the "Bates Motel".

All things considered, it was FINE. A typical highrise convention-style hotel with a decent sized room and the normal ammenities you would expect.

When we first arrived, the line for Check-in was HUGE (30 people deep), but there was a separate line for "By Request Members", which had 1 or 2 people. Fortunately, I have "By Request" and zipped through the check-in.

They did not provide the usual "By Request" drink/snack preferences in the room, but it may have been because I only added the By Request number to the reservation the night before.

Otherwise, it was an uneventful typical stay in a typical 3 star hotel, which is located in the heart of a major city.

1  Thank NJTravel
Reviewed August 20, 2005

This is really not a good hotel. The person at check-in was rude and the room is really filthy and tired. The carpets in this hotel need to be cleaned or replaced.

There is no HBO on the TV - which I can't even believe.

I would not stay here again.

It's difficult to believe that this hotel is part of the Wyndham chain - after staying at the Wyndham in Boston - which was wonderful this is extremely disapointing.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank Denver-Rosie
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 20, 2005

Have been staying at this hotel for last 4 years for 4th of July holiday. Every year the place just looks more run down, less clean, and simply unpleasant. This is despite a full renovation last year. This past year we stayed in a suite (basically an oversized room with a couch). Don't let the pictures of a suite fool you. Our kitchenette was once a closet which had a dirty microwave and broken sink inside. The bedding was another nightmare as there were stains and streaks, not only on the comforter, but also the pillows and sheets. The pool and workout facility is another MAJOR disappointment.

The only reason we continue to stay here is this hotel has the absolute best views of the fireworks in the entire City of Philadelphia.

I really wish another chain would take over this place and whip it into shape, the staff are getting more rude as each year passes. Do not think we will stay here next year as the place has just deteriorated.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 15, 2005

Very convenient location for touring Philadelphia. Staff was friendly, helpful. Room was spacious, clean and well appointed. Beds were very comfortable. Luxurious, all marble bath was complete with our requested extra linens. Joining Wyndham By Request before your visit provides many benefits. For example, you won't wait in the long line to check in or out. You will have personalized refreshments awaiting you on your arrival. Members receive offers of great rate specials.

We were nervous about booking this hotel after reading the bad reviews, but our stay was most enjoyable. The only negative for us was that the indoor pool enclosure was an unbearable 100+ degrees. The family was disappointed that we did not use the pool. Parking in the hotel garage is min. $20/day. We parked in the 12 story city garage across the street for $5 a day on weekends. All considered, a great value. We look forward to returning.

5  Thank Thomas F
A TripAdvisor Member
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed August 15, 2005

I stayed here for a large group conference and was treated like a king. The only downfall I saw was a shortage of staff running the front desk. The staff has to be the best in Philly. They were always gracious and polite, even though some of the guests I saw weren't. Very professional and caring. The rooms were great, cleaned every day and if there was a complaint it was taken care of asap. I would recommend this hotel to whoever would listen.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business