Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #52 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
NJ
“Fine”
Reviewed August 21, 2005

We got a deal for $50 from Priceline for a Saturday night stay, but after the reviews here, we were terrified we were walking into the "Bates Motel".

All things considered, it was FINE. A typical highrise convention-style hotel with a decent sized room and the normal ammenities you would expect.

When we first arrived, the line for Check-in was HUGE (30 people deep), but there was a separate line for "By Request Members", which had 1 or 2 people. Fortunately, I have "By Request" and zipped through the check-in.

They did not provide the usual "By Request" drink/snack preferences in the room, but it may have been because I only added the By Request number to the reservation the night before.

Otherwise, it was an uneventful typical stay in a typical 3 star hotel, which is located in the heart of a major city.

1 Thank NJTravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Denver, CO
Reviewed August 20, 2005

This is really not a good hotel. The person at check-in was rude and the room is really filthy and tired. The carpets in this hotel need to be cleaned or replaced.

There is no HBO on the TV - which I can't even believe.

I would not stay here again.

It's difficult to believe that this hotel is part of the Wyndham chain - after staying at the Wyndham in Boston - which was wonderful this is extremely disapointing.

3 Thank Denver-Rosie

Travelers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Reviewed August 20, 2005

Have been staying at this hotel for last 4 years for 4th of July holiday. Every year the place just looks more run down, less clean, and simply unpleasant. This is despite a full renovation last year. This past year we stayed in a suite (basically an oversized room with a couch). Don't let the pictures of a suite fool you. Our kitchenette was once a closet which had a dirty microwave and broken sink inside. The bedding was another nightmare as there were stains and streaks, not only on the comforter, but also the pillows and sheets. The pool and workout facility is another MAJOR disappointment.

The only reason we continue to stay here is this hotel has the absolute best views of the fireworks in the entire City of Philadelphia.

I really wish another chain would take over this place and whip it into shape, the staff are getting more rude as each year passes. Do not think we will stay here next year as the place has just deteriorated.

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed August 15, 2005

Very convenient location for touring Philadelphia. Staff was friendly, helpful. Room was spacious, clean and well appointed. Beds were very comfortable. Luxurious, all marble bath was complete with our requested extra linens. Joining Wyndham By Request before your visit provides many benefits. For example, you won't wait in the long line to check in or out. You will have personalized refreshments awaiting you on your arrival. Members receive offers of great rate specials.

We were nervous about booking this hotel after reading the bad reviews, but our stay was most enjoyable. The only negative for us was that the indoor pool enclosure was an unbearable 100+ degrees. The family was disappointed that we did not use the pool. Parking in the hotel garage is min. $20/day. We parked in the 12 story city garage across the street for $5 a day on weekends. All considered, a great value. We look forward to returning.

5 Thank Thomas F
Reviewed August 15, 2005

I stayed here for a large group conference and was treated like a king. The only downfall I saw was a shortage of staff running the front desk. The staff has to be the best in Philly. They were always gracious and polite, even though some of the guests I saw weren't. Very professional and caring. The rooms were great, cleaned every day and if there was a complaint it was taken care of asap. I would recommend this hotel to whoever would listen.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 13, 2005

Unfortunately, this hotel was not as clean as it could have been. The staff were pretty aloof and standoffish.

First, when I lifted the top to my toilet after first walking into my room. There was someone else's hair and toilet paper in there.

Second, when I took my shower for the first time I realized that someone else's bar of soap was still sitting in the bathtub.

Third, I pulled back the covers to sleep for the first time and saw some black streaks on the white pillows. The top pillows did not look to be so clean either. I ended up using one other clean looking pillow.

Fourth, I was looking behind the furniture for electrical outlets to plug in my cell phone charger and lo and behold someone else's dirty washcloth was sitting behind the refrigerator.

Fifth, while they cleaned and straightened the room the first day, they did not clean it entirely the second day because I left in a rush and left the iron/ironing board out so the iron could cool. They were still in the same position and were not stowed away when I returned.

Sixth, I didn't even let them come in to clean on the last day that I was there because I came home tired after some early morning meetings, and the room still had not been cleaned at about 1:45pm in the afternoon.

Seventh, the walls were paper thin, so I could hear my neighbor's conversations and I'm sure they could hear mine.

I was on the 15th floor and there were helicopters flying in the middle of the night right outside my window. The first night it was pretty alarming.

Good things: The female concierge was very helpful and nice. The bellhop was very helpful. The hotel is in a decent and safe location.

I just left without properly checking out because the shuttle was about to leave to get me to the airport and the guy at the front desk was having a long conversation on the phone about "last night" while he saw me in line waiting.

I can't recommend this hotel. I'm used to much cleaner hotels with friendlier and more responsive staff than this.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Clearwater, FL
Reviewed August 9, 2005

After getting assigned the Wyndham on our Priceline bid, I read the reviews of this hotel and prepared myself for the worst. But when we arrived, we were impressed. The location is great, the lobby is very nice and the check in line had only about six people in it, with three clerks behind the desk.

The desk clerk was very friendly and since it was our 25th anniversary, we asked for a quiet room and she congratulated us and gave us a deluxe room on the 25th floor with a great view. The room was clean and even luxurious. We did not eat in the restaurant so can't comment on that, but the rest of the staff was very friendly and helpful, and the housekeeping staff was very accommodating. In every way we had a great experience, remarkable considering the bargain price we paid for the room.

1 Thank TampaJack