“#1 staff in Philadelphia”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #51 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
A TripAdvisor Member
“#1 staff in Philadelphia”
Reviewed August 15, 2005

I stayed here for a large group conference and was treated like a king. The only downfall I saw was a shortage of staff running the front desk. The staff has to be the best in Philly. They were always gracious and polite, even though some of the guests I saw weren't. Very professional and caring. The rooms were great, cleaned every day and if there was a complaint it was taken care of asap. I would recommend this hotel to whoever would listen.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 13, 2005

Unfortunately, this hotel was not as clean as it could have been. The staff were pretty aloof and standoffish.

First, when I lifted the top to my toilet after first walking into my room. There was someone else's hair and toilet paper in there.

Second, when I took my shower for the first time I realized that someone else's bar of soap was still sitting in the bathtub.

Third, I pulled back the covers to sleep for the first time and saw some black streaks on the white pillows. The top pillows did not look to be so clean either. I ended up using one other clean looking pillow.

Fourth, I was looking behind the furniture for electrical outlets to plug in my cell phone charger and lo and behold someone else's dirty washcloth was sitting behind the refrigerator.

Fifth, while they cleaned and straightened the room the first day, they did not clean it entirely the second day because I left in a rush and left the iron/ironing board out so the iron could cool. They were still in the same position and were not stowed away when I returned.

Sixth, I didn't even let them come in to clean on the last day that I was there because I came home tired after some early morning meetings, and the room still had not been cleaned at about 1:45pm in the afternoon.

Seventh, the walls were paper thin, so I could hear my neighbor's conversations and I'm sure they could hear mine.

I was on the 15th floor and there were helicopters flying in the middle of the night right outside my window. The first night it was pretty alarming.

Good things: The female concierge was very helpful and nice. The bellhop was very helpful. The hotel is in a decent and safe location.

I just left without properly checking out because the shuttle was about to leave to get me to the airport and the guy at the front desk was having a long conversation on the phone about "last night" while he saw me in line waiting.

I can't recommend this hotel. I'm used to much cleaner hotels with friendlier and more responsive staff than this.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Clearwater, FL
Reviewed August 9, 2005

After getting assigned the Wyndham on our Priceline bid, I read the reviews of this hotel and prepared myself for the worst. But when we arrived, we were impressed. The location is great, the lobby is very nice and the check in line had only about six people in it, with three clerks behind the desk.

The desk clerk was very friendly and since it was our 25th anniversary, we asked for a quiet room and she congratulated us and gave us a deluxe room on the 25th floor with a great view. The room was clean and even luxurious. We did not eat in the restaurant so can't comment on that, but the rest of the staff was very friendly and helpful, and the housekeeping staff was very accommodating. In every way we had a great experience, remarkable considering the bargain price we paid for the room.

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank TampaJack
Reviewed July 30, 2005

We stayed here 3 nights for a large group meeting. Staff is very rude - particularly the wait staff! Rooms not clean. Noisy. Got locked out of room 4 times as key card would not work. Each time had to go to front desk and get new key card. It was midnight the first time the card wouldn't work and after going down to the front desk 3 times to get a new card demanded maintenance to come with us to open door. They had to jimmy it open and put a new battery in door lock. This worked for 1 day and had same problem the next.

The hotel food was awful. The filet I had one night tasted very funky. Had only 1 bite and paid for it the next 3 days with the runs! Other people in our group got sick too.

Do not stay at this hotel at any cost!

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
Reviewed July 19, 2005

Check in line was slow since there was only one person behind the desk. There was no one at the wyndham by request line. But once it got to our turn, the staff was very pleasant and we got our room very quickly. Our room was lovely and had all the welcome amenities that we wanted (cranberry juice, bottled water, cheese and crackers, extra towels). We had a beautiful view of the city. I really like the notes that the by request manager leaves. Gives me a very warm and welcomed feeling. We only stayed for one night so we did not require much service. The parking fee of $20 a night is a bit high. But it was convenient and cheaper than putting the car in the garage without the hotel's discount. We got a great rate for the room when wyndham was having a 72 hour sale for by request members. For $79 a night it was very worth it!

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 7, 2005

My experience at the Wyndham Franklin Plaza Hotel during the NECC conference in June, 2005 was pleasant. All staff members were courteous and respectful. I was surprised to be greeted by staff members in halls and on the elevator. My room was clean, and I truly believe that it was okay to reuse towels, etc. for the sake of the environment. I do this at home, too. Staff members answered my request for shampoo in a prompt, courteous fashion. All of my questions were answered in a professional manner. I felt that staff members valued my stay with them. I would not hesitate to stay at the Wyndham during my next visit.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
Florida
Reviewed June 26, 2005

After reading the reviews, I was a little scared, but figured for one night, could it really be that bad? So yeah, it wasn't all *that* bad. The room was pretty decent, though it had a musty smell. The lobby or at least the restaurant looks like it might be getting remodeled. We ate there for a late dinner, and the food was deplorable. It was actually the first time I have ever sent a meal back to the kitchen. Even worse was the wait service who were beyond rude and seemed to care less about their customers.

Overall, I think I would have been just as fine at a Travelodge. Unfortunately, this place does not have Travelodge prices though! I will be back in Philly next summer, and I can say outright, I will not be coming back to the Wyndham in Philly.

• Stayed May 2005