“Home Away from Home”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #55 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Mt. Hermon, Louisiana
Reviewed July 7, 2005

My experience at the Wyndham Franklin Plaza Hotel during the NECC conference in June, 2005 was pleasant. All staff members were courteous and respectful. I was surprised to be greeted by staff members in halls and on the elevator. My room was clean, and I truly believe that it was okay to reuse towels, etc. for the sake of the environment. I do this at home, too. Staff members answered my request for shampoo in a prompt, courteous fashion. All of my questions were answered in a professional manner. I felt that staff members valued my stay with them. I would not hesitate to stay at the Wyndham during my next visit.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed June 26, 2005

After reading the reviews, I was a little scared, but figured for one night, could it really be that bad? So yeah, it wasn't all *that* bad. The room was pretty decent, though it had a musty smell. The lobby or at least the restaurant looks like it might be getting remodeled. We ate there for a late dinner, and the food was deplorable. It was actually the first time I have ever sent a meal back to the kitchen. Even worse was the wait service who were beyond rude and seemed to care less about their customers.

Overall, I think I would have been just as fine at a Travelodge. Unfortunately, this place does not have Travelodge prices though! I will be back in Philly next summer, and I can say outright, I will not be coming back to the Wyndham in Philly.

3  Thank tofubeast
Reviewed June 19, 2005

Stayed here for a conference in May 2005. For $ 186 a night (including taxes) we got:

1. A double-bed-sized bottom sheet (unfitted) on a queen-sized bed. The top edge of the sheet just came to the top edge of the mattress.
Likewise the bottom edge of the sheet. Result: the bottom sheet was a ball of mess halfway through each night. (After the horror of the first night, the next night we used safety pins to affix the bottom sheet in place. The next day, housekeeping had taken away the pins.)

2. If your room is on the east side of the hotel, you will be exposed to an adjacent office building that has two very noisy air conditioning units on the roof. Those units kept me from sleeping. I moved myself down the slight hall in the room, up next to the door, and lay on the floor to sleep. The noise was less there.

3. Yes, the walls were thin. Next door there was an extended conversation late into the night. They were talking only at ordinary volume. But I had to bang on the wall to get them to stop so that we could sleep.

4. When we arrived by car, we pulled up to the unloading zone and waited for a bellhop. And waited. And waited. Finally I entered the lobby and managed to disengage two of them (reluctantly) from their conversation. I think that they resented our arrival.

5. There is a very spacious, almost atrium-like lobby that includes a bar and restaurant area. So noise should not be a problem. But when my wife and I wanted to have a quiet drink, we could not. The televisions in the bar had the sound turned up so loud that, even in that huge lobby, and with us seated at the most remote table, it was hard to converse.

6. Same lobby, same bar. There is a grand piano and someone who did a good job of playing it as background music. Nice. But once, when the professional was not there, a couple of kids were allowed to bang away playing "Chopsticks" or whatever. They were not stopped. Not so nice.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed June 11, 2005

I stayed here for a conference. The restaurant is over-priced with deplorable service. Lobby staff are disinterested and surly. Few amenities; less than average rooms for the price.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 30, 2005

First let me say, the person who suggests signing up for Wyndham by request is so right! There's no reason not to!

The hotel was sold out for Memorial Day weekend. We showed up after being int he car for 5 hours... we saw a line for checkin... then we saw the red carpet for Wyndham by request check in. Thank lord. Skipped the line. Great!

Got to the room only to find they double booked the room. Called the front desk who apologized and offered to put us in a suite! :-)

A few minutes after getting into the room which was clean and exactly what I expected... up shows somebody with 2 corona's and cheese and crackers! (part of wyndham by request a welcome drink and snack).

Had no problems for my 2 day stay. The location is decent. Cabs are not that expensive. We walked out and enjoyed Philly.

Wyndham by request... free and gives you a lot of perks.

3  Thank Cath75
New York
Reviewed May 29, 2005

First, the wait at check-in was only about an hour. Second, they don't have enough parking and the parking personnel aren't really interested about it. The parking lot also seems to have a severe roof leaking problem.
The rooms are no better than any other average hotel. The toilet seat was broken in my room. There was an iron in my room but no ironing board. Security inside the hotel is non-existant. Nothing seems to work in this hotel. The price of their rooms and lack of service provided, it's a horrible deal. If you tell the front desk, you aren't happy with your stay, they can only say, "we're sorry about the problem." I would never stay at any Wyndham hotel ever again. This is a pure LOSER folks. This is a serious warning.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 23, 2005

Having read the reviews on TripAdvisor regarding this hotel we went with mixed feelings - I got to stay since my wife was in the hotel for a conference. The lobby is spacious although our rooms weren't ready as requested and we had to queue since the check in desk seemed to be staffed by 1 person!!! This being a nightmare for our 14 month old who needed some rest after a 10 hour journey!! . Our room was on the 25th Floor and had great reviews of Philadelphia and in the distance the famous steps Sly climbed in his 'Rocky' Film.
The hotel is in a decent location, it's what you should expect - the room was large but alas looked a little dated - it is spacious although the bed spread did smell a bit.
All in all not that bad we may have been lucky and got a nicer room than other reviewers who have fared worse experiences in the past.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business