“Stay someplace when in Philly”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #52 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
A TripAdvisor Member
“Stay someplace when in Philly”
Reviewed May 29, 2005

First, the wait at check-in was only about an hour. Second, they don't have enough parking and the parking personnel aren't really interested about it. The parking lot also seems to have a severe roof leaking problem.
The rooms are no better than any other average hotel. The toilet seat was broken in my room. There was an iron in my room but no ironing board. Security inside the hotel is non-existant. Nothing seems to work in this hotel. The price of their rooms and lack of service provided, it's a horrible deal. If you tell the front desk, you aren't happy with your stay, they can only say, "we're sorry about the problem." I would never stay at any Wyndham hotel ever again. This is a pure LOSER folks. This is a serious warning.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
hitchin
Reviewed May 23, 2005

Having read the reviews on TripAdvisor regarding this hotel we went with mixed feelings - I got to stay since my wife was in the hotel for a conference. The lobby is spacious although our rooms weren't ready as requested and we had to queue since the check in desk seemed to be staffed by 1 person!!! This being a nightmare for our 14 month old who needed some rest after a 10 hour journey!! . Our room was on the 25th Floor and had great reviews of Philadelphia and in the distance the famous steps Sly climbed in his 'Rocky' Film.
The hotel is in a decent location, it's what you should expect - the room was large but alas looked a little dated - it is spacious although the bed spread did smell a bit.
All in all not that bad we may have been lucky and got a nicer room than other reviewers who have fared worse experiences in the past.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank redeemer71
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 1, 2005

I stayed at the Wyndham Philadelphia Hotel February 27 – March 1, 2005, as part of a conference. I had the worst hotel experience ever. If I had experienced only one incident, it would be understandable. However, my experience at this Wyndham clearly demonstrates that the hotel has a culture of providing sub-standard service to their guest.

I am a Wyndham by Request member and this is the first Wyndham that I have stayed in as a guest. When I arrived I informed the front desk that I was a Wyndham by Request member. I was quickly informed that because I was part of a group, I would not receive any of the amenities associated with the program.

When I made my reservation I requested a smoking room, however, this is not what I received. I called guest services and was given another room. When I arrived at the second room, I discovered that the lights didn’t work in the lamps. I called guest services and an engineer was dispatched to my room. I then had to call again because I didn’t have an ashtray nor did I have a soap dish. I had difficulty sleeping my two nights because I could feel the springs in the bed. The comforter was filthy!

The day after I checked in and returned to my room, I noticed that my room had not been properly cleaned. It appears that the only thing that housekeeping did in the room was make the bed. There were dirty glasses in the room from the night before. The towel on the rack in the bathroom was dirty. The waste paper baskets had not been emptied. The empty wrappers from food from the previous night were left on the desk. The cover to the ice bucket that I used the previous night was left on the side of the bucket. The ice that melted to water was still in the bucket and liners were not provided. There was also a dirty towel left on my bed.

I called desk services and was transferred to “Maria”, Director of Room Services and left a message. My call was never returned. I called guest services and asked for the General Manager and was informed it was Kevin Kobishop. When I asked to be transferred, I was transferred to his administrative assistant. I left a message asking that Mr. Kobishop call me back; again, no response.

That evening, I wanted to put out the “Do not Disturb” sign and discovered that my room did not come with one. Based upon my previous experience, I did not bother to call to request one.

This is not what I expected from Wyndham Hotels. This will be my last stay in a Wyndham.

I am very disappointed: I expected more.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank BrooklynRoxie

Travelers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Washington, DC
Reviewed April 25, 2005

I have learned by experience that it is foolish to stay at a Wyndham hotel without joining their By-Request program. Not only do they give nice freebies (choice of beverage plus snackfood, and free local calls), but they also give you superior rooms. Overall, Wyndham properties are not as deluxe as some others, but the By-Request program goes a long way to improve your chances of having a pleasant stay.

The staff at Wyndham's Franklin Square property were unfailingly polite, from reception, cleaning staff to the concierge. Also the property is very well situated being right in the center...a few blocks to Walnut Street and City Hall, and a bit further (but still very reasonable distance) to the Museum of Art and Independence Hall (opposite directions but same distance). I would definitely recommend this property to anyone, but don't forget to join the By-Request Program.

If I had not been upgraded to a high floor suite, I would probably have rated the property three instead of five "stars".

• Stayed April 2005
3 Thank Thom D
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed April 19, 2005

I travel extensively and this is by far the worst hotel I have ever seen. Rooms are dirty, carpets are strained, plugs were not working in the bathrooms, the coffee machine hadn't been cleaned for ages and there was no hot water when I tried to take a shower.
The gym was dangerous with broken equipment, broken mirrors and electric wires hanging from the ceiling. There was dust everywhere, dirty towels left on the floor and none of the machines had been cleaned for weeks. Really disgusting. Stay away at all costs

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank bugaboophil
Reviewed April 16, 2005

This is a fine hotel for the Hotwire price!

I was running late for the check-in, so I called them from my cell phone asking for a late arrival, and they checked me in over the phone.

My room was clean, the queen-sized bed was ultra-comfy...and the staff was just wonderful.

And the self-parking option is (for Center City prices) actually reasonable.

But, if you don't have a wad of cash on you, the food and the drinks will absolutely *kill* your budget. I was a late arrival (and well past that golden "room service" time)....two glasses of white wine and one order of veggie quesadillas ordered from the bar *will* set you back 25 buckaroos (trust me on this...I paid the bill).

I still don't understand why hotels think that putting a coffee maker in the bathroom is one of their better ideas, but then again, much dumber ideas have been foisted upon us.

• Stayed April 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 8, 2005

I was worried after reading reviews of this hotel. People are either too picky or born with a silver spoon.
This hotel is nice. Beds comfortable, staff nice, and good location(near 30th Street Amtrak Station).
We paid less than $80.00 a night, w
hich was a bargain for a great hotel.
Recommend it and would stay again.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member